Unbiased opinion please - Radar/Lsaer or GPS/Laser detector

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2003, 07:36 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looking at the Road Angel with the Laser attachment

I am aware that it won't pick every signal but is this a good starting point. ?

Or would it be better to get a Bel Euro 550 ?

I'm thinking Road Angel as there seem to be more fixed sites than mobiles and most mobiles seem to be laser these days

Comments please

Steve
Old 23 July 2003, 08:02 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

No radar detectors currently on the market will detect the biggest and most commonly used threats : the VASCAR system (which times you over 2 set points) and the mobile speed camera.
I have a Snooper S6-R Neo which is radar/laser and GPS and the only thing its really good for is warning me of fixed camera sites when I'm in an unfamiliar town. Other than that the best advice is to stick to the limit ! (unless you can see nowt for miles of course )

Old 23 July 2003, 09:44 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Wink

Road Angel, does what it says on the box
Works for me!
Don’t rely on the laser attachment, it works if and when it detects the laser, but then again its to late you been caught.
GPS is your only way forward, laser/radar only is old hat.

Just look at it this way, it reduces your risk of contribution to the road safety police fund.
Old 23 July 2003, 10:42 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Bel 550 will pick up live Gatsos, mobile radar and laser but not Specs. However, with laser unless it picks up scatter from a car in front you will have been nicked by the time you get the warning. The way around this is to get a laser jammer as well, but these are of dubious legality. Bel 550 also gives lots of false alarms from automatic door systems on shops.

GPS based systems, e.g. Road Angel, warn you of all Gatso whether live or not, Specs and accident blackspots.

No system will protect you from unmarked police cars though.

For the best protection you need a radar/laser detector, laser jammer and a GPS based system, but all these would set you back nearly £1000. IMHO the most difficult speed trap systems to spot are the laser guns or radar guns (if still in use?)used from the back of unmarked vans. Specs are most often used on motorway/trunk road road works where you shouldn't be speeding anyway and are quite easy to spot. Most Gatsos (85%) are not live. Therefore if you want just one system I would suggest the laser jammer.

Alan

Old 24 July 2003, 03:03 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Doesn't one really need a GPS system with both fixed and mobile sites in it, and a laser jammer?

Why does one need a radar/laser detector if by the time you know about it its too late?
Old 24 July 2003, 04:07 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Smile

No GPS system will be able to provide the location of mobile camera sites. I don't think the information is made available to GPS providers, let alone the technical difficulty of keeping up with re-locating of the equipment.

A radar detector is usually *not* too late if you get a signal, as it takes a few seconds to get a fixing, but you don't have long. As such, they're only really useful to warn of approaching Gatsos, mobile cameras and so on. A forward facing Police device like a radar gun, you'd have to react quickly to get away with it.

I agree about the laser detector though. In my opinion that's just a gimmick, as a Police fixing only takes a second or so, way too short a time for you to do anything about it. The only real defence against laser is a jammer, but of course you'd need one front and back for total protection.
Old 24 July 2003, 04:29 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

I have a bel euro 550 and a road angel.

I bought the bel first, then the road angel a few months back. If I was doing it again I wouldnt buy the BEL, to many false alarms / no alarm.

the road angel is pretty good but they can be slow on the updates of new cameras.
Old 24 July 2003, 06:05 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Ditto pbee...

I've got a Bel 550 and a Road Angel.

Works well together. Both false - the Bel at roadside garages, supermarkets, etc. - but you learn to ignore them. The RA falses where the database hasn't been updated and cameras moved or removed.

Both together, you get warning of LIVE cameras (almost ignore cameras that the RA tells about, that the 550 doesn't) - and all the other stuff that the 550 wouldn't detect (SPECS, etc.)

Really, you need both - ideally plus a laser jammer (but they're illegal)

Shades