Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do they have training for this?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2003, 10:37 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

My mate was pulled by the police last night as they said they had reports of a stolen vehicle matching his vehicle's description. Now before anyone goes off on one I think this is a good thing and is a great example of the police doing their job properly.

However, what I do take issue with is the attitude of the officer on approaching the vehicle. Before we go any further let me just explain that my mate is just over 50 and owns his own garage business i.e. he is not a "cocky, answer the police back" type at all. His vehicle is a 1998 UK Impreza with a few under the bonnet mods so looks pretty much standard from the outside.

Obviously I haven't got the complete transcript of the conversation that took place, but the officer was belittling, patronising and sarcastic. Some of the choice quotes are:-

"Why do you think we've pulled you over - just as a hint you weren't speeding - well I'm sure you were, but we didn't see it"

"Borrowed this off your son then have you - you'll need to be careful as they're quite quick you know - these get involved in a lot of high speed accidents - most people don't realise how fast they are, they'd all be banned if it were up to me"

"So you fancy yourself as a bit of a Colin McRae then do you?"

"Pity you people don't get some proper training to learn how to drive these cars, with my driver training I could easily keep up with you in my patrol car"

"No doubt we'll meet again probably when you get caught for speeding"

Now leaving aside the fact that my mate also rallies a Scooby as a hobby and has completed the RAC rally twice as a private entrant (yes, he can drive a bit) where do they get off behaving like this.

Fortunately my mate is mature enough to rise above it and not rise to the bait, me on the other hand would have given them a good mouthful back - maybe that's what they want?

Anyway could anyone tell me if they are aware of a course on the police training program called "The art of belittlement, patronisation and sarcasm - how to deal with the public" because it seems from reading this board and others that more and more this is becoming their attitude.

OK, rant over - sorry,

Regards,

tiggers
Old 13 July 2003, 10:41 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Tiggers, unfortunately it only takes one bad apple, your mate should handed over his licence to allow the copper to check it. I mean his official motorsport licence offcourse
Old 13 July 2003, 11:29 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He was unfortunate to have to put up with all that. I have only had that kind of treatment twice,once with my bike and once in my Lotus Cortina and in both cases I had not done anything wrong. Otherwise I have always been treated with courtesy.

It takes all sorts as we know and this man was unfairly using his position of authority to take a rise out of your friend. I have found that people who behave like that are often under confident in their ability and are trying to hide it, often to themselves even. Probably a touch of "green eyes" too.

I have to say that I would have been sorely tempted to ask to see his warrant card and reported his behaviour to his Chief Constable. At least as you say, they were checking for a stolen vehicle.

Les

Old 13 July 2003, 11:37 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

No harm, but it doesnt sound like a check for a stolen vehicle. And if the car had been stolen, is it likely to stop in the first place???
Id report him for being abusive. They have no right to be such ignorant bastids. If it was a young person driving, he would have took the attidude of 'its daddies car', ive never heard of it this way round tho.
Old 13 July 2003, 11:48 AM
Tsunami
Scooby Regular

Shame that one ****ty policeman drags down the rep of the rest of the police force. If it had been me i would have noted the police number/reg of car/time and reported him for being a ****.
I have only respect for the police in cambridgeshire - got caught doing 110+ on the m11 when the blue lights flicked on at night...I was ****ting myself and thinking was i was gonna get banned.
Police just checked my car and told me ease up on the speed and let me go - no points or fines