Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Some Quick "Atkins" advice please..

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2003, 12:47 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have decided to lose some weight after trying on The "Trousers of Truth" last night I cannot beleive what a fat knacker I have become, although it has been gradual - These pants in question were alwas a little tight, but nothing too uncomfrtable.

I have gone from a 30" waist to 34" over about the last 3 years, what shocked me most was my fat back.......

Any way,

The diet at home is easy enough as my GF is doing a "semi Atkins " type diet - she has already lost some weight, so I will eat what she make me as usual -

The problem will be at work - there are very limited food outlets near work - what can I eat from these ?

Local newsagent - nuts etc ??

chip shop - today I am having fish,Sausage,peas & Gravy in a tray mmmmmmmmmm

2 bakerey / buttie shops

local spar - can I eat curry with no rice??

any other suggestions?

cheers,

mike.
Old 11 August 2003, 12:52 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

any other suggestions?
Cut down your overall consumption and do more exercise?
Old 11 August 2003, 12:58 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Excersise is mega boring - running/swimming/mincing round gyms is definateley not me -

I lead a pretty busy life generally busy - certainley not a couch potato.

What I have breifley seen about the diet mentions no caffeine....

somebody please tell me I won't have to give up my 10 cups of tea and 2 cans of solstice a day... not to mention 2 boxes of baby stellas a week
Old 11 August 2003, 12:58 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

fish minus the batter will be ok, peas out of the question, gravy out of the question.

anything from the bakers is also out and if you're on induction then you should also steer clear of the nuts

take food into work from home - problem solved!
Old 11 August 2003, 01:43 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

You wont be allowed tea with caffiene in it, or sugar or milk, and you definitely wont be allowed any Stella. Without being rude you seem to me to want to loose weight without giving up any types of food or doing any exercise. If it was that easy everyone would be thin. Most diets make you give up something and if you like eating a lot, and a lot of "crappy" food like steaks, bacon and eggs, meat, cheese etc then Atkins is a pretty good one.

Its working for me anyway, 11 pounds in exactly two weeks
Old 11 August 2003, 01:46 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Just don't think it is an excuse to eat more
Old 11 August 2003, 03:32 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

caffine is fine- the atkins people confused themselves as to its effect on their diet.....atkins + caffine is fine.

however, you sound lazy and things like "i lead a busy lifestyle....." is nonsense if you think it will make you loose weight.

jo brand is busy....she also has a fat back!

Tiggs
Old 11 August 2003, 04:04 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Tim, what, no bad breath, no increased risk of kidney stones, no increased risk of cancer of the bowel, no increased risk of heart disease, no increased cholesterol levels?

Well done that man!
Old 11 August 2003, 04:14 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

i dont see why people just dont cut down on the main carbs. it will have the same effect as the atkins in the long run, but you just dont have to keep checking what you can or cant eat.

just cut down/cut out bread, pasta, rice, bananas, and sugary and fatty foods, and your weight will go down anyway.

am i the only one who can see this?????
Old 11 August 2003, 04:22 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

No you're not Suze, it's just that the Atkins, by more or less eliminating carbs, gives a lot of results very quickly.

What isn't discussed are the potential long-term effects, and the longevity of the results. But most people want instant success, and you can't deny Atkins provides that, from the outside at least...
Old 11 August 2003, 04:25 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

i just think its stupid.

all people have to do is eat sensibly and do a bit of exercise.

people are so lazy...just wanting the quickest and easiest result that they dont see whats right in front of them.
eating that much fat MUST have a bad effect on your cholesterol and heart.

well at least they'll look nice and thin in their coffin.

Enjoy people...enjoy
Old 11 August 2003, 04:34 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"no bad breath, no increased risk of kidney stones, no increased risk of cancer of the bowel, no increased risk of heart disease, no increased cholesterol levels?"

oh dead oh dear, bad breath...buy a tooth brush as for the rest 4 weeks on atkins will not kill you early.

Old 11 August 2003, 04:38 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Why bother for just 4 weeks Tiggs?
Old 11 August 2003, 04:38 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

TelBoy - interesting that YOU know what the long term affects of Atkins are when there hasn't really been a long term study done!

You don't avoid carbs altogether, you limit to 20g in the first teo weeks then slowly re-introduce them until you feel your body is getting to many, ie find your individual level/need of carbs.

Some coronary physicians in the US actually recommend Atkins as a kick start for their obese patients, so are we saying they're wrong too? Sometimes its the kickstart some seriously fat people need. They got fat for a reason, generally lack of exercise. Once they've lost a substantial amount of weight reasonably quickly (the reason people tend to give up is lack of fast results) it actually allows them to start participating in exercise as they have the cv ability to cope with it after losing a good amount of weight.

I think to harp on about how bad it is when theres no proof either way is wrong. Personally I think it has pro's and cons like most things. FACT: It does allow for substantial weight loss quickly.
Old 11 August 2003, 04:42 PM
ChrisB

am i the only one who can see this?????
Nope. I'm just short of having lost four stone in weight thanks to exercise and a little trimming of the diet. No carbs though? Sod that - tonight I'm going to have a huge pile of spag bol for my tea and Friday night I had a big bowl of chicken fried rice.

You don't have to 'mince around' in the gym though. I went running one night last week - glorious evening, cool breeze and fab views over the National Trust I was in.
Old 11 August 2003, 04:47 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

because after 4 weeks you can eat a variety of healthy food, if anyone thinks that meat and salad is going to kill them then they need to read up a little more.
Old 11 August 2003, 04:48 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

True, but it's the meat and salad without much carbohydrate which i believe the concerns are centred around....
Old 11 August 2003, 04:51 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Angry

Tim, what, no bad breath, no increased risk of kidney stones, no increased risk of cancer of the bowel, no increased risk of heart disease, no increased cholesterol levels?

Well done that man!
**** you tw@t

I have been over weight all my life and it really depressed me do you know what its like to be called fat to your face and people take the **** out of you. Im just happy that im nearly down to a reasonable weight. I don’t plan on doing Atkins all my life. I want to drop another stone (which will take another month) then I will phase in a normal healthy diet, which now I know I have the will power to keep up. You keep saying join a gym go running ect, but this does not work for some people. I went to the gym (which was £52PM BTW) for 2 hours 3 times a week for a year and I lost a stone (which I put on when I stopped smoking) so that stone cost me £624. I use to go mountain biking with my mates 2-3 time a week for about 18 months a few years ago the bike cost me £650 and I lost no weight at all my legs just got bigger. This diet is the only thing that has ever worked for me. So just shut your face because you’re not me and ill do with my body what I like.

BTW no I don’t have bad breath.
Old 11 August 2003, 04:54 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I didn't say you did Tim, after all, *you* were the one who said you had no side effects. I didn't contradict you anywhere.

Sorry you felt the need for the personal abuse Tim. You obviously know better than all the experts, for which i salute you.
Old 11 August 2003, 04:57 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Angry

bollx im losing weight so im happy i dont care what anyone thinks
Old 11 August 2003, 04:58 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Exactly. All i'm doing is highlighting the percieved risks in the eyes of nutritional experts. Atkins isn't a "wonder" diet, no such thing exists. Unfortunately.
Old 11 August 2003, 05:10 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Atkins isn't a "wonder" diet, no such thing exists."

yes it is, thats exactly what it is.

massive weight loos, no hunger and no proven side effects (ohh, i forgot, breath smells)

what would a wonder diet be in your book then?
Old 11 August 2003, 05:12 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry I over reacted a bit, but you don’t know what it feels like to look in the mirror and see a person who is over weight. Now I look in the mirror an see a massive improvement, I can go out and buy stylish clothes which before never fitted me. And now I can go out clubbing and feel confident about my self and not be totally paranoid that people are looking at me. I was nearly 17 stone before I started Atkins now im 14 so I think ill go for another stone then ill start a normal healthy diet. I don’t think you realise how happy this has made me.
Old 11 August 2003, 05:13 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Question

Surely the weight just goes back on when you eat carbs again though?
Old 11 August 2003, 05:19 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Not if you’re sensible about it, you can’t just go back to burger and chips every night. You have to start eating healthy im just using Atkins as a jump start.
Old 11 August 2003, 05:30 PM
ChrisB

I don’t think you realise how happy this has made me.
Excellent stuff Tim

I was 18.5 stone when I joined the gym

I'm rather chuffed getting to down just about 14.5 stone myself.
Old 11 August 2003, 05:40 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

I've come down from 21st 8lbs to 14st 11lbs over the past 8 months (almost 7 stone). I'm 6'4".

Tired the atkins diet for a few weeks and it was working but I felt like sh*t on it (but you can take various vitamins to combat this). I went off it though as it wasn't a lifestyle change - I still ate tons and I do not believe it's good for you.

I lost my weight by cutting back on the booze, crips, chocolate, etc. Stopped snacking - had couple pieces of toast in the morning, fruit for lunch and a decent meal (just not the portions I was used to!). Also did a pile of exercise. I lost around 5-6 lbs a week to start with - which then settled to 2-3lbs a week loss and I'm now taking off around 1lb a week.

My whole approach to food has changed and I can't begin to comprehend the pure volume of food I used to eat.

Best but hardest thing I've done (though it did get pretty easy after month 2!).
Old 11 August 2003, 05:52 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Surely the weight just goes back on when you eat carbs again though
It can if you are not careful! When I was on Atkins I found that towards the end my appetite and metabolism dropped through the floor - I used to only be able to eat about one small meal a day and was never hungry As a result when I came off it in the first week I instantly put a little back on until my body switched over again. It wasn't too bad and now I'm just back from a 3 week holiday which consisted of drinking every night (average of about 5-10 drinks a night), eating fry-ups, chocolate, ice creams, burgers, etc, etc all day long and the damage hasn't been too bad - I've put a little weight on but not enough to worry me and it'll come of naturally by eating correctly again and getting back to the gym! If I continued to eat and drink like I did on holiday then I would continue to put weight on. You can't come of Atkins and go wild for months or you will get fat. Simple
Old 11 August 2003, 06:16 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

"Atkins isn't a "wonder" diet, no such thing exists."

yes it is, thats exactly what it is.
And while there are people who believe that, they'll keep selling the books! Everybody's happy!

Tiggs, i can't tell you what my version of a wonder diet is, because, as i mentioned, i don't believe it exists. All the symptoms you've listed for Atkins are true, but they're the external ones. Do you not care at all what the potential internal effects are? I know i would. I couldn't sweep them under the carpet so readily.

Tim - no prob. Though you could edit out the tw@t and shut your face references if you like - i wouldn't mind, honest!
Old 11 August 2003, 06:18 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Wink

Eat less, do more exercise! Copyright of me

Quick Reply: Some Quick "Atkins" advice please..