Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is Sutton really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2003, 04:58 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Been watching the news today and they keep going on about the latest crack down on 'boy racers' etc and they keep featuring Sutton High St. I used to live there a couple of years ago and there were always one or two of the max power crew around and I'm familiar with the 'mad mile' and all that, but has it really got as bad as they were making out?

Chris
Old 13 June 2003, 05:00 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hope not!

I live there as of 6pm tonight!!

Damian
Old 13 June 2003, 05:14 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thursday nites have been getting a little silly recently.there has been racing down the mile for years but now theres a fecking meet in the middle of a dual carriageway(between lanes)with idiots with cam corders filming their mates.maybe this will teach the boys there is a time and a place for everything
Old 13 June 2003, 05:16 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Boy Racers
Old 13 June 2003, 05:58 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

..it definately wasnt one of my mates outrunning plod on his Gixer 1000 who was on the news today
Old 13 June 2003, 06:00 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Confiscating their cars - funny
Old 13 June 2003, 09:04 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

LOL Rich

Hmmm holding meets in the middle of a dual carrigeway.. Exactly who had the family brain cell the night that was suggested...

Chris
Old 13 June 2003, 09:21 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I never thought it was that bad. Usual maxxxxxxxxed nova's & saxo's round the one way system ( doing circuits of the police station - how clever are these tw*ts ??), and I never came across the mad mile evenings - even though I was *always* in the area as I lived on belmont heights ...

Steve
Old 13 June 2003, 09:54 PM
stuckhere
Scooby Regular

Sutton or Slutton? Never liked it much bloody long high street though!
Old 13 June 2003, 10:31 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

It is getting worse on a weekly basis.

I now avoid going home from the office down the A217 beause of it, last night I popped into Sutton to pick up a take away at about 20:30 and even then there were several cars racing around the one way system

It was only going to be a matter of time before there was a serious clamp down!
Old 14 June 2003, 10:15 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

hi Chris hows it going? Long time no see.

it does make me laugh a little when scoobynetters attempt to distance themselves from the 'max power' brigade.
What are there crimes to receive such treatment -
they put big wheels on there cars.
they make there cars faster, putting on big exhausts etc
they put bodykits on.
they have big ice setups.

well thats well and good chaps, but that also applies to a VERY large portion of scoobynetters as well!

Obviously there are some idiots who race up and down, causing potential accidents etc but then again i can remember many occassions over the last 4 years or so at many scoob meets where there would be some far to over zealous driving and at one stage 2 years ago every meet i attended had at least 1 rta and in some cases 2 or 3!
This was one of the reasons i stopped attending meets, im as red blooded as the next bloke and when a group raced off i would be right up there after them, but would always stay within my own limits, but others felt under great peer pressure (or simply had to try and keep up as they didnt know where there were going) to keep up and often exceeded there abilities with disasterous consequences, after you've helped people who've rolled there car, or helped pull it out of a ditch you soon start to wonder when it will be your turn to call the tow truck.

Admittedly recent meets i've been to have been proactively trying to stop the above practises, but at large meets you will always have an element that go to far and the bad press/publicity it brings with it will see the same type of enforcement as mentioned in the sky article brought on any gathering of cars because of the actions of the few.

Fact is there isnt that much difference between many cruisers and many scooby owners, indeed many cruisers these days as the residuals drop are scoob owners.
If a young guy starts on a saxo or 106 and starts modifying he may be doing so purely due to his age and the costs involved and may eventually buy a scoob or evo its almost a natural progression, in fact i can think of 4 current scoobynetters who were owners of highly modified peugeot drivers not so long ago, so why lambast them and feel the need to distance ourselves?

are we really THAT different, my last 4 years shows me we aren't.

I am in no way condoning any of the behaviour above or ar any other cruises or meets, just basically stating there isnt that much difference between us and the group that many see and talk about like an inferior life form.
Old 14 June 2003, 10:28 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Pete

Yeah good points. I get the feeling that this is starting to refer to the slightly younger crowd (god am I getting old? ).As you've said yourself, as you get a little older and wiser you learn not to rise to the challenge so easily.

But there doesn seem to be a certain element who really don't know what they are doing, don't understand the limits of their own ability (and cars) and will therefore get themselves in trouble and end up causing accidents.

Perhaps its time we started doing the same thing as they've done in California, where the Police have started opening up local raceways / circuits to let people 'race' their cars in a slightly less dangerous environment.

Chris
Old 14 June 2003, 10:29 AM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Give that man a round of applause!

Don't forget all the threads about Scoobs racing but that's OK because some have the deluded view that we own something more than a nippy piece of "jap cr@p" instead of a French hatchback so must be superior!
Old 15 June 2003, 12:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well said ptholt, live and let live I say, as long as it is done with a bit of thought.

Its been nice knowing you damian666

Les
Old 15 June 2003, 12:56 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some of the guys in sutton have great cars and spend a lot of time and money on them.the cruise scene is massive,dont know why but it always has been.however,the lower part of the high street is a no go area for a lot of people,i dont have a problem but i can see why some do.watch the video(above) the muppets on mopeds are out of control.these are 16 yr olds whose daddy has bought them a nice birthday present,guess what theyll get next year.couple of months ago there was a big accident involving an innocent party and a **** whod lowered the pressure in his tyres so he could doughnut better.i rest my case

last week i pulled up to a scooby outside sutton police station he waved to me then proceeded to lite his tyres and fly down the road.
these are public roads in a built up area with the general public walking around not a race track

from a slightly pi$$ed off £900 council tax payer

Old 15 June 2003, 01:35 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Care3,

I agree some of the cars that are around the area have had some serious amounts of money spent on them, and they have been done very well. I also know exactly what you mean about the moped riders as well. Only on Thursday night I witnessed 6 mopeds all riding together who then surrounded a car, whom was just an innocent person driving through the town!

A few weeks previously I was out on a works night out in town, and had just walked down to the Abbey National cash point, and the high street was full of cars from the sports bar, all the way to the link. The police then closed off the bottom of the high street by the sports bar, and closed the gates by the link so that more cars could not get down there. As I was walking back up towards the curry place, I saw a group of mopeds coming towards the gates which were closed, there is a gap big enough to allow mopeds/bikes through but not cars. Then one of them thought he would be clever and do a wheelie as he was riding down the high street with no lights on as well (was 22:30pm). When a police officer stopped him his first comment was "I did nothing wrong!" shortly followed by "You are picking on me!"

Ian