Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car Finance

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2003, 11:47 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I've been following threads on here for a while now in which Subaru drivers suffer fatalities in collisions with other vehicles. The other drivers walk away with minor injuries. That being the case I've decided to buy something a bit safer.
I've never bought a car on finance, I always pay cash but this time I'm thinking of spending 20-30K and don't have that much cash to spare at the moment.
So can anyone advise on my finance options? I'd like to own the car outright, not HP or PCP. Anyone know of any manufacturer/dealer schemes that take the form of a personal loan or similar? I would prefer a finance option that is not secured on the car if possible. Thanks.
Old 23 July 2003, 12:06 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure which threads you've been following, but I've only seen 2 recently, I bet you could find more than 2 in the same period for any make of car.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't think any dealers will offer a non-secured deal and if they do, the interest rate would be higher (representing the higher risk of losing all their money) but definately shop around the banks and loan companies to search out the best deal, most places can offer unsecured finance up to £25,000 or even £30,000 in some cases.
Old 23 July 2003, 12:40 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thanks Rev,

I'll probably try the unsecured loan route, my reasoning behind changing isn't the number of crashes, just the fact that they seem to be fatal for Impreza owners while the Passat/Merc people walk away with minor injuries. I've always thought more of "active safety" to quote Subaru, but that doesn't help when some fool smacks you head on while they are crossing the center divide.

Time for me to move on to a more modern car, maybe even a new shape Impreza.
Old 23 July 2003, 12:52 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Not many people drive like ******** in Passats.

If you could do an accident analysis, rate of survival at impact speed (plus a zillion other factors), you'd probably find the Impreza ain't so bad. It's just that people insist on trying to defy the laws of physics in them.

IIRC P20 SPD rolled his and was so impressed with the safety he bought another.

New shape has a built-in roll cage, hence the extra weight, so it is pretty good I believe. Search for various countries' versions of NCAP and I think it comes out quite well.

The most dangerous thing about the Impreza is the driver. If you've got that sorted, why change the car?
Old 23 July 2003, 12:56 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Unhappy

the crash I'm thinking of was head on Impreza into a Passat- the passat driver/passenger got out- the Impreza occupants were killed.

My car only has the driver airbag and I couldn't face it if any passenger was killed because my car was ill equipped. I'll be selling her soon and getting something more modern.