Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2003, 04:01 PM
newbie_scoobie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Going to Hong Kong soon.
Anyone been recently?

Looking for things to see and do (and things not to do!).
Any advice appreciated.

Col
Old 12 August 2003, 05:11 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Take the train up to The Peak for some stunning views and great nosh.
Old 12 August 2003, 05:24 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I would recommend going up the Peak on the tram, just as dusk is falling.

When you get to the top, you should be able to see Hong Kong at night. It's an amazing site, if you like that sort of thing!

If you don't mind a little bit of travel outside of Hong Kong island and Kowloon, then trek over to Kam Tin, near Yeung Long. You can see Kat Hing Wai (Tang walled village) which has been standing there for over 900 years and it's my ancestral home (and my parents have a few houses there). I think you have to pay to get in, but it's not a lot! (£1 I think)

There is an island called Lantau, with the 'Big Bhudda' on it. Quite an incredible site, but be prepared for a lot of walking!

But don't bother with the Jumbo floating restaurant (or whatever it's called) the food in there is bad!

You obviously have to go haggling in Mong Kok. Don't be afraid to haggle, and if you can't get a sensible price move on. You should be able to get all sorts of consumer electronics, like MP3 players, MD players, cameras, PDA's, consoles, computer software, computer hardware, etc, etc. If you have a DVD player, you'll find loads of movies (not all of them pirate )
Old 12 August 2003, 05:27 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Might be worth looking here: Yahoo! travel guide to Hong Kong
Old 12 August 2003, 05:48 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

There are quite a few islands worth a trip. Cant remember all the names as lived there as a kid. Macau (portugese) aint to far away either.

The floating restaurants in Aberdeen harbour are probably worth a go.

Eat out in one of the top hotels. Not sure if the Furama Hotel is still going but the top rotates where the restaurant is.

If you like mcdonalds I think HK is still the cheapest place to get it. Used to about £1.50 for a meal Well funny watching the yank 7th fleet crews with trays of burgers and fries.

The HSBC building is worth a look. All feng shui'd up and massive.

Take a trip to Kowloon on the star ferry or the MTR (Mass Transit Railway). Some nice markets over their including a guy who bites snakes heads off.

Simon.
Old 14 August 2003, 02:09 PM
newbie_scoobie
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the help...anyone actually out in Honkers who fancies a beer at some point in the next few weeks?
I have sent 'slackersi' some mail to check his availability, if anyone else fancies coming along then they are more than welcome. Drop me a note or whatever and we can arrange something...I fancy a bit of Lan Kwai Fong then Wanchai after dark!! Anyone up for it?

Col
Old 14 August 2003, 04:34 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Won't be going for again for a while, done my stint.

Here's a pic from The Peak
Old 14 August 2003, 04:35 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

"Interesting" bars in causeway bay area - you could get in trouble in most of em
Old 14 August 2003, 05:03 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

FYI, Macau is no longer Portuguese, it reverted back to Chinese sovreignty in 1999. Still, the Portuguese influence is still there, & a u'll feel like u're in Europe in some parts of Macau.
It'll make a nice day trip if u're in HK.
As for HK, there are many things to do. What u must not do is spit or litter the street, as the fines have just been doubled (HK$1.5k, well over 100 quid).
There are many top restaurants here that charge quite reasonable prices (due to deflation). For example, the famous Yung Kee in Central (famed for their roast duck) will cost u abt 10-15 quid per head for a nice meal. If u want Italian, head over to Toscana (Ritz-Carlton), Nicollini (Conrad or Shangri-La, forgot which one), Grissini (Wanchai Hyatt), or Sabatini (Royal Garden Hotel). Set dinner (4-course & up) is typically 50 quid per head. That is the most expensive u can get.
For Japanese, try KiKu (basement of Landmark), they have promotion for set dinner for 4 at HK$800 (i.e. $200 pp). For sushi, u can try Genki Sushi (many branches thruout HK, & need to queue for seats). For teppanyaki, head over to Chitose in Lee Gardens. Be aware that Chitose is an expensive place, as it is reckoned as the top teppanyaki house in HK.
Now, if u want Chinese food, there are many many varieties. Canton, Shanghai, Peking, Sichuan, Chiuchow, Taiwanese, etc. Stuff like dim sum & char siu are Cantonese. Shanghaiese cuisine are typically wonton chicken, dumplings etc. Pekingese have the famous roast Peking duck (different from the Cantonese roast duck). Sichuan food is typically hot. Chiuchow cuisine have hot & sour fish, duck, & their special fishball ricenoodles. I cannot tell u what Taiwanese is yet, cos I haven't tried it myself.
Sometimes, if u want a quick bite, u can try wonton noodles in one of those 'tea restaurants'. Mcdonald's are very cheap, & u can have stuff such as sausage & egg muffins all day long. U can also try chain fast food restaurants such as Cafe de Coral or Maxims. They have very good value afternoon tea-sets. Pret a Manger is also available, as is Starbucks (& it's local rival Pacific Coffee).
For shopping, dvd players, digital cams, dv cams, md players, mp3 players etc are good value for money. Also, dvd players here are all-code by default. Computer components & notebook computers are also cheaper here than in UK. Original music cds & dvds are also very cheap, buy them in Mongkok's Sino Centre.
One overlooked bargain in HK are hobby goods. Model kits are more or less half price here (a Tamiya Ferrari Enzo kit costs 10 quid), a Tomy Bit-Charg costs less than 10 quid (original, not imitation), r/c cars & their related parts are at least 30% cheaper here.
Transportation here is cheap & frequent, any system breakdowns are headline news here (i.e. they are very rare). Get an Octopus card once u arrived. It's a contactless value-storing smartcard, which can be used in all buses, mtr, ferries, most mini-buses, 7-11 stores, Mcdonald's, Peak Tram, etc etc. Nearly everyone here have at least 1 card, & u just need to get the tourist Octopus card(there are additional perks for tourists).
Remember also to bring ur mobile fones with u, as there are not many fone boxes in HK nowadays. U can buy a stored value sim card for abt 10 quid.
To be continued if necessary.....
Old 14 August 2003, 05:27 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

While your in Mongkok check out a street called Hak Po Street. It's near the Mongkok KCR train station. This is where you want to be if you want cheap (but genuine) car parts. I recommend a store called Crazy Racing http://www.crazy-r.com.hk/index.html#english. It will save you a hell of a lot of money. So take a big suitcase and watch what you buy in HK as you'll want to use all of your luggage allowance.

Lang Kwai Fong is a very good touristy bar and nightclub spot. You can get there quite easily on the MTR (HK metro system). Just be careful about changing lines on the MTR. Can be confusing.

Tsim Tsa Tsui is a good place to go for clothes shopping. While your in the area you could check out the observatory/science museum (if your into that sort of thing). Kowloon Tong KCR/MTR station has a GIANT shopping centre, which is probably one of your best bets for legitimate shops.

[Edited by WRX_BLUES - 8/14/2003 5:30:58 PM]