Going self employed

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2003, 11:12 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone give me a quick roundup about what I need to know

Ive got the opportunity of a 5 month contract so was thinking of going self employed. How does IR35 impact this, and do I NEED to setup a company etc.

I am realy planning on going full time again after this.

Reason for doing this is that I am going to be made redundant on friday so its not like Ive got anything to loose, just don't want to set up a company etc if its going to be a lot more hastle.

Also, if self employed what are people charging for office at home etc, travelling costs etc

ta
Old 28 May 2003, 11:22 AM
4lex L
Scooby Regular

Robski,

Have a look at Business Link for some good advice on all aspects of self-employment/business start-up etc. I'd go for it, sounds like you've got nothing to lose.

Alex
Old 28 May 2003, 11:33 AM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

I did a similar thing to what you suggest but carried on as self-employed for 18 months.
You will just need to inform the tax office about what you are doing for the tax side. They will send you a tax form in April next yr.
You do not have to set a company as such...just think of a suitable name and, presuming you are working from home, use your home address as the company address.
Keep all records of expenditure and income for your tax form...I found it pretty easy to complete.
I would suggest your tax office if they are running a course for new self employed people - this, I found was v.good. Lots of useful info.
e-mail me if u need any more help.

Neil
Old 28 May 2003, 08:33 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

boing BTTT for any more replies
Old 28 May 2003, 09:04 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

If it's IT, most companies/agencies won't deal with you on a self-employed basis. They'll only work with limited companies.

You can either set one up yourself, or (if the contract is likely to be IR35-caught anyway) go via an umbrella such as ParasolIT.

Plenty of advice available at www.pcg.org.uk and it's only 100 quid to join. Also look at www.shout99.com and www.contractoruk.com.

[Edited by carl - 5/28/2003 9:05:32 PM]
Old 28 May 2003, 10:28 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

All you need to start getting paid is a Ltd company and a bank account. Get an decent accountant in the next few weeks.
That's it. You'll learn the rest
Old 29 May 2003, 08:22 AM
323roy
Scooby Regular

Saving setting up a ltd co, you could just walk into your local tax office and apply for a CIS4 cert. your employer would then omit your tax deductions and give you a CIS4 slip stating this SIMPLE.
i employ 16 no people this way on temp-full time basis.