Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed cameras in southern Ireland ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2003, 06:26 AM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shortly due to go on my hol's - touring southern Ireland - starting Rosslare and taking the car, tent and misses around the south/west and then Dublin.

Just wondered what the speed trap/camera situation is there ? - not that I'm intending to to - just want to know if I need eyes in the back of my head etc..

Many thanks,

Gastro
Old 12 August 2003, 08:13 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gastro

They're clamping down on speeding like crazy in the south.

Usually lots of mobile dectors about(I've seen plenty anyway), with a few fixed cameras aswell.

I wouldn't worry too much about the fixed cameras, as you've got an English reg, they won't bother about you unless you're doing stupid speeds. Sames goes for me with a Northern Ireland reg, they don't even bother, i've been flashed a few times and never heard a dicky bird.

Shaun
Old 12 August 2003, 08:16 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mainly hand operated radar guns by guards sitting in their cars ,or motorbike cops who like to hide in Petrol stations so you can't spot them , and are very popular these days. Don't see so many around Rosslare/ Waterford area but up around Dublin and on the Cork /Kerry borders I've seen a lot (3 tickets so far :rolleyes) even at 4am. Eur 50 fine IIRC for 20 mph over limit, but doesn't count over here.... yet.

Enjoy
Old 13 August 2003, 08:12 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

There are speed cameras around Dublin. I don't know about Cork. Your radar detector is illegal over there but they are not as strict about it as the French police. All the same, it will be confiscated if found.

There are plenty of speed traps in Ireland but a helpful website to assist with the planning of your journey is http://www.speedtraps.ie.nu/ - sorry can't make it clicky!

Adhere to the 50/40 and 30 mph limits as those are the most common areas for the speedtraps. The Irish Garda have clamped down big time on speeding as there have been so many deaths recently. This is because the roads are very poor compared to the UK and especially so at night where cats' eyes are a rarity.

Don't forget octane booster as super unleaded is very scarce over there. It's really only available in some of the major cities.

Aside from the above, try Murphys in Cork and Guinness in Dublin!

Cheers

Jerome
Old 13 August 2003, 09:06 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

On a faintly related note what is the situation with Northern Ireland drivers on mainland Blighty?

Mainly,what is an "accepted" speed on English motorways before a camera flashes?
Old 13 August 2003, 09:28 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

BEW - what are the excepted m/way speeds here in N.I.? i never do much driving outside bangor-belfast so i know where i can get away with my spirited driving. recently i've been driving down to Omagh etc, so when on the m/way i've been siting around 80 the whole way, even upto 90 though i feel i'm pushing it over 85.
Old 13 August 2003, 09:32 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Sod that,can't we get away with speeding due to "foreign" address for registered keeper?
Old 13 August 2003, 09:40 PM
Fionn Mac Cool
Scooby Regular

BEW
rarely any cameras on the motorway unless for roadworks, and they are set very close to the speed limit for that stretch.

where cameras/laser are used they are normally sitting on a bridge across the motorway. Northampton police are reknowned for sitting on the bridges between J16 and J15 of the M1. 80 is pretty acceptable unless they are trying to meet their targets. 90 sometimes so long as you are not pratting around, anything over this and you're inviting plod into your parlour.

also remember, unlike the south, any tickets/fines/points over here do count back home.

keep safe.

regards

Fionn.
Old 14 August 2003, 02:35 AM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Take the Nova boys tactic around Manchester - remove the object remove the problem, in other words slap a tyre round the speed camera add petrol and burn baby burn takes a fair while for the council to replace guess thats why they do it!
Old 14 August 2003, 08:51 AM
lady1
Scooby Newbie

I know that there are four operational speed cameras on the roads from the north side of Dublin to the entrance of the city. You'll need to be careful there. As for the rest if you are driving around the coasts or in teh country there are only the hand held ones that the guards will use. If you are using the M1 there is only one on that road about half way. Watch out though they are out every day. Once they see you in the scoob they will want to catch you. Check your insurance etc as if they pull you over they will check everything to try to catch you on something. I have first hand experience of this. Apart from co. Louth and Dublin you dont really have to worry about the cameras on the Roadside. If you are going through Co. Monaghan watch out in a town called Castleblayney, as they are there with the hand held one all the time. Keep to the 30 limit for a good bit. Its a long stretch and they will be at the end between two lorries there. Hope this helps you out on your hols and good luck. Enjoy your stay!!!!