Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

If you turn subtitles on and record the programme...

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2003, 12:34 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

are the subtitles recorded?
Old 29 June 2003, 01:11 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Depends.

If you are recording from an aerial connection into the video recorder, and turn on the subtitles on the TV, then no.

If you have eg a sky box, the video will record whatever the sky box is putting out, which can include the TV guide, text, whatever.
Old 29 June 2003, 02:38 PM
PaulT00
Scooby Regular

Well strangely, you can sometimes get subtitles recorded from an ordinary aerial.

My VCR is a decent Panasonic SVHS machine with the thingy which allows you to record in SVHS quality on "ordinary" tapes.

The bizarre thing is that if you record, say, BBC1 on SVHS quality, quite often if the programme was subtitled, on playback switching the TV's teletext subtitles on results in the subtitles being displayed on screen.

It does sort of make sense because the subtitle information is encoded into the teletext portion of the TV signal, which is some screen lines at the very top which most TVs don't display as part of the "normal" picture. So it's there in the signal coming from the aerial. However, most ordinary VCRs haven't got high enough resolution to record it on an ordinary VHS tape. SVHS has about double the resolution of ordinary VHS, hence sometimes the teletext information will be recorded and intelligible to the teletext decoder on playback.

However, it doesn't always work and there's usually some "corruption" in the teletext. Perhaps if you tried it with a digital VHS machine or one of those disk recorders?
Old 29 June 2003, 04:58 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Pace Twin (hard disk digibox) does record the subtitles information, or so I'm told, never tried it on mine. Makes sense as the hard disk records the whole datasteam and decodes it on playback.

My VCR, bogo-standard JVC VHS does not record that portion of the signal.

Cheers

Ian