Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Great News Mobile Tax collection in London as of NOW

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 11:43 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just seen local BBC news TFL (Ken's mob) were on spinning the wonderful idea of mobile spped trap vans starting in London as of Today.

The spin doctors had been hard at work and made sure a trained chimp was their to spin the story their way with some lovely shots of tax collection van outside a school (last time the school will see that). The immortal line 4 people killed in this area (how big an area 1 mile 1/2 mile?) in last three years. Obviously not at that spot outside the school but why miss a nice photo for some accuracy? and didn't mention how many unsolved burlaries or muggings in the same area or the drug problems now did they! to embarressing that doesn't spin well

Shame the BBC let themselves promote the propaganda from TFL i thought they were supposed to put a balanced case forward? mention how much money the Police earn from the camera's that deaths have in fact risen in many area's operating this system. most Vans don't trap outside schools as they want a more profitable spot! and last but not least that the Met went on record last year saying they would not increase the number of Tax sorry speed camera's as they then had enough! Lying Bas****s again then. Who said you could trust a police man offer them money and their story changes.
Old 11 June 2003, 11:51 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Once again, edged towards the police.

Whilst I disagree with the fundamental idea of screwing the motorist out even more money, the police merely follow instruction from their controlling body.

The whole ethos of this government seems to be against the motorist. I'm just waiting for the time that even more tax is whacked on fuel costs and we have another blockade.

Driving will in 20 years time be a social taboo, just as drink driving is now if things don't even out a bit.
Old 12 June 2003, 09:00 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Whats the problem with this? everyone knows it is impossible to break the spead limit in london due to traffic jams they will soon bin the idea as not cost effective.
Old 12 June 2003, 12:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Have a look at the thread entitled "Very Funny Pic" from Brun, on this forum, for a similar thought:
Alcazar
Old 12 June 2003, 01:11 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

It's a strange situation, isn't it? It would be like saying it's legal to go and buy a gun, put bullets in it and carry it around, but if you we catch you pulling the trigger we'll arrest you. It doesn't make any sense. If the govt. really want to do something about speeding why don't they make manufacturers limit all vehicles to 80 mph? It would be so easy to do. 3,000 die on the roads each year , but issuing 3 million speeding tickets eay year isn't going to stop it. IMO.

PS - If all cars were limited at 80 I'd *definitely* be buying another mondeo...

Old 12 June 2003, 08:49 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Angry

limiting us all to 80mph would most likely increase road deaths as people would pay less attention to the driving than now (if that is possable.)

one of the points is this is typical of TFL anti car policy's and as said above will end up targeting the fast roads like A12 and M1 which if you use outside rush hour actually flow along reasonably well because TFL have notgot round to "Improving" them yet.

Exceeding the speed limit is the cause of such a small proportion of fatal crashes yet this is the only thing they target. the number of times i have now seen Police watch cyclists jump red lights and cause cars to have to take avoiding action and yet do nothing is beyond belief.

As to anti police well i never use to be but with current policies yes they have changed my view for the worse, they choose which laws to enforce and which to ignore funny enough car jacking is wide spread in london but very little is being successfully done to stop it. Drug use is so common place they have given up and leagalised it in some parts of london yet they want zero tolarance for breaking a nominal speed limit set up to half a century ago. The extrodianry numbers of people prosecuted for this yet still alive prove it is safe to do but the Police still have the same blinkered approach.

just a case of easy option with a finacial reward at the end i think most people would agree. Obviously not some police men!