Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Check this idiot out...Ebay scammer

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2003, 08:21 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Having some fun with some guys who take over innocent peoples usernames and feedbacks on Ebay and put up adverts for bulk buys of mobile phones.

It happens once a week, these people take the user ID of a good ebayer(to get good feedback) and put up scams for bulk mobile phone deals. I nearly got caught out the first time through greed but kept asking them questions and they dissapear after 24 hours(when they clear their fraudulant bank acc out and run)

They put up auctions with 'buy it nows' on for 10xnokia 7250, V200 etc, for instance they offer 10x 7250's for £1500, I contacted them last week (when they were someone else) and they offered me a deal for 10x7250 and 10xP800 for £2800 delivered VAT paid etc. 10x P800's alone would sell for between £3500 - £4000 alone and the 10x7250 would sell for around £2500, thats a £3200 min profit which could be got in one night.

They even send an email from ebay as a secure email which says about ebay confirming the seller straight and that ebay send out the phones from their secure warehouse in Italy. This was there downfall as, being suspicous I right clicked and checked the message source details, they had the official ebay address in there but masked over a dodgy email address.

Obviously it's a scam.. I informed Ebay and they said that they had taken over someones name and it was fraud..

Now they are at it again, someone elses username.

Below are the emails where I've been having some fun today, it's happening as I type, they act fast, so anyone with some ideas where we could wind them up a bit????

The last one below is the first I sent and the last is right below.
>>

Hi Daniel

I have a villa in Tenerife and I'm going to mainland Spain tomorrow, small world eh?...

I could meet you for a deal?. I have to take care of some business and am flying out tonight. One of my clubs is a bit rough round the edges so some people are going to end up in the foundations for my latest club, if you catch my drift.

My people have allready confirmed the location of your account (ie where it was opened), hope you don't mind? (one of the perks of knowing 'big' people in spain).

I wont miss out on a good deal and have never dealt over the net before, my daughter got me to try and I think this is a good place to start.

Let me know mate, if I don't hear from you I'll try and track you down tommorrow.

Regards
J
----- Original Message -----
To: james.greenfield@ntlworld.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 7:24 PM
Subject: Phones on ebay

OK
I will let you know all the details regarding our phones.
First I want to tell you that my phones are brand new, unopened box all listed accessories included and also an international warranty. The invoice will come at the same time with the package.
My buy it now price is the best you could get, including the shipping and insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package will be delivered from Italy.

As delivery service we use UPS2days air service (with insurance and 15 days return policy), because it's the faster.
The phones work using any network, any mobile provider.
We are using usually escrow but at this amount we can´t have an escrow deal, as you suggested a bank transfer will be the best. The problem is that I can only give you my Spain partener bank details, as he is the ¨owner¨ of the deal, if we can say so.
Here you are:

Virgil Popescu
2077 0752 94 100408847
Clave Swift CVALESVV
Bank:BANCAJA,Country:Spain

Please note that one of our customers have bought all the items listed and now the only way you can buy is directly from our stock, as we have another 180 left, same type, same terms.

The phones available are the following: 80 Samsung V200 and 100 Nokias 7250. The samsung is 200 GBP and the nokias 150 GBP. So:
80*200= 16000 GBP
100*150=15000 GBP.

We have a 24 hours %10 discount, if you make the payment in less than 24 hours from now on and another %10 discount for the purchases over 10000 GBP. So the total amount will be 31000 -%20*31000=24900 GBP. The next week we will get another stock, meaning another 400 phones. If the first deal will be ok, we will make the second deal also.

Waiting your quick answer right now,
Daniel Netherwood

Hi

I would like to purchase bulk mobiles, I'm after P800's and 7250's, I
have £30,000 that I can wire instantly, do you have bank details for
this?.

How many phones can you do for this money?.
--------------------

Question from: jameswrxblue
Title of item: BRAND NEW SAMSUNGS V200 ONLY IN BULK
Seller: surferjoetoo
Starts: 01-Jul-03 17:15:19 BST
Ends: 04-Jul-03 17:15:19 BST
Price: Starts at £200.00
To view the item, go to:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3033417419

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month!
Old 02 July 2003, 09:02 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I had £30,000 to wire

Good thing you checked mate.

Darren
Old 02 July 2003, 09:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This simple line gives the whole scam away!!:-

10x7250 and 10xP800 for £2800 delivered VAT paid etc. 10x P800's alone would sell for between £3500 - £4000 alone and the 10x7250 would sell for around £2500, thats a £3200 min profit which could be got in one night!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

I always ask myself this simple question - why would they let ME make that money when they could??!! Maybe they like me!! Its bollocks and has kept me safe all my life - never missed a MUST DO deal in my life!!

Pete
Old 02 July 2003, 09:20 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Who the hell's Virgil Popescu? sounds like a romanian **** star to me
Old 02 July 2003, 09:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Didn't he drive Thunderbird 2 ??

Pete
Old 02 July 2003, 09:38 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Can't believe it, he replied to my last email about meeting him, saying that the first time he does business with new customers he can't meet them face to face. He said it is a 'house rule' that they don't meet customers on the first deal, he said wire the money for the deal

I would have pasted it up here put i'm on my laptop now and can't work out this LAN thing properly

Surely there is some way of tracing these muppets?, It's deffinately the same people as last week, they are using the same layout for the auction on ebay, surely if you wired money to their account, in conjunction with the police the bank would give up some details?

He didn't seem to bothered that I'm part of the spanish mafia from my last email, there must be some way I can let them know they are being tracked down?
Old 02 July 2003, 11:06 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

good work James, should have invited them to a meet down southend...
there will be another scam next week for sure......

BB