Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2003, 02:17 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Introduce Yourself - 1987 I was just startin High School then
The Real Thing - 1989
Angel Dust - 1992

I never discovered them to the early 90's, so that's why I included them. They can't be put in the same bracket as Iron Maiden and Marillion - that's just plain fighting talk

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 7/4/2003 2:20:21 PM]
Old 07 June 2003, 05:00 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with many of the selections listed already but thought I'd throw a few more into the mix - Savatage, Dream Theater and Vanden Plas for classic rock, Anthrax or Murderdolls for something a little more frenetic and what about something home-grown - Killing Joke. If their new offering "Loose Cannon" is anything to go by (check it out on Kerrang!) the album is gonna be killer.

[Edited by STi-Frenchie - 7/6/2003 5:06:47 PM]
Old 04 July 2003, 01:37 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

As a 31 year, having grown up with Metallica, Maiden, Marillion which has its roots in the 80's, I've struggled to find anything in the last 10 years that I could "get into". With the exception of Live, the 90's and 00's have been devoid of any new bands that have blown me away....till now.

Just been out to buy the Evanescence album, and have been truly blown away. I know its not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but if rock music turns you on, its worth £9.99 or at least a listen.
Old 04 July 2003, 01:49 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

You should look out for Linkin Park, Puddle of Mudd, Saliva, Nickelback, POD and loads more. Evancescence have Linkin Park similarities - its better out there than you think.

32 yr old who listened to same stuff you did
Old 04 July 2003, 01:53 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Didnt think much of Nickelback's last album which I have. It was good\ok, but not fantastic.

I'll look up some of the other stuff you mentioned, weekend on Winmx I suspect

Also enjoyed The Offspring's "Why dont you get a job" (back in 1999) but much of their stuff is ordinary.

Mate of mine is into Ramstein, Queens of the Stone age and some other wierd stuff, but doesn't do it for me either.
Old 04 July 2003, 01:57 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

The last two you mention do nowt for me either. Nickelback had some great songs - but there are a few fillers on there.

i'd be surprised if you didnt like some of the others.
Old 04 July 2003, 01:58 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Iron Maiden I think I might had a dodgy photo of me as a 10-yr old in the mid-80's with an Iron Maiden t-shirt on

I assume you weren't/aren't a fan of RHCP, Faith No More, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stoneage, etc...

Audioslave and Zwan a pretty good IMHO, although probably for fans of Soundgarden and the Smashing Pumpkins.

Saw Queens of the Stoneage live a few weeks ago and they were fantastic

Stefan

Trending Topics

Old 04 July 2003, 02:00 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Rammstein seem to be on a wave of popularity nowadays - used to only hear in in Slimelight!
Old 04 July 2003, 02:00 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmm, Nickelback. You're on dodgy ground there
Old 04 July 2003, 02:05 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Creed
Old 04 July 2003, 02:06 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

System Of A Down
Old 04 July 2003, 02:08 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Had a beer with Motorhead in my younger days

I am god
Old 04 July 2003, 02:10 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fave 'new' skool rock/metal bands at the mo...
Evanescnece
Disturbed
Linkin Park
Saliva
Nickleback (I liked The State album)
Ragin Speedhorn
Puddle Of Mudd
P.O.D.
System Of A Down
Mudvayne
Coal Chamber
Korn
Old 04 July 2003, 02:10 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Faith No More big thumbs up, but they are from the 80's and therefore don't count.

Mike Patten's debut, From out of Nowhere was 89, Introduce Yourself was 88 if I remember correctly.
Old 04 July 2003, 02:32 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

87 was it - jesus! left school that year.

Thanks for correcting me "The real thing", "From out of nowhere" was the first track, one of my fave all time albums. Angel dust was ok, Best album was mediocre though.

Recent highlights, Maiden's "Brave New World" (dont care what anyone says, pure class), "Rock in Rio" of course, Live's "V" and "Distance to here", not so impressed with latest, but still listening.

Disappointments, Magnum's "Breath of life", still can't get anywhere near "On a Storytellers Night" from 85.

Bought St.Anger last week, and first listen was disappointing. Going to give it a few more tries yet.
Old 04 July 2003, 03:02 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

As an ex-long-haired rocker, I have to agree. Rock is something of a lost form of music these days. I very much doubt any of the albums coming out at the moment will have the staying power of the original bands.

Personally saw Maiden 3 times, and have seen Magnum, Marillion (ex-Fish, so technically not Marillion at all!!), and Black Sabbath countless times, Page & Plant etc etc, Ozzy, Whitesnake, and so on.

Faith No More were great for a couple of albums, then turned into some poncey soft sh!te band.

Maiden have been up and down, but never quite recaptured the form they had in the 80s and very early 90s. Guns n Roses sadly split, but left their mark with 3 storming albums.

And Metallica's Black album was a classic... As was Painkiller by Judas Priest.

The Chilli Peppers are still going though, and the last album was very good, but they're more of a funky rock sound, IMHO.

Still nice to see that Page has obviously been through his collection of Led Zep stuff.... not. "Oh, while looking for video clips for the new DVD I found these recordings..." Makes you wonder what other treasures he has stashed away...

Hopefully Jeff Wode will add to this thread later, as he's a long standing rocker (hasn't defected to Trance, Indie etc like me), and is properly involved with the rock scene... He's mentioned a decent new band.. but I can't remember what they're called.
Old 04 July 2003, 03:28 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Can't add much more to the above......over here in Australia Silverchair are very much the "In rock thang" mainly because they are Australian.

I remember my brother getting their album ages ago in the UK, they were never really a big hit, but having heard them sooooo many times over here you get used to them. Worth giving their best of album a twirl IMHO or Freak Show.
Old 04 July 2003, 07:07 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Placebo's latest LP is just fantastic imo (and i'm a life long Purple/Zep head)

or why bother with the new stuff,stick on some Rush,early Def Leppard,Magnum,Saxon,Samson,whatever,and listen to what you missed by being at least 7 years too young

even better,buy Made In Japan,on vinyl (still being printed) and listen to THE best live rock LP ever made

all imho
Old 04 July 2003, 09:51 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Smile

Bands like Saxon are still going and Dio went to the most recent Saxon concert and they were as good as ever.

As to new music i have listerned to bands like Puddle of Mud and Foo Fighters but none of them have the same long term quality of early Iron Maiden IMHO but that could be because i grew up with Maiden and ACDC and Def Lepard,Saxon Whitesnake Etc etc. Still listern to them but miss havingthe excitment of new albumns coming out!
Old 04 July 2003, 10:10 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

LMWRX I Came back from visiting the sister in law in Oz last May, the plugs for the new Silverchair album were all over the telly, declaring it to be 'a whole new era in music' I absolutely PMSL, it probably would be a whole new era if you'd never heard of Maiden or even Ozzy. The phrase derivative pap sprang to mind
Old 04 July 2003, 10:31 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Anyone bought St. Anger ?
Pretty disappointing overall - certainly they are back with a lot of energy but just about every track seems to become an angry heavy, heavy thrash. When you compare it to something like Master of Puppets I don't think it really holds a candle to that classic album that has serious thrash also, but then they combined it with light and shade - new album, to my ears, has very, very little light at all.
Old 05 July 2003, 05:27 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

LMWRX I Came back from visiting the sister in law in Oz last May, the plugs for the new Silverchair album were all over the telly, declaring it to be 'a whole new era in music' I absolutely PMSL, it probably would be a whole new era if you'd never heard of Maiden or even Ozzy. The phrase derivative pap sprang to mind
My thoughts exactly!!!! New era for Australia maybe - but then that really makes you think whether or not they are opening their eyes to international bands????? surely they cant be THAT blind to it!!!!

I have bought St Anger and if you do compare it to classics like Master Of Puppets, then no, it doesn't match up - however, on a new level, it's good to see the band storm back in with an album that is so bursting with energy it simply wants to rip your eardums out and use them on their drum kit - full volume stuff? Oh yes please. Sorry, what was that? Eh? I am deaf now.

I am sure my brother will have some good input on things, I will ask him tonight.
Old 05 July 2003, 09:32 AM
sqwint
Scooby Regular

Definately Disturbed, Audioslave, Korn. all Great bands still having it!
Old 05 July 2003, 11:40 AM
terzo42
Scooby Regular

system of a down,less than jake,h20 are my faves at the mo
Old 05 July 2003, 12:26 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Jesus lots of good bands out there.

Seriously get Nine Inch nails album the Downward Spiral or the Fragile one of those two. Probably change your view on music for life. If you want something different try and track down a copy of Cycles by a band called Lisp. its trylu excellent.

As to other good current rock bands there does seem to be a little less inovation as nu0metal has grown.

I still think if you want to listen to real rock then the Cult are very hard to beat.

Few other bands to check out, Bootsauce ( saw them backing Primus), Jane's Addiction, Queenscrych, Pearl Jam.

Newer stuff, Moonspell, Lacuna Coil, Muse, Placebo, Him , CKY.

If you like silly metal try Lawnmower Deth .. Spook Perv Happenings In The Snooker Hall is really funny.

AllanB
Old 05 July 2003, 12:49 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm now 31 and I've been into rock ever since I heard the Lucozade ad with Daley Thomson doing the hurdling to the sounds of Iron Maiden. Then somebody leant me Fair Warning by Van Halen and Powerslave by Iron Maiden and that was that - rock was where it was at for me. '86-91 were the classic years for me as that was when thrash was at it's height - many a night spent down the local metallers pub loosening the dandruff to the likes of Metallica, Testament, Slayer, Anthrax etc.

I'm also an ex-long haired person but I've decided I've been grown up for long enough so I'm growing it back again. I guess if Metallica are back to playing ***-kicking music again then I'm not too old to do the same! And, btw, I love St.Anger as an album.

There are still some great bands out there and I would advise anyone to check out bands like Flaw, Disturbed, Tool, pretty much anything that you guys & gals have listed already.
Old 05 July 2003, 01:24 PM
Flesh Fanatic Psycopath
Scooby Regular

Imho it's got to be those 'Rock Gods' Bucks Fizz....

Martin.
Old 06 July 2003, 05:57 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I'm also from the Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Anthrax, Dio era, and whilst I find some of the current crop OK (Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Alien Ant Farm) they seem to be some sort of rap/rock fusion (or maybe it's shouting/rock fusion).
Old 06 July 2003, 11:13 PM
O n i o n.
Scooby Regular

The Evanescence album, I would say is a must. Possibly the best album I have heard in ages. Also as far as the new age rocky/light metal bands go, there is an album called "Overgrown Eden" by a band called "InMe" and every track is top.

Saxon played at our small local leisure centre a few years back.
It was so weird. There couldn't have been more than 2-300 people.
They even played AC/DC cover songs. To think Metallica and OZZY used to open for them in the mid 80's. Very strange

Old 07 July 2003, 12:47 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Yes i saw Saxon at Brentwood leisure centre in the early 90's and it was the worst of their Gigs i have been to, their last tour i saw them in london and it was the best of the 7 gigs of theirs i have seen!

Quick Reply: Rock muisc