Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Euro???

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2003, 08:35 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't shoot my head of about this, if it has already been done, but I would like to know peoples real views rather then what the media want us to believe

[Edited by ianmiller999 - 8/15/2003 8:36:00 PM]
Old 15 August 2003, 10:52 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree completely
Old 15 August 2003, 11:34 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

What is it you want to know exactly?
Old 16 August 2003, 05:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Avoid it and remain able to have some say in your way of life.

Les
Old 16 August 2003, 07:26 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I know the govenment has its view on it but I would like to hear your views on it without being negative or offensive, why are Brits so against it.??
Old 16 August 2003, 08:03 PM
uksti
Scooby Regular

If we can benefit mankind by everyone having enough to eat, drink and a home then great !

If that means a gradual movement towards an integrated Europe then so be it. We look different, speak different and sometimes think different. We shoud celebrate the differences and learn from each other.

The Euro is a means, in part, to reduce the differences that should not be celebrated. My country could do so much more if we try - let's make the foreigners those who destroy our future by shallow, selfish and immoral means.

Fight for all our futures !

Baz

Old 16 August 2003, 09:11 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

Our current government is corrupt enough at the moment

Put our currency in the hands of an even bigger bunch of crooks, and all but the elite classes are doomed

The Euro is not just about money, but about power. Trouble is that it is a one-way process

mb

Trending Topics

Old 16 August 2003, 10:56 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

For Euro and EU just take a look at Checzkoslovakia and the USSR... look what happened there..oh and Yugoslavia...... is that what we are headed for? You cannot make people of differing cultures live together in harmony. Won't work, we'll all be killing each other before long.
Old 17 August 2003, 01:23 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

If we can benefit mankind by everyone having enough to eat, drink and a home then great !

If that means a gradual movement towards an integrated Europe then so be it.
Surely you are talking about communism, not an integrated Europe?
Old 17 August 2003, 02:31 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The economies of the countries involved are too different for it too work IMO. Just look at the problems Eire have had in controlling inflation as the exchange rate set centrally is too low.

God only knows the problems Poland and other east europeans will bring.

Switzerland has in right in my opinion, and the perceived lack of trade opportunities doesnt affect them.
Old 17 August 2003, 06:13 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It kinda makes you wonder how much money there is to be made from cheese, penknives and cuckoo clocks though
Old 17 August 2003, 09:26 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surely you are talking about communism, not an integrated Europe?
that is 100 % right ! that is part of the reason why i am against the euro . once we enter , that's it we are totally in their hands , whoever THEY are , and if you can't see how they are screwing us already then you are one of them !!!!
Old 17 August 2003, 10:25 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

well i dont see a problem.

but im heading for france soon so i could be biased
Old 17 August 2003, 11:01 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

It kinda makes you wonder how much money there is to be made from cheese, penknives and cuckoo clocks though
Tell you what mate, I'd love to have 0.01% of the gross income from that lot, not to mention the chocolate The Swiss have it all sorted, they only joined the UN this year so joining in with the rest of the EU is a long, long way off !
Old 17 August 2003, 11:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Adopting the Euro means eventual federation with Europe. That means that our whole lives would be controlled by the commissioners. Those are the ones who were caught out having lost immense amounts of European money without trace so they sacked themselves, took the severance pay, carried on doing the job because they said there was no-one else to do it, and then reapppointed themselves,keeping the severance pay of course. Our votes would mean nothing since we would be part of the Euro government and our MEP's would be only a fraction of the size of the rest of the parliament.

So we have to remember that being part of Europe means being told how to live by the commissioners, can you trust them?, and being effectively disenfranchised. We should not be conned by that superficial argument of being able to influence Europe. The only influence would come from the small group in absolute power and that would be for their own benefit-certainly not ours.

Fill your boots Big Sinky, I cant help being cynical about it all! It seems like our only defence against the con artists.

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 8/17/2003 10:23:35 PM]
Old 17 August 2003, 01:07 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Wait till the referendum.........we'll see.
Old 17 August 2003, 01:38 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I have no wish to join the Euro until all countries in the system at the moment obey the rules completely for a minimum period of five consecutive years, and then just maybe I'll consider it. But seeing as they have only have the Euro for two years and Germany, France and Italy, are all currently braeking the rules governing national spending defecits, I'll have to wait at least another 5 years.
Old 20 August 2003, 09:01 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
that's it we are totally in their hands , whoever THEY are
The longer we stay out of the Euro, then less chance that 'THEY' is actually 'US'!

Currently the UK's economy is the strongest in Europe and is thus being used as the main argument to stay out! But in the longer term, once everything settles and the world gets used to it) then the Euro zone will undoubtedly become one of the top 3 world economies (if not #1) and little old Britain will gradually sink lower and lower until we're worthless!

Then we HAVE to join the Euro (or Dollar) and our say in Europe will be negligable and 'THEY' will control us... If we join now, while out economy is so strong, then yes, in the short term our economy will take a hit to support the weaker countries in the Euro zone, but overall, 'WE' will be in the driving seat behind the Euro economy and it will almost certainly be the #1 world economy!

Just my €0.10 worth
Old 20 August 2003, 09:09 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Cool

You know what happens to small fish who live in big ponds..........they get eaten by the bigger fish.
Old 20 August 2003, 09:10 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Question

As for Leslie..........is he a seagull following ze trawler?..
Old 20 August 2003, 09:50 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait till the referendum.........we'll see.
the trouble is there wont be one if tony ******* blair thinks he will loose ,
Old 20 August 2003, 11:29 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

I've got loads of Euros and see nothing wrong with any of them
Old 21 August 2003, 05:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Paulr

The quality of your soundbites is similar to that of the Government.

You should eat more greens!

Les
Old 21 August 2003, 05:32 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'll eat more greens if you promise to stop reading the Daily Mail...

Old 21 August 2003, 05:38 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Lets face facts - there is currently no fecking way the government would win a referendum

Thats why we haven't had one yet!

When we do (if!) it will be on their terms so win or lose they ultimately win....

And who says we dont trust the government...LOL:P
Old 22 August 2003, 12:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I can honestly say that I would not read that one.

Tonight I shall mostly be eating Broccoli!

Les
Old 22 August 2003, 01:14 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

a few points from the "no" camp.

from a logical standpoint, the euro will only be as strong as the weakest economies in the chain. italy, greece, portugal etc etc. stronger econcomies will have to take up the slack at their own expense. that means us.

from a trading perspective, 53% of our trade is with the US and the RoW; 47% is intra-EU (DTi figs), suggesting that our economic centre of gravity performs best as a bridging point between the old world and the new.

from a sovereignty point of view, entering the euro will mean we give up independent economic governance, particularly over taxation and interest rates. this is naturally a very thick, thin end of an even thicker wedge. economic union will inevitably integrate foreign, health, education, defence and law & order policies in its slipstream.

from an independence point of view, power will gradually become transferred from the house of commons to the EU, an undemocratic body well documented for its a) incompetence b) secrecy c) lack of accountability d)profligacy and e) corruption.

from a practical point of view, it will take at least 20 to 30 years to see if the euro can work. to see what kind of cycle it has and to see if it can deliver what the politicians say over the long term.

ask yourself: would you voluntarily take a seat on the test flight of an experimental new aircraft that had been cobbled together from components of variable quality, piloted by individuals of questionable probity and prone to say anything to convince you otherwise? no. you wait and see if the thing crashes - or flies.

i'm all for being part of a mutual trading sphere within the EU - i think it would be madness to withdraw - but i do not want to be a sub-state in giscard d'estaing's grand vision of a federal europe. the whole thing stinks of a self-serving franco-german political axis: two nations who have an historical track record in the untrustworthy, the unbelievable and the unconscionable.

i value our independence, such as it remains.

the euro is a preposterously undemocratic exercise in political vanity as it stands.

we've been here before several times and much the same sentiments are being voiced. check out some of leslie's articulate posts on this (thread started by swaussie a few months back?): the key point is the underhand devolution of sovereignty that comes with it. labour do not like being questioned on the sovereignty issue because they know that it is the achilles' heel - so they just bleat "little englander" at anyone with a differing opinion.

the EU will have to be re-invented as a democratic body before i consider it. the negatives outweigh the positives. and the negatives are profound.

don't waste your vote when the referendum comes.

[Edited by Holy Ghost - 8/22/2003 1:18:22 PM]

[Edited by Holy Ghost - 8/22/2003 1:21:51 PM]
Old 22 August 2003, 01:28 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

even though the euro is gaining on the pound these days - it was 1.7 now its 1.4!
Old 22 August 2003, 03:32 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

that's as maybe but you can't judge its viability on the exchange rate alone. the euro has insufficient track record as yet.

you also have to look at the implications for sovereignty and the devolution of our governmental powers.

eg, do you feel your taxes should be set by the prevailing conditions in the UK or the prevailing conditions across several disparate countries in the eurozone? should your mortgage rate be set according to the bank of england's interest rate and in turn, your lender - or be set by the european bank based on a multiplicity of pan-border social and political considerations that may not be in your favour?

did you have the opportunity to vote for romano prodi? did you have the opportunity to vote for the EU commissioners? what input have you been permitted to the EU constitution?

these are crucial considerations because they affect the fundamental fabric of our independence and the accountability to the electorate of parliament.

as long as the EU remains as undemocratic, stifling and corrupt as it is, the euro project will only ever be a fudge that is paid for by its strongest economic contributors - to the glee of the weakest members and the dismay of the rest.

we are already helping underwrite the economies of italy, greece and portugal. don't see why we should be expected to do more when we are already a massive net contributor to the EU.

just my thoughts: it'll be down to individual instinctive feel at the referendum ballot box.

Quick Reply: The Euro???