Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Team Building Day Out - Suggestions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2003, 03:43 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've been tasked with trying to organise a team building exercise for a group of 9 people. Looking for the exercise to take place during the day going into the evening.

Has anybody got any suggestions, possibly from previous experience that you might have done with companies that you work for?

Our group's interests are quite widespread so all types of activities considered (I'm thinking track days/quad bikes etc or something involving big guns but the girlies - both male & female - in the group might not necessarily go for that;

Even better, if you run these sort of activities then send me an email/let me know.

Cheers
Phil
Old 16 July 2003, 03:46 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

We went deep sea fishing - I don't know that many teams were built but a certain amount of competetiveness did break out between those fishing at the front of the boat and those at the back. The front won, as that's where I was. Later we discovered that the guy who had organised the accomodation for the night had f*cked up the booking. I think we need another team building day to repair the damage that was done...
Old 16 July 2003, 03:49 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Take them to a strip club. Nothing unites men together like watching a woman dance around a pole..
Old 16 July 2003, 03:54 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

paintballing. eliminate the weak
Old 16 July 2003, 03:55 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

There is only one answer..

Palmer Sport @ Bedford

Best Day out ever. I've been on many corporate days.... Clay Pigeon shooting, Golf, Adventure Days, Paint Ball, Laser Quest etc etc etc..

I am infact a corporate day guru, but it has to be said nothing compares to Palmer Sport...

Even people we took that swore they hated cars and driving loved every minute. The team who look after you are as good as it gets and the vehicles are out of this world

Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Mitsi Evo 6
Caterham Superlight
Lotus Exige
Jaguar Track day lightweight Mad thingy
Formula Audi Single Seater
Frontera Of road course
Karts

ALL IN ONE DAY ALL FLAT OUT NO HOLDS BARRED... Infact you only get Bollocking if you go too slow.... honest... Spins and Tank Slappers a plenty.

Infact i liked it so much I have now been 3 Times (Twice at my own cost i might add)

Top Day out.... as good as it gets... check it out

Best of luck

Listy - Terzo116
Old 16 July 2003, 04:16 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm actually a training manager and have spent years in training and I have to say the first place to start is an analysis of what you need. 'Team Building Days' have a shocking reputation because in a lot of companies the managers decide they need to 'build the team' but with no clear idea of why or what they want to achieve at the end of it.

Start with the basics:

What makes you think you need a teambuilding day? Low Morale? Complaints? Mistakes? Or is it more of a jolly as a reward for good performance?

What do you want to achieve at the end of the day? A bunch of tired but happy chappies? In which case shoot some clay pigeons and race some cars. If you're looking to develop more of an understanding about roles and responsibilities then you're going to need something more tailored that maybe includes Myers Briggs type assesments.

Also what sort of company is it? That could have a big impact on the type of activity you choose.

And lastly - have you asked the team what they'd like to do? Nothing like a bit of consultation to ensure more 'buy in'

Just some thoughts for starters - email me at my profile address if you want any other thoughts. Happy to help!
Old 16 July 2003, 04:58 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the suggestions - keep 'em coming.

Drunken Bungle ***** - this is most definitely a jolly with the emphasis on having fun. It's really an opportunity for everybody to put any strains at work behind them by enjoying themselves and trying to form bonds, so to speak. Various rifts have developed for numerous reasons and we are embarking on a program of trying to gain more team spirit, the day out being one of the activities planned along with more HR developed assessments.

Cheers
Phil
Old 16 July 2003, 05:25 PM
C
Scooby Regular

go karting - outdoor endurance type event

Did one on monday & it was great

bloody hard work in this heat tho
Old 16 July 2003, 05:29 PM
crowt123
Scooby Regular

minimoto / go-carting cheap and ace fun especially the mini-moto's...i had so much fun i bought one!!!
Old 16 July 2003, 05:43 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Could take them sailing, Sunsail do weekend regattas round the solent (skippered) which are very good aparently.

Andy
Old 16 July 2003, 06:04 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Best I ever did was RIB (rigid inflatable boat) racing. Six to a boat (plus a skipper who knows what he's doing, provided by the hire company) - it's a competition to see who can complete a quiz and score the most points in the day.

Answers to the quiz questions can be found by visiting a variety of coastal towns, so the event involves elements of problem solving, navigation and blatting through the waves at 60 knots. It was tremendous fun and not something most people ever get to do otherwise.

I forget the particular company that hosted our event, but there seem to be plenty - click
Old 16 July 2003, 06:15 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Mini Hovercraft - Magic - Easy to get going - tricky to corner - complete barsteward in a cross wind !!!!
Old 16 July 2003, 06:35 PM
the chosen one
Scooby Regular

try doing a course at a local outdoors activities centre?
Old 16 July 2003, 06:41 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

How about an Airsoft Skirmish day?
Old 16 July 2003, 07:42 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

how about going down the boozer, sitting in the beer garden, get bolloxed and then pay for their taxi home?

team building bollox, let em tell you what they really think of you after 8 pints of stella.

Old 16 July 2003, 07:45 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

p.s. farnhams a bit far, but if you pay for the train fair i will happily come along and organise the table, darts, pool etc etc fees would be covered with pints.

Old 16 July 2003, 07:51 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

seriously...go karting...EVERYONE, and i mean EVERYONE loves go karting - it's amazing to see how competitive some people can be!!!
Old 16 July 2003, 09:11 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

JJ - your offer is very generous! I will give it serious consideration and get back to you when I have a decision!)D

Just shown the boss the Palmer Sport website - she claims not to be interested in cars but her little eyes have lit up!

I think activities with guns are out as there's a real danger that the team will come back reduced in numbers....(besides I don't trust some of them with a PC let alone a 12bore!)
Old 17 July 2003, 12:59 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Heres your answer!

www.flyingfishhovercraft.co.uk
Old 17 July 2003, 11:05 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Sailing in the Portsmouth solent. Did it about 2 years ago with my ex company (15 people) and loved it.

2 days of mucking in, saling the boat. Pulling in sails, running up and down the boat like a fecking loonie. It was wicked

Darren