Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Morbid Subject That I wish to air !

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2003, 09:50 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone on here afraid to die !

Films like The matrix and T3 bring about "The inevetable" subject that one is mortal and one day "it'll all be over"

Personally I'm 30 and feel the same as I did when I was a teenager.
I don't want to die!
But what the **** can one do about it.
Perhaps being one that has a slant towards things that can be explained (maths, physics and science) it's hard to grasp on to a belief that there is "something beyond life as we know it"
(I'm not religious)
When you look back on your life, thinking of the saying "this is no rehersal" where has it actually got you?
Have you done all the things you wish to do in life?
Have you set yourself a path or list of things you "must" do before you die?
I know I have not!

DISCUSS

Andy
Old 26 July 2003, 10:00 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

kids solve lots of this.....if i went tommorow my kids live on and spread the Tiggsy genes. the nature of life is to recreate so its only natural to feel its a bit pointless if you dont.

Tiggs
Old 26 July 2003, 10:01 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

So it's a bachelor thing
Old 26 July 2003, 10:17 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I think that most people are afraid to die. Whether they admit it openly is another matter. It's "cool" to not care.

The exception to this is of course very religious people. My wife, Polish and a strong (in that way anyway!) Catholic, is not afraid to die. As I get older I envy her slightly as it must be great to have faith that there is something other than an eternity of nothingness.

It doesn't stop you living your life to the full, but gives you some inner peace,

As for me, I'm scared rigid. And get more worried as the years start to pass.

Steve.
Old 26 July 2003, 10:19 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Andy - nice one!

I don't think about this. I've done a bit in my life, not all the things I've wanted to, either because I can't or they are dreams, but I'm kinda happy.

Regrets? a few, but hey, who does not, and they don't stop me from doing things in the future.

Yeah, I wish I'd done some things eariler in my life, but then I'd not be the person I am today, or where I am today if I'd done them then and not now.

Life is for living. I have recently had time to sit back and take stock of things, realisie I am not young and need to shape up a bit for myself, plus I need to grow up a bit, but it's happening, slowly.

All in all, I've having it as large as I can, and enjoying every single moment and not letting anything, past, present or future, stopping me from doing what I want!
Old 26 July 2003, 11:00 PM
Madjay
Scooby Regular

dying doesnt bother me but some have mentioned mistakes, i have made many in my life as im a shy **** and am very reluctant to do things. one of the regrets that gets me is someone i see everyday with her boyfriend, as if i wasnt for taking chances i would've been able to make something of it as we were purfect together
Old 26 July 2003, 11:05 PM
Little Miss WRX

I'd want it to be quick and clean. That's about it really. Yes, I am afraid of dying, but more afraid of not making the most of what I have got before it inevitably happens.

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2003, 11:07 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Rather than counting down the years you have left look forward to things you are going to do or places you are going to go in the future. I know it sounds stupid but you have to set your self goals in your life, like I want to live in that house, I want to visit that country, I want that car or maybe even try going back to college to study something that interests you. I think basically trick is to fill your life up with so much crap that you just don’t have time to think about **** like that.
Old 27 July 2003, 12:50 AM
rogp
Scooby Regular

I'm not a religious person (far from it) but I've adopted this little extract from the bible as my maxim on this matter:

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Basically, live hard and fast, because when you're stinking and 6 feet under, **** happens!

Roger
Old 27 July 2003, 01:04 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Im not afraid of dying, having almost been there a number of times now

I would even go as as to say if I died tomorrow (lets face it anything could happen), I would be happy knowing that I have done most things I have wanted to do

I have no regrets about any of the things I have done or not done

Old 27 July 2003, 01:19 AM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Cool topic

They say that the only things that are certain in life are Birth, Death & Taxes

I honestly don't give a stuff about dying, why should I?

I mean, think about it. You could go downstairs for breakfast in the morning, get a massive shock from a plug & die. It's not like you would be standing there thinking, "Oh shít I'm dying, and there's going to be nothing after it". But I suppose if you have dependants, then it would be a different story. I could understand fearing death then. But I sure don't worry about things I can't change. There's many more things to worry about

Old 27 July 2003, 01:20 AM
A.N Other
Scooby Newbie

>> Anyone on here afraid to die !

Nope!!

I know that when I do die, I will have lived my life to the fullest that I possibly can!
Old 27 July 2003, 01:44 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

I dont care, were specks of dust in the scheme of things. Your kids might grow up to be muderers or hate you. I dont think procreation will make any diff in the big picture. Weve already destroyed the planet/ lets get it over with.

Now then, this song I wrote
I hope you learn it note for note
(Like good to children) don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say in your life inspect some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy…(7 times…till fade)

Remember the seven times til fade

Old 27 July 2003, 01:55 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
andy... yeah its a pisser.. you only live once.. make the most of it.. my grandma said before she died.. "ive got more money now than Ive ever had and cant get out of the house to spend it.." you cant take it with you...

we dont plan to die.. **** happens..

[Edited by David_Wallis - 7/27/2003 11:12:31 AM]
Old 27 July 2003, 03:36 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Meh. Death got to be easy cause life is hard. It'll leave you physically, emotionally and mentally scarred..
Old 27 July 2003, 10:28 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"I dont think procreation will make any diff in the big picture. "

lol- really?

the only point of life is to create life. everything about us is geared to it.

the urge to recreate is in everyone...even if its hidden...or manifests itself as a desire for success, good lucks, sex, etc (things that will help you recreate)

i cant belive that out of very animal on the earth we (one of the most succesful) can get towards the end of out life and not be botheed about whether we recreated or not.

(nice topical ecreation post for a sunday)
Old 27 July 2003, 01:29 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm not worried about my own mortality. I know I make the most of my days, and really that's all you can do. I'm not religious, so don't believe any of this cobblers about life after death - basically we're just a large blob of (mostly) carbon and water, undergoing a fairly long-winded (70-100 year) chemical reaction.

The only reason I'd be worried about dying is leaving my wife behind. Haven't had any children yet, but they'll probably turn up eventually to continue my genetic line.
Old 27 July 2003, 01:49 PM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

That doesn't bear thinking about Mark.
Old 27 July 2003, 01:50 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"but they'll probably turn up eventually to continue my genetic line. "

i take it all back.......creation is not always a good thing!!
Old 27 July 2003, 01:55 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Heh heh.

Don't worry, I'll make sure that when they all 'come of age', I'll ceremoniously pass onto them the Scoobynet URL, the MarkO password, and the set of flashing letter GIF files, so that they can continue my good work long after I'm gone.
Old 27 July 2003, 01:58 PM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

LOL@Tiggs.

Mark, I wouldn't expect anything less of you.
Old 27 July 2003, 02:55 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Anyone on here afraid to die !
Dying is as natural as being born
Why worry?

Old 27 July 2003, 03:14 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

because I don't want to !

Perhaps 80-90 years will make me weary enough to have "had enough" and the feeling will subside.
As I see it at the moment though, the older I get the more I fear it!
Don't know why!

Andy
Old 27 July 2003, 04:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Mark - good point there. It's about who you leave behind. Hell, I know I'm going to go someday, so sod it, live life to the full, have fun, be happy. Kids? hmm, you really want a bunch of mini me's running around? scary thought! lol As soon as they could reach a keyboard I'd get them on the net, and here, just to cause you lot hassle heheheheheh

Would they be a part of YKW though? Oi crush? is membership heriditary?
Old 27 July 2003, 10:32 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

I'm not afraid to die, more like absolutely feckin sh*tting it

I'm not really sure why, I know it's gonna happen and there's nothing I can do to avoid it but it's still the only thing to truely scare me.

Old 27 July 2003, 10:48 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A morbid subject about to be made even more.............

My dad was taken ill about 2 1/2 years ago, his illness was terminal, he had to visit the hospital every week for blood, and one week they decided to keep him in, after he had been in isolation for about 6 weeks, the doctor hinted that he though my dad would be better off at home, dad got really scared by this, saying that 'they send people home to die!!' he was quite clearly scared of dying, well he didn't come home at that point, but in the next few weeks, he said he had two near death experiences, he said he could see his mum and dad with theie arms open to welcome him, and that everything was 'nice', well, when he did finally come home, he was only home for three weeks, and then he passed away, although his illness was quite debilitating (sp) he never ever moaned about being ill, at one point, he had an entire mouthfull of horrible ulsers, not a word, he just got on with it.
He was quite a religious man, but not outwardly, we have since found several things that would indicate that he felt more about religion than he showed, I have now changed the way I live my life, I;'m not gonna spend my life working my **** off like he did, cos it don't get ya anywhere, so long as I can pay the bills, I'l be happy, I'm not scared about the actual act of dying, I was with my dad when he died, it was a very peaceful time, there was no fear, just calm. it's not the dying i'm scared of, it's the thought of be ill first, I could never deal with what my dad went through, I am scared of dying a single bloke, I guess I'll jusyt have to get off my **** to deal with that.

I hope that didn't make it too morbid, it actually helps to share these things.

Don't worry be happy!!

Ron.
Old 27 July 2003, 11:40 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Would they be a part of YKW though? Oi crush? is membership heriditary?
Yeah, sure!

But they have to work their way up through the ranks
Old 28 July 2003, 12:27 AM
Alpine99
Scooby Regular

I was never scared of death as such.. but I have a fear of being old and incapable of looking after myself... now I worry that if I die I'll miss my daughter growing up.. That scares me..
Old 28 July 2003, 12:32 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Interesting thread. For me, its not the actual dying that worries me, but the way it happens. I had appendicitus back in January 2000, when the operated, I was, appparently 48 hours from death. 50 years ago I would have been dead whatever happened, or so they told me. It was the closest to death (barring accidents) that I had even been. I had to say I was feeling pretty calm about it. Looking back, I knew I was on the way out cos I started not to care anymore. At one point, I just lay back on the bed and felt myself drifting away, then I snapped out of it and got back to being in pain. It was from this that I discovered what the will to live is all about and how it can influence your bodies ability to fight a life threatening problem. To this day, it colours my actions, particularly the more foolish ones. Most of the time its justified by the phrase "*** it, I could have been dead in 2001"
What do I make of all that? Not sure really, but I've made it my business to do things for myself and no-one else. I had a bloody narrow squeak in 2001 and I realised that I'd hardly begun to live at all. If I had a similar one thesedays then I would not be able to say that as easily.
astraboy.
Old 28 July 2003, 09:40 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you are afraid of dying, perhaps you should spend your weekends engaged in more productive/interesting experiences than sitting at home surfing the web

D

[Edited by Diablo - 7/28/2003 9:40:56 AM]

Quick Reply: Morbid Subject That I wish to air !