Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Garages - Where do i stand

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2003, 01:35 PM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sent my car in for some work doing, there was a knocking noise under load and told the garage i just wanted that fixing because my car was going soon.
Told by the mechanic it was definetly propshaft bearing which he then replaced. I got my car back this morning and its still doing it. my question is do i have to pay the garage for the work done as when i rang him to ask if he had actually done it he just said it was knackered and needed changing.

If the fault isnt rectified do i have to pay ??
Old 20 May 2003, 02:01 PM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

can anyone help please, he will be coming round for a cheque this evening, and id like to know whether to pay him or tell him to pi$$ off.
Old 20 May 2003, 02:06 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

ask to see the old part back, I'm not sure how you stand legally but I have been in a similar situation where you end up paying for the garage to fault find continuously. There appears to be little or no precident on this and effectively your options are limited. Tell him to look at it again and see if he can find the fault himself, since its not fixed in your opinion, take him for a test ride. The problem might be that second time round they may not hand the car back till you hand over the cash.

Sorry to be no help at all
Camk
Old 20 May 2003, 02:14 PM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

I took him for a test ride in the first place and he said at the time its definatley the bearing and then called me from the garage to confirm this once he had stripped it down.
If he refuses to hand the car back the second time isnt that effectively theft and a police matter as he will not have a warrant to sieze goods ?

I dont mind paying for work doing, what i do mind is being in a position where i have to pay for work that didnt need doing in the first place.