Anti Social Behaviour

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2003, 04:46 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

<rant mode on>

What is it with youngsters nowadays? Have they no respect for their neighbours?

Last night from 10pm onwards all I could hear were fireworks being let off one after another from the house opposite me. It went on for a good 3 hours or so. Also, during this time there were several little b******s revving their sh1te little novas right outside my 'kin window. I'm not bothered about it at weekends, I'm not usually in, but during the week there is no need. I was absolutely exhausted and was getting all worked up because I couldnt sleep in my own home. I almost opened my window and told em to f-off.

It really gets my goat. I was never like that at 16/17. I dont think these kids have been taught any morals. Out till all hours of the morning. I had to home for 10.30 at the age of 16, any later and I was grounded for a week (this was after I had left school and was working full time, I'm only 20 now)

Anyone else had problems with anti social kids? If so how did you sort the little tw@ts.

</rant mode although I'm still fizzing>
Old 24 July 2003, 04:49 PM
rogp
Scooby Regular

No respect for the law, their parent or their peers.

Things are so lax these days, I can remember being fearful of teachers in my younger days.

Discipline, discipline and discipline I say.
Old 24 July 2003, 05:07 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Put a firework in the fuel tank. They'll get the message
Old 24 July 2003, 05:19 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

its hapenning everywhere http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/di...tentPK=6470369.
they all know the fecking law protects them and will come down like a ton of bricks on anyone seeking summary justice
Old 24 July 2003, 05:25 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Thats absolutely rediculous.

This country is a shambles.
Old 24 July 2003, 05:27 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Angry

yes i know scoobyloo that 16 year old girl probably thinks she is invincible now
Old 24 July 2003, 05:35 PM
Project ST
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, what are a Citizen's rights to place someone under Citizen's arrest? Or is this no longer allowable now we're "European"? :-|
Old 24 July 2003, 05:43 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

What is it with youngsters nowadays

IIRC Scoobyloo...you're only about 22ish yourself aren't you?.....hardly ancient..

Old 24 July 2003, 05:44 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Cool

btw...how the issue you had with your brother going.......better i hope..
Old 24 July 2003, 06:00 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

Star, Im 20! should've said teenagers

He came to stay with me for a week, played the evil big sister. Went back home, never got into any trouble since, and is now staying on at school doing 3 highers!

Thanks for askin!
Old 24 July 2003, 06:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Project - AFAIR you can only place someone under citizen's arrest for a serious crime, which I think is something that carries more than a year or two's prison. Hardly useful for public nuisance. 5-0 will tell you if that still applies.
Old 24 July 2003, 06:13 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nice to hear it 'loo....

Old 24 July 2003, 07:00 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

im 17 and wouldnt dare do a thing like have an all night party in the week because of elderly neighbours. Theres a doctor roundmy end who reagularly has parties until 2 in the morning on weekdays (and then had the nerve to shout a me for tuning our Spitfire in the daytime) and its just stupid. All I could here last we was drunks trying to sing Queen and ***** revving their silly pugeots round our quiet street.

next time police are in! >
Old 27 July 2003, 05:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Maybe one day they will make parents legally liable for their chidrens behaviour. That would sort a few out!

Les
Old 27 July 2003, 06:29 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Angry

Last week I parked up to do some shopping and a couple of urchins clocked the car and came over. Probably 11-12yrs old, asking questions which I answered. I then left and said 'Take it easy, kids, have fun' to which they replied -

'We're not kids, we're teenagers and perhaps we'll set fire to your car while your away'!!

I wouldn't have dreamed of saying anything like that as I was brought up to respect other people/possesions. Todays kids sicken me, but thanks to the law and all these do-gooder rights groups decent ordinary people have no rights anymore.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by drumsterphil - 7/27/2003 6:30:30 PM]
Old 27 July 2003, 07:55 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

thanks to the law and all these do-gooder rights groups decent ordinary people have no rights anymore.
Yep, that's the way they want it. Political Correctness is the new fascism.

UB
Old 27 July 2003, 07:57 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Political Correctness is the new fascism
Just as well we've got you to redress the balance, UB

Old 27 July 2003, 08:42 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL - exactly

UB
Old 27 July 2003, 08:57 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Maybe one day they will make parents legally liable for their chidrens behaviour. That would sort a few out!

Would it really,..i doubt it.
Old 27 July 2003, 10:08 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

in northern ireland we have a slightly different way of dealing with anti-social behaviour
Old 28 July 2003, 05:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Paulr

Once the parents were forced to pay their children's victims compensation for the damage, and a few good fines, I think there would be a change of heart!

Les
Old 28 July 2003, 05:12 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Really!!!.

I know two sets of parents who are having/have had problems with teenage sons.In both cases they were at the end of their tether as to what to do.Crimes involved ant social behaviour/stealing etc.
One of the parents is on medication because of the problems his son is causing.
I cant see how fining already under stress parents is really going to help.

Punishing the parents of problem kids makes good headlines,but thats about all it does do.
Old 28 July 2003, 05:14 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I also remember a thread on here recently where someone was honest enough to admit having problems with a child and asking for advice.
I dont think a large fine was the sort of help he was looking for.
Old 28 July 2003, 05:36 PM
Little Miss WRX

Unhappy

Kids setting off fireworks is quite common around here aswell as muppets in all kinds of cars using the local roads as race tracks.

This is Australia too...........

Can't get away from it wherever you move to it seems. Makes a change from fecking peacocks though.
Old 28 July 2003, 11:34 PM
Luke
BANNED

kill the cats.
Old 28 July 2003, 11:37 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

boil the bunnies....

UB
Old 29 July 2003, 01:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Paulr

I wonder why we are seeing more and more thieving, vicious violence towards the elderly, and a total lack of respect for the law. Can you think why this is happening. Why are we all so worried about our cars these days when they are parked either away from the house or overnight. Or even of being attacked while driving and having the car stolen. And why so much vandalism and destruction of property just for the sake of it. Why is so much of this being perpetrated by young children and teenagers.

I have been around for a while which in your mind probably means that my opinions are not valid. We older chaps are so often regarded as being mentally unable to give worthwhile advice!

When I was a young person, parents used to take a strong interest in the way their children would develop into adulthood. The reasoning was that they should be led by good example and should be controlled so that they behaved themselves and that they should respect their own parents and their elders. They were taught discipline. That means respect for authority. Not necessarily by the use of force although if a child deliberately misbehaved itself it could expect some form of physical punishment. It did not have to be violent, the shame of being punished was usually enough as a corrective measure. Some may need that,others may not. Presents were limited to Christmas and birthdays and were always really valued rather than being pushed aside after a few minutes. Children's innocence was preserved, they were not expected to know the seamier side of life until later on in their childhood when they were ready to learn about it, not forced to know about it when they are too young to cope with it. They were still protected by their parents and school life from the nasty traps that awaited us all. They were however controlled by their parents who made sure they knew what their children were up to and could rely on being told the truth because they taught their chidren to be honest. Children were always in bed at a reasonable time of night and never on the streets after dark. They would not dream of being cheeky and answering back to an adult. When it came to finding something to do, they were resourceful enough to make their own entertainment without relying on others to organise it for them. This would stand them well in life later. A policemans authority was totally respected. The policemen used to earn respect anyway then. This early background gave a child a basic education on how to be a good citizen, think of other people and how to behave in life. Of course there were bad children about, but these were not able to produce the same sort of influence to make the others follow them. They had an attitude to life which made them more able to resist the temptation.

The parent's attitude to life was different too. They accepted responsibilty for their children and if the child did something wrong then they would make any damage good themselves without having to be ordered to do so. They would apologise and make the child do the same, and the child could expect to be punished for it. Once again,people thought about others and they had an honest sense of responsiblity towards them. This attitude was prevalent in all walks of life. Children were not spoiled with endless expensive presents nor did they have their every whim indulged. They learned that they had to make their own way in life eventually. If they wanted something they knew that they had to save for it with their pocket money or even earn it by doing some gardening for someone or something like that. All good training.

You may well feel the need to say that this is a Victorian attitude or at least is old fashioned. Yes it is just that. This was carried through from but not as strict as Victorian times. I don't apologise for it though. Parents now appear in so many cases to feel they either have to let their children have everything they want, not to expect any kind of punishment, let them do what they want, and try to persaude them to do something right with reasoned argument. If you have let them get away with all that then you are of course wasting your time. Far from respecting you, your children will laugh at you behind your back and do what they want. The other side of the coin is that parents just live their own lives and forget they even have children. Latch key kids of course. That is terrible and one cannot be surprised at the way those children will grow up. What chance have they got? This "modernisation" has got a lot to answer for!

You may think that I am talking about some kind of Utopia which never existed. Not so, that really is what things were like and how most children behaved in my youth. There will be others on this Net who can remember it I'm sure. That was when you could walk the streets late at night without being mugged and expect not not to get a stream of invective from a pre-teen because you accidentally walked in front of his bicycle or skateboard on the pavement.

I still believe that if parents were made legally responsible for their children's actions as I said, we may eventually get some kind of an improvement. If it carries on getting worse and worse, the country will go down the tubes even faster!

I cant be bothered with a flame suit!

Les

Old 29 July 2003, 01:33 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I have 6 kids ranging from 1 - 15 and they all know if they do anything they WILL be punnished they have respect for older people and property they are a little cheeky at times BUT they know where to draw the line.

other kids round here are out at all hours smoking drinking etc the parents are the problem.

The belt being banned at school is another problem even my kids say people deserve the belt at school sometimes.
Old 29 July 2003, 01:40 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Pugoetru - how do you explain to your kids your disrespect for laws such as seatbelt legislation? Is that a good example to set?

Quick Reply: Anti Social Behaviour