Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

speed humps/traffic calming??

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2003, 09:37 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Question

there planning of putting the above on our road!!!

and they are having a residents meeting next tuesday... what 'amo' can i go with for a case... of NOT having them on our road!

apart from my suppention will get sh@ged up again cus of them.
don't think thats would stand up to a major disscusion with the councilors!

The road is not a 'black spot' and in the 30 old years my parents have been here you could count on your hands the 'accidents' that have been!

who else has fought this and won.. with a good case to stand by!?

help please.

Phil
Old 17 June 2003, 09:42 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell them that humping is now illegal outside.
Old 17 June 2003, 09:48 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Afraid I don't have any concrete suggestions for opposition to the speed bumps, but the thing that always worried me about those things is what it does for access for emergency vehicles, especially ambulances. Maybe you could ask your neighbours how they would feel if they or one of their loved ones fell off a ladder or had some other accident and the ambulance took longer to get to them because of the speed bumps (every second counts!) or - worse - "rushing" them to hospital with their broken back or other delicate injury, the ambulance had to go over these bumps! However slow you go, there's always a jolt.

Also, how would they feel, hearing the noise of cars, vans and trucks changing gear to slow down for the speed bumps, then speeding up afterwards ... all day, all night ... it would soon get to be a real burden.
Old 17 June 2003, 09:54 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Noise is the biggest argument against it, especially in a residential area..

Check out the accident records (council or police) - what are they trying to solve? Is it speed? Rat-running? etc. then plan your arguements around coming up with another solution...

i.e. if it's speed when will visually narrowing the carriageway work (i.e. lines), chicanes etc? Mini-roundabouts?

if it's rat-running how about a one-way system? i.e. entry from only one end of the road. Will stopping it down your road have a bad effect on another road - transfering the problem?

Is your road used for residents parking? Speed humps will cut down the availability and have a knock-on effect for other roads.

Find out how many they'll be and work out the estimated costs (I can help with this ) - compare this to your alternative solutions...

..finally, find out how long you'll have to speak, or you'll do all this work for nothing

Seriously Phil, this is my job, so if I can help let me know
Old 17 June 2003, 09:54 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Your only argument against is noise. Cars braking harshly, hitting the humps and then accelerating up to the next one often causes major irritation in areas where they're used. So much so most residents would rather have them removed. All they usually do is divert a lot of traffic onto the next available street, and those who continue to use your road become a noise nuisance. Enough local resistance and the poor accident statistics might sway them, but councils are usually pretty determined to get these things done, they're often funded by the EU and there's a lot of back-handing opportunities for councillors and contractors.
Old 17 June 2003, 09:55 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Speed cushions will get around the emergency vehicle arguement...
Old 17 June 2003, 09:56 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

they're often funded by the EU and there's a lot of back-handing opportunities for councillors and contractors
eh?! Money comes from central govt. contractors have to be gained through a quality assurance system...but I admit Counillors are dodgy
Old 17 June 2003, 09:59 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately I have first hand experience of these damn things, those that decide such things put humps in the road outside where me and my dad had a small shop,
They:

Cause excess braking and acceleration, hence un-wanted trafffic noise,

Due to the above, they cause higher levels of pollution in the areas, therefore higher incidents of asthma (sp?)

And in my opinion, some of them can be downright dangerous, I have actually seen a lorry with it's rear axle off the deck completely!!!!!

I also used to be a retained firfighter in said village, si I travelled over these humps a few times on calls, no matter what 'those that decide' may say, they doo slow the emergency vehicles, I actually live in a thatched cottage which is the wrong side of the humps to the fire station, so even one minute lost could potentailly mean a 'total loss'.
Not only property is at risk, obviously lives are too, and that is far more important!!!

I detest road humps, if they want to introduse traffic calming, try to persuade them to put chicanes in the road, that way they cause cars to slow less, but cars do keep moving, another problem we used to have was that pedestrians used to think that seeing as the humps were the same height as the pavement, that they wer crossings, even worse, was the number of cars that I used to see stop to let people cross, back when I learnt to drive, the cars had the right of way on the roads!!!

Give me a few minutes, i'm sure I can think of more........
Old 17 June 2003, 10:07 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Phil, the only real defence here is what you or other people do while going between speed bumps.

Rapid breaking, swerving to get around them if they are the half way ones, then rapid acceleration away.

All these tend to divert the drivers attention from the road and the surroundings. You are spending more time thinking about, and looking at the bumps than the football that’s just rolled across the road, and as you've just got away from the last bumps, your foot is firmly planted on the accelerator and it will take you longer to stop than it might have done...

Just a thought.

~Jules
Old 17 June 2003, 10:19 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Angry

Phil,

They will not listen. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

We have them all around us. They don't stop the boy racers in the old bangers anyway.

At our meeting the majority were against them, I put forward my concern about Lorraine and her bad back, other people put noise, pollution, emergency services and other arguments forward but they still approved them.

I crawl over them in the Alfa, any faster than a few mph and the sump gaurd catches, they don't like lowered suspension.

Over that last 3 years that we have had them I have had to have suspension components eplaced on both cars at least once a year.

I am currently waiting for an anti-roll bar link to be fitted to the 156 as thats gone.

They are currently pushing through to traffic calm where my mother lives.

Lee
Old 17 June 2003, 10:32 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Jen.

A village near me (Tong) had traffic calming installed at EU's expense as it was successfully propsitioned by councilors as a deprived area. House prices between £250k and £2.5m, doesn't sound very deprived to me. Just happens that there is a council estate (Holme Wood-remember "Rita,Sue&BobToo"?) that is geographically in the same ward. No traffic calming there though. Go figure !
Old 17 June 2003, 11:05 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

thanks ppl

Lee
they are planning Foxhill Rd and Cavendish Road in Carlton..all at the same time.
Residants on Oak dale Rd in Sneinton fought it and Won!!!!

I'll find out whats being planned... think its cushions and raised junctions etc... some speed humps too.

Jen
all the help you can give please.

Phil
Old 17 June 2003, 11:21 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Phil, have a look at the ABD website, there's a whole section about the downside to humps

www.abd.org.uk it's only 20quid to join for a year too

Old 18 June 2003, 12:06 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Arrow

The ABD stuff is at Speed Humps.

Some other useful stuff, albeit American, is at AATC.

mb
Old 18 June 2003, 07:26 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

corradoboy - ahh, that explains it...lots of grants etc. available for "deprived" areas...not entirly sure they're always spent on those sort of places though

Phil - If you think of anything you need to know my e-mail for work hours is jenny.mawer@eastleigh.gov.uk. I'll try and dig out a few useful links (studies etc.) for you when I get to work and post them here
Old 18 June 2003, 12:29 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadnetw...0-10/index.htm - alot of boring stuff on ground vibrations/discomfort and noise

http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadnetw...1_98/index.htm - Study looking at speed cushions, there's a bit at the bottom about passenger discomfort/emergency services.

http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadnetw...2_97/index.htm - article about chincanes, if you'd rather argue for them instead of humps.

http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadnetw...6_96/index.htm - about noise, especially large vehicles

http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadnetw...4_96/index.htm Traffic management and emmissions.

...and this: http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadnetw...ffic/index.htm is the index incase there's anything I've missed

It's alot of reading, but skimming it and reading the headings should be pretty simple. Gives a good background anyway, and they're all independant studies, so not biased
Old 18 June 2003, 12:42 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Speed humps ripped off my splitter and exhaust so many times it was beyond a joke.
Countless friends with the same problem.

Id like to just dump a big load of gravel in the road of a counciller in the shape of a hump or make a speed hump out of manure- see what happens then.

Obstructions in the road- shouldnt be there IMHO
Old 18 June 2003, 03:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Councillors love speed humps because they are a highly visible proof that they have done something. Like the rest of government these days, what the electorate wants counts for nothing.

Les
Old 18 June 2003, 03:36 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get a sounds recording of a car going over the speed hump.

insist said recording is played at a representative volume throughout the meeting

Paul
Old 19 June 2003, 07:14 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

good idea