Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why does Canada an US not like each other?

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2003, 09:21 AM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the Americans (US) blaming the Canadians, and the Canadians blaming the States for the big blackout, just made me wonder.

I was on holiday in Portugal a couple of years ago, and there were quite a few Canadians - they hated it if you asked if they were from the States!

Is this just a friendly rivalry, or is there more to it. At least England and Scotland have had a few wars, so we've an excuse
Old 15 August 2003, 09:24 AM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Could you imagine being neighbours to the Americans

Old 15 August 2003, 09:26 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

The US and Canada have also had a war between themselves.

Canadians don't like the Yanks for pretty much the same reasons most other people don't, but intellectual snobbery seems to be fairly high on the list.

Its unfortunate that most people outside the North American continent cannot distinguish between the US and Canadian accent, therefore the Canadian get fed up with being tarred with the same brush.

Just try calling a Kiwi an 'Aussie' and watch them climb the walls.......
Old 15 August 2003, 10:02 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Reffro, ive been shouting at my fruit all morning and it hasnt budged!!! is it broken?

sorry couldnt resist
Old 15 August 2003, 10:16 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Brain Drain..... All the brainiacs in Canada eventually move to the US for more money and a high quailty of living. Thats one place I'm thinking of going when I finish this fooking PhD. It leaves the country short of Doctors, architects, policemen on horses etc..

Old 15 August 2003, 01:03 PM
kissmyarse
Scooby Newbie

Canada is boredom on a national scale.
Old 15 August 2003, 01:07 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

well my uncle lives in canada and he just acts american to me

Trending Topics

Old 15 August 2003, 01:09 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Everyone hates Americans. Americans hate Canadians because they are all stupid and boring. Canadians hate themselves for the same reasons. Americans also can't understand why Canadians do not shoot each other more regularly. They veiw this behaviour as subversive.
Old 15 August 2003, 01:21 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

I have Canadian cousins and have been over there many times....I find the Canadian people usually friendly, intelligent and warm. I'm sure Canada is like all other countries.... a percentage are going to be thick or stupid just like we have here or there must be in France, Germany USA etc. To generalise is to show just how ill-informed one is.
As for the Canada/USA divide and the animosity therein, its just like the north/south divide here or the Scots/ Welsh/ English dislikes going on. Human nature I guess.
Old 15 August 2003, 01:24 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Question

To generalise is to show just how ill-informed one is
hmmm... is someone taking this seriously then?

Old 15 August 2003, 01:46 PM
madbrit
Scooby Regular

I read these comments with some amount of humour. I have to, or I would feel very annoyed.

The Canadians Dumb? Just re-read your comments. As for Boring, I would rather that than worrying about leaving my car on the street for some yob to key it or worse....

At least we arent considering going into the Euro
Old 15 August 2003, 01:50 PM
madbrit
Scooby Regular

DanB,

Your right, the wages in the US are an attraction.... but it has nothing to do with quality of living.

Ask the average Canadian about wanting to move to the US and they look at you gone of.

Ask the average Brit, and they would bite your arm of to move to the US. In fact, it makes me sick the way the Brits *** kiss anything the US does.

They swoon over them like they want to get in their knickers

Old 15 August 2003, 01:50 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

madbrit - Personally, I have no problems with canadians. In fact, my first girlfriend was canadian. I have been to vancouver and thought that it was a great place. I just enjoy perpetuating national stereotypes; that's all.

Old 15 August 2003, 05:34 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

Talking

At least we aren't considering going into the Euro
Yep but don't you use the dollar which if i'm right came from the US so where was that going

I'm a normal/average Brit and i would have to be dragged screaming to the US and to live!

I like Canadians eh they remind me of less brash or softer Americans and it's similar to Kiwi's and Aussie's.

Edit to get the bloody quote to work!!

[Edited by triple top - 8/15/2003 5:37:00 PM]
Old 15 August 2003, 05:51 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

Invasion Plans
Old 15 August 2003, 07:52 PM
madbrit
Scooby Regular

Triple top - We may be the runt of the litter compared to the US, but were not run by Brussels

Every time I phone home to the UK, all I hear is "Bloody Euro" this, and "Bloody Euro" that .... " Were going to be dragged in... " cry me a river... "We wont have a say any more..."

Boo hooo

Well, elect idiots and thats what you get

Same with us and Cretien (or is it Cretin?). Anyway, some wacko French pratt.
Old 15 August 2003, 10:27 PM
triple top
Scooby Regular

A Frenchman running Canada and the US on your doorstep and controlling your power can it get any worse!

BTW what are you Canadian or British?? your user name is a spurious to say the least.
Old 15 August 2003, 10:34 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Americans also can't understand why Canadians do not shoot each other more regularly. They veiw this behaviour as subversive.
LOL

Personally, I'd love to move to Canada or the States Applied for a job in Victoria, BC a few months ago, but never got a reply
Old 15 August 2003, 11:52 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Canada - All the good things that US offers, without the Americans

Joolz
Old 16 August 2003, 02:15 AM
madbrit
Scooby Regular

Triple Top - I have spent about 50/50 between Canada and the UK. I love aspects of both Countries, and cant make my mind up where I belong To be honest, I have made the decision that England is home. Cant wait to get back.

I am proud of both Countries. The one thing I am envious of the States is their love of Country. It is almost universal in the US - unlike the UK. Cant stand to hear people run it (or Canada) down.

Kevin Mc - Shame you didnt hear back. Victoria (Vancouver Island) is the most like England. Rainy in the Winter, great sunshine in the summer. Nice pubs, very much an English feel all round.

I get the same thing when applying for jobs in the UK - you pretty much have to make your mind up to move and take the chance. I think companies believe it is too much effort to consider a remote candidate. Bad manners not to reply, but there you go.

Old 16 August 2003, 08:43 AM
Davestamf
Scooby Regular

ProperCharlie

Everyone hates Americans.
Why is it perfectly acceptable to make such remarks, yet anything similar said about other nationalities is treated as extreme racism?

By the way, not everyone hates Americans.
Old 16 August 2003, 10:23 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

Yea my mate tony likes them
Old 16 August 2003, 10:46 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

it is all relative if i had to choose between the Yanks and the French well the Yanks win ever time!

At least we have many things in common.

where with the French the only thing in common is a mutual dislike for each other
Old 16 August 2003, 11:49 AM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

People on this board complain about Yanks all the time. I just open a can of Budweiser, climb into my monster truck, and crush wimply little foreign cars until I feel better.

Old 16 August 2003, 04:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Mayor of Toronto put it quite well, when asked "What do you say about the USA blaming Canada for the power outage" he replied "It's not suprising, when have you EVER heard the USA accept ANY blame, no matter how small for ANYTHING"

Did make me chuckle somewhat.

As some are aware, I spend a somewhat unhealthy amount of time in the USA, plus I now live in Canada. Do I hate yanks? Well, no, not really. My grandfather moved from Ireland to Chicago where he grew up and then came to his senses and came to england . Plus one of his sons has lived in the USA for over 25 years. I'm kinda americanised really. I do like it out there, and here (Canada).

I can totally see why people hate americans though, most, but NOT all, do seem to be the sterotypical lard ****, big mouthed, totally uninformed and insular type of person.

As I've said before, if the world is a playground, then the USA is the little spoiled brat who thinks he is better than anyone else and everyone should do what he says when he says it and if he does not get his way he stamps his feet until he gets it.

I think most people get bored with the USA going on about how great it is, how they are the best at everything. How they won WWII for us, how they are stepping in to wipe out terrorisim (we'll ignore the fact that you got bombed because you stuck your nose in where it was not wanted, and you're doing it again and WILL learn another hard lesson if you're not careful).

The USA does have some good points, hell, people whinge about the UK in much the same way as americans whinge about the USA. it's just life.

I think part of the problem comes from the fact that the USA in general does not seem to see the world outside of it's borders. Hell, most people STILL don't have a passport and some have not even travelled out of their own state, but then again it is a BIG BIG BIG place. When I was in the USA I wanted to see coverage of world events, and it does not really happen, it's all about the USA. at least in the UK you hear about world events, over here, nope, not much info. ok, we've heard about the heatwave, but that's about it really.

Another point is the lack of common sense and some intellegence (not saying I'm mr Brain here, I'm not!). An example? My friend was at Niagra Falls the other day. An american couple were standing next to them, she overheard them say "oh my! it's raining, but there's not a cloud in the sky, isn't that weird?" and her husbanded agreed with her. What's wrong with that? well, it was the mist from the falls that was falling on them, and it was certainly as clear as ***** on a cow to my friend that the 'rain' was from the falls!

I have found that Canadains don't like yanks, for many of the reasons listed above, plus there is the fact they get mistaking for yanks, which DOES upset them.

Can I tell a difference? yes, I can. How? well, for a start, there is the accent it IS diffrent, mainly pronunciation of certain words (aboot anyone? - only heard one or two say this) or 'eh' (pronounced 'a') at the end of sentences) but the other fact is that if you walk into a bar, the american will be the person with the loud and brash voice, the Canadain will be the quieter chap talking to him!

As said, I DO like Americans, hell, I have some really good american friends, and I love them to bits, and they are NOT your sterotypical yanks either, and that could be why we get on so well.

[Edited by Markus - 8/16/2003 4:58:39 PM]