Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Women and Road Rage

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2003, 10:40 AM
blueE9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else notice how much more aggro their bird gets on the road than you ever do? My missus came back down the M1 yest eve about midnight and got tailgated, screamed at etc by a truck for a couple of miles until the traffic cleared and she f'd off with a cheery wave to the miserable git out of the window. This sort of sh*t happens to her a lot driving round London - last time she took a load of mouth after some bloke actually drove into the back of her! She genuinely is a perfectly good driver and takes the **** a lot less than i do on the road and doesn't deserve it at all. After the umpteenth time of me pointlessly saying "I wish I'd f'in been there" I have to conclude that most of these c*nts

a) resent seeing a bird in a decent car

b) only hassle a woman cos they can act the big man with no need to actually back it up.

All very obvious maybe but it seriously pisses me off! Anyone care to join me in pointless rage?
Old 27 June 2003, 12:25 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

BUT, she probably has more effect behaving the way she does. If she doesn't rise to the bait, its far more annoying to the rager than if he got the usual response. Some of these testosterone loaded fellas just go out looking for a "session" of road rage. Its how they get their kicks. For someone to rise above it and just give a cheery wave its tantamount to two sets of the V sign at once. Good on her. I use the same tactics its a good feeling.
Old 27 June 2003, 12:36 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm female and I very rarely get angry when driving. My worst habit is getting frustrated if held up and tailgating, although I'm significantly better now I am aware I do it. In my experience it's usually blokes who drive aggressively and behave like idiots on the road.
Old 27 June 2003, 12:42 PM
blueE9
Scooby Regular

thanks apparition - you're completely right, it's by far the best response. but where I'm not too fussed what people call me, she gets genuinely upset, and it does seem a bit pathetic to get your kicks like that.
Old 27 June 2003, 12:47 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

Consider yourself lucky, the women here are enjoying their big SUVs and cell phones.

Freud asked, what do women want? I thought his answer that they wanted penises of their own was completely stupid ... until the SUV craze hit. Now I begin to think he was on to something after all. I think you have a similar situation with some of your big Range Rovers, small driver relies on big truck to make poor driving a genuine menace. Two weeks ago I had to skid my Outback to a stop to avoid a tw*t in a Toyota 4Runner that ran a red light in front of me. That was good for a thrill. Another opportunity to lose my car, declined.

The larger your SUV, the less you have to care about anyone else around you. Chilling but true, these people will tell you that if you drive anywhing smaller, then they're not responsible for your safety. So they put their trophy wives in their trophy trucks and God help the little guy.

Old 27 June 2003, 12:59 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

agree.
i am woman...i get road rage...and have been the victim of road rage by some moron who thought it would be clever to ram me off the motorway at 70mph just because i over took him.

i was in a peugeot 306....he was in a huge transit van.

who says size doesnt matter????

Old 27 June 2003, 01:15 PM
rb5tfh
Scooby Regular

Angry

My bird gets this all the time. She drives a peugot 205 and is regularly tailgated, pulled out on etc. despite driving sensibly. She has recently developed the worrying habit of flipping the bird at offenders. Too dangerous with all those psychos out there.
Old 27 June 2003, 02:18 PM
Squeak
Scooby Regular

I totally agree with the sentiment that doesn't matter how good a driver you are if you are a woman, other drivers seem to completely ignore you.

I drive a Clio, always with side lights on to try and make the other drivers on the road aware that I am not invisible and I still get pulled out on or have my bonet cut off on a regular basis by some tw*t in a nova/bmw/white van/suv or such going round roundabouts etc.

One night while being pushed in to a barrier in Guildford because the guy in front wasn't paying attention, I flashed my lights to get his attention "look you are not the only thing on the road!!" kind of thing, the next thing I know is he is trying to ram me off the road!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that aggrevating the situation by swearing etc doesn't help and could end up in something more serious but what can you do??
Old 27 June 2003, 02:39 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

I once had a bloke tailgate me for a couple of miles because it was a single lane road, he couldn't get past and I was only doing 5mph over the speed limit. I got annoyed and slowed down to 5mph, but he didn't get the message. When the road widened out he roared past me, pulled his car across the road in front of me and slammed on the brakes. He got out of the car and was jumping up and down in the road with fury. I decided I'd had enough and got out of the car to ask him (quite calmly) what his problem was. He came striding across to me and started physically shoving me around.

His illusion that as a lone woman I was an easy target was slightly shattered when I broke his nose and told him to **** off before I hit him again. Fortunately he fecked off.

Not the smartest thing I have ever done, admittedly, but I'd probably do the same again. Blokes willing to shove women about deserve everything they get.
Old 27 June 2003, 02:43 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Its jealousy. I got a tw@ pulling over right in front of me on purpose and slammed on his brakes - I went into the back of him.
He did this deliberately because I saw him check around for other cars first, pulled in at an angle, slammed on his brakes. I then saw him look at me in his rear view, flick up his finger and drove off with wheels squealing.
According to the police, I was lucky he didn't drag me out the car and beat me up too - he's known to them as a nasty bit of work.
Still no court case (from 2 years ago) and no follow up.
Old 27 June 2003, 02:45 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Smile

Agree 100% with TK- glad you had the ***** (LOL) to make the bully **** off- good on ya!

Old 27 June 2003, 03:07 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Turbo kitty
Are you a bodyguard by day
Old 27 June 2003, 03:18 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Nah, just a stroppy cow.

To be honest, getting out of the car was stupid, but I could not believe what the bloke had just done, and I wasn't prepared to accept it. I acted without thinking. And when he started pushing me, I told him twice to stop and got a barrage of swearing, so I smacked him. I'm lucky he was shocked enough to go when I told him to because if he'd been together enough to do anything else, I'd almost certainly have lost.
Old 27 June 2003, 03:26 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

A while back I declined an opportunity to fight in the middle of the road with some guy who stopped his truck after I flashed lights at him for cutting in front of me. Just didn't seem like the best way to meet strangers. Makes me wonder what his typical driving day is like.

Oh wonders, and soon here in Ohio it will be possible to get a permit to carry a firearm, this ought to make driving far more adventurous.

Old 27 June 2003, 03:28 PM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

it would be better for everyone if women were not allowed to drive. they can't park and get in the way
Old 27 June 2003, 03:47 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Wink

As ever Carpet Cleaner is the voice of sanity and reason.
Old 27 June 2003, 03:56 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Talking

LMAO, yeah, I often get in the way. That would be me, slow, hesitant...
Old 27 June 2003, 04:35 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Turbokitty,

Respect!!! What wouldn't I give to have been there when you broke his nose - I bet he never ever does it to anyone again - nice one!!

I know it probably wasn't funny at the time or even looking back on it, but I have got to say that it sounded like he reaped what he sowed big time.

Take it easy in future though - you really don't know what psychos are out there these days.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 27 June 2003, 04:48 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

My mother went spare when she found out. Complete hysterics. "He could have had a knife! You could be laying by the side of the road, cut to ribbons!".

I told my dad what had happened and instructed him not to tell my mum. Apparently he walked through to the kitchen after the 'phone call, grinning. Mum asked what he was grinning at. He replies, "I can't tell you". It took her about 30 seconds to get the story out of him and then she rang me and went mental.

Old 27 June 2003, 04:53 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

His illusion that as a lone woman I was an easy target was slightly shattered when I broke his nose and told him to **** off before I hit him again. Fortunately he fecked off.
Stupid...probably...would i have liked to have been there?

You-betcha....
Old 27 June 2003, 04:55 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
Talking

you were flipping lucky!!!
Wish I'd seen that, must have been a cracker of a punch!
Old 27 June 2003, 04:56 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Nice to see you eventually understood the thread TurboKitty.

My better half always gets blokes either chasing her, cutting her up etc when she drives her Scoob.

She also gets waved in a lot more than I do, so it's swings and roundabouts.

It was quite ironic reading this thread as she returned home this morning to tell me that she'd had a guy cut her up after he blasted past her then decided to cross lanes in a hurry.

All this after following her calmly for a mile or so.
Old 27 June 2003, 05:23 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Eh? Understood it? Er, yes. What did I say that would make you think I hadn't?

If it was the I am female and don't get angry, it was in response to the reply that it's not worth rising to it. If it was something else, please explain because I don't follow.
Old 27 June 2003, 08:38 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

TurboKitty say's: I'm female and I very rarely get angry when driving. My worst habit is getting frustrated if held up and tailgating, although I'm significantly better now I am aware I do it. In my experience it's usually blokes who drive aggressively and behave like idiots on the road.

The question was relating to how men react to women on the road, but you got there in the end.

Old 28 June 2003, 01:02 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

TurboKitty,

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I think you were extremely stupid. No offence, it isn't personal.

Yes, you were annoyed at his behaviour, but it takes two to tango.

If he was tailgating you, and if you are driving as fast as you felt comfortable, then you should always allow the idiot behind every opportunity to get his *** to ****. I know it is hard to bite the bullet and we ARE a stubbon breed, but if it avoids confrontation then do it.

Slowing down to 5mph was ridiculous, basically asking for a confrontation, saying, "I am going to wind you up cos I know I am making you raging!"
It goes without saying that he was out of order for stopping you, but in those circumstances you should do everything in your power NOT to confront him.

Remember Kenneth Noye??? We don't know who we are dealing with until its too late.

If anyone close to me did what you did, I would go stark raving mental. It just wouldn't happen.

Like I said, don't take it personally.

Old 28 June 2003, 04:35 AM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

IMO, he couldn't maintain a safe stopping distance so I matched my speed to his stopping distance.

I'd only just got my car back from the bodyshop after a lorry ran into the back of it whilst I was stationary in traffic, so I didn't really want an idiot driving in my boot.

I'd have pulled over and let him past if there had been room to do so, but there wasn't, and he could see that as well as I could. And regardless of whether you think slowing down to indicate I wanted him to back off was 'stupid', he asked for everything he got when he started shoving me around. Mind you, if you can't tell what sort of a hero the guy was from that sort of behaviour, there's not much point in us discussing it further.

Oh and Spoon, the second post on the thread, as you'll note if you look, is about how women react to being hassled. I said I don't get angry, which is true. As an aside I pointed out that I do have bad habits - I tailgate. You'll see I then went on to agree that in my experience, the majority of people acting like idiots on the roads are blokes. I would say I'm sorry if that seems irrelevant to you, but as I've yet to see you post anything that seems relevant to me, I won't bother.

[Edited by TurboKitty - 6/28/2003 4:36:11 AM]
Old 28 June 2003, 09:30 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

TurboKitty

You are right, we should not discuss this further.

Besides, the type of person you should really be discussing your problem with, has qualifications that I don't......

Your attitude and stubborness, not to mention your apparent feeling of invincibility, makes you a danger to not only yourself but everyone else too.

There is always someone bigger and bader than ourselves out there, how long before you meet yours?

I sincerely hope you don't behave like this regularily, as it will only be a matter of time before you come a cropper.

Talizman
Old 28 June 2003, 11:27 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

It doesn't all boil down to jealousy - it's the age old adage that men just cant comprehend that most females in performance cars are capable of driving them. I have never been subjected to road-rage in mine as yet - regularly get tailgated tho by the 'boys' in their Max Powered' cars and Reps in company cars - but I never take them on [what would that prove - because I would leave them for dead with 380bhp of cossie power]

I always let them get past at first opportunity and as Apparition says, cheery wave and cheesey grin, while muttering under your breath to$$er, w@nker etc etc
Old 28 June 2003, 11:42 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

talizman,

With all due respect I think you're going a little bit overboard with Turbokitty.

I'm sure that she knows it wasn't the cleverest thing to do and that she's lucky she got away with it, but you have got to admit from the sounds of it he got what he deserved hence it all wortked out well in the end - no harm done (other than to the guy's nose - hahaha).

Yes the sensible thing would have been to ignore it, but the problem with this attitude is that these people will continue to behave like this until someone stops them.

On the subject of slowing down to 5mph I agree that it could be seen as antagonistic, but better to have someone a foot from the rear of your car at 5mph rather than 40mph - get my drift. This was particularly prevalent in this case as TK had already had a similar accident in the past.

Things like that tend to stick with you - I am very wary to this day of people stepping off kerbs to cross the road as some ten years ago a temperal lobe epileptic walked in front of my car in a trance and despite doing everything I could to avoid him I ran over his foot breaking his ankle in the process.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth,

tiggers.
Old 28 June 2003, 01:08 PM
northen
Scooby Regular

Smile

my wife drives my scoob on occasion normally she uses her tigra.
shes says when shes in the scoob the abuse is far worse, generally
its the nova boys etc shes 28 but looks younger and they just dont like to see a women in a scoob.
her answer has been to learn to drive the scoob fast,iv gotta say im impressed she can floor it and handle it too.
she recons this pisses em off even more,she still cant resist giving em the finger though.
turbo kitty.. nice one id like to have seen that!!!
regards
northen

Quick Reply: Women and Road Rage