Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why is England such a tip ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2003, 09:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Just watched a thing about a couple relocating to New Zealand, main observation was the lack of litter, not surprising as most days I see some slob dropping their crap everywhere, they drive out into nice areas around here to dump domestic appliances when there is a tip that cant be any further ?

Its not all bad but a large percentage of Brits are stupid, ignorant,aggressive and dirty, I am not saying I am perfect but what gives ?

I can see why people would emigrate, 104 grand for a nice big house with a double garage, we could sell up and buy a flippin southfork type place !
Old 13 May 2003, 09:17 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should live in Bexleyheath mate............
They have won Londons cleanest borough for the last couple of years!!!

Darren
Old 13 May 2003, 09:18 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Wages are however correspondingly lower in NZ. Nice place though, just don'r expect to go down there and pick up a 60K salary and buy a cheap house.
Old 13 May 2003, 09:22 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Angry

most days I see some slob dropping their crap everywhere
That's why. No one has any civic pride anymore.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Teenagers are the worst offenders IMO [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 13 May 2003, 09:23 PM
Luke
BANNED

true...London stinks and is filthy........only time they clean it was when the Queen Mother..God bless her Hip..would visit.

I going F*****G mad when I see monkeys throwing litter out of their cars ,in the streets etc..
Old 13 May 2003, 09:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yep Teenagers, I think they think its cool not to give a toss.

Old 13 May 2003, 09:37 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I am afraid it has a lot to do with how you were brought up.

My parents never dropped litter and taught me never to as well. As a kid my pockets were always full of sweet wrappers and such like.

Luckily enough I don't actually see town centre's very often nowadays, fields and farm life is far preferable.

[Edited by davyboy - 5/13/2003 9:37:41 PM]
Old 13 May 2003, 09:50 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

Gotta agree, my parents didn't drop litter (steal cars etc etc) so I don't either, it's not the most challenging thing in the world to find a bin

There's plenty of litter round here but I never see anyone drop owt, I'll go nuts on em if I do![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

As for tips, I can kinda see that, a lil bit! Our tips are feckin useless, they open less than office hours during the week and then very briefly, the wrong side of Hollyoaks on a weekend, no use to man nor beast If you are lucky enough to get in you're met by some bellend that won't let you tip owt anyway and then they won't suggest anywhere that might be able to help you out[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 13 May 2003, 09:56 PM
corsa boy
Scooby Newbie

Luckily enough I don't actually see town centre's very often nowadays, fields and farm life is far preferable.

Is this why you also drive a tractor for a car
Old 13 May 2003, 10:00 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Angry

Where I live 90% of the litter (and there's fooking lots of it) is take-away wrappers.

They should levy a tax on the 1000s of fast food outlets in London to make them pay for the mess.

It's no wonder there's rats everywhere.
Old 13 May 2003, 10:18 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Is this why you also drive a tractor for a car
Erm, I do not drive a 4WD car, so no.
Old 13 May 2003, 10:21 PM
Lord Of The Bling...
Scooby Regular

i walk to work in the city centre, and on saturday and sunday mornings the streets are full of take away food box`s, half eaten pizza`s, fried chicken bones, broken glass and varous piles of sick.which is nice.
Old 13 May 2003, 10:45 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

We had a woman stop her car and throw out a carry bag of crap onto the side of company drive, witnessed by a few people. No one did anything. This happened again, only this time the car type was banded around. 3rd time I happened to be passing the car, recognised it, say the rubbish being tossed as she opened her door - I stopped, got out and let rip. I took her rubbish bag and emptied in her car. Then I went in to the company and reported her and her car details - its quite simple when your pi$$ed off.

Who was she? A well dressed woman about 50 in a new Mondeo.

What do I do for a living - Environmental/Quality Auditor and proud of it!

totally agree with the apathy comment above - you see some ridiculous examples like people dropping litter when a bin 6 feet away.
Old 13 May 2003, 10:48 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

That's why. No one has any civic pride anymore. Teenagers are the worst offenders IMO
Gotta agree with Victor,apparently is not "cool" to put stuff in the bin..
Old 13 May 2003, 10:52 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

I blame asylum seekers and terrorists.
Old 13 May 2003, 11:01 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

lol @ paulr You haven't posted for ages mate

The other thing that I hate is 'tagging' [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Good grafitti is... well... good But the little ***** that go around squirting some dumb-assed name on everything need a feckin' good slap IMO [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

UB
Old 13 May 2003, 11:12 PM
Andy Mid.
Scooby Regular

lol @ Marky-San. I had something similar happen.

I'd gone to Sainsbury's in my lunchbreak with a mate and when we were wandering back to my car there was this salesman type bloke sitting in a Passat next to my car eating his sarnies. He then wound down his window and tossed the plastic container out

My mate picked up the packet off the ground and posted it back through the window onto the blokes lap (whilst giving him a bit of "friendly advice" )
Old 13 May 2003, 11:14 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I can honestly say that I have never ever dropped a piece of litter intentionally.

I always seem to come home with pockets full of crap!!
Old 13 May 2003, 11:19 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Talking

My mate picked up the packet off the ground and posted it back through the window onto the blokes lap (whilst giving him a bit of "friendly advice" )
Nice one...
Old 13 May 2003, 11:21 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Angry

its all about attitude and up bringing.
though not having a bin doesnt help(like airports, yeh I know, bombs and all)

the thing is if I was walking down the street and just dropped some piece of litter on the pavement Id feel terrible, thats just not me or what Im about. But we are all different arent we. The problem is some people just dont give a toss about things like this, and unfortuantely they breed more turds with a similar mentality.

Old 14 May 2003, 08:49 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

echoing the above statements, I agree, I was brought up on a very rough council estate until about 17 y/old, but my parents were very intelligent & brought me up with high morals/values etc.
I have passed this onto my 2 kids now & am lucky enough to live in a nice area now....but I feel sorry for the people who are still stuck on these bad estates/areas but have high morals/standards!!

shunty
Old 14 May 2003, 09:15 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I'm a bit ashamed to admit that as a child I just used to drop litter wherever. My parents taught me it was wrong and I wouldn't dare drop it when they were around. A lot of it was rebelling against what I knew was right just for the sake of it.

Needless to say when I see others doing it now it I find it puzzling, especially when its some respectable looking type. As for the kids, they are little sods just like I was. Hopefully they will grow out of it.

I think littering breeds more litter, when somewhere looks like a sh1thole then people don't care about making it look even worse. A vicious circle.
Old 14 May 2003, 09:29 AM
Andrewj
Scooby Regular

Think things have got worse over the last 30 years or so. Can't help thinking that it's all to do with a general decline in moral standards (I'm in old f*rt mode).

Lack of discipline in school (no corporal punishment) decline in religion (I'm no fan of that but it did seem to instil a sense of decency), fall in respect for authority etc. They all seem to have deteriorated over the same period.

My other gripes are manufactured "boy band" type pop music, reality TV, fly on the wall documentaries, soap operas, and Eamon Holmes...
Old 14 May 2003, 09:43 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I think it needs something on telly, the idiots all watch Pop Idol, Corry and the Im a Celibrity thing, maybe it needs a subtle approach because the keep Britain tody thing just doesent work, needs to make it cool or unacceptable, would need to be subtle and I havent got the first idea, maybe a soap storyline about somebody getting nicked, sent to prison and buggered senseless ?

Tagging, dont get me started, sad little retards, I live in a fairly nice area and there is an open place for football and it has swings etc, to be honest this bit of land must be worth a million quid plus to a developer but the council keep it for recreation, the local teenagers tag the nice brick wall behind it and leave, bottles, cans, johnnys and crisp bags everywhere, therefore I avoid taking my kids there, if they have nowhere to go, fair enough, go there but leave it as it was found.

My wifes aunt lives next to the beach in Anglessey, she owns the land next to the house on which there is a footpath, she has to pay liability insurance in case any idiot falls off the rocks and sues her, she cant block it off because it gets broken into, she cant build on it, therefore she has to put notices up and get insurance, the notices if on wooden poles bet burnt on bonfires, the plastic ones get melted and the metal ones wrenched off or defaced so the cannot be read. She spends most of her time clearing rubbish of the beach next to the house, they smash bottle on a beach used by kids, she takes verbal if she asks them to clear up, they set fireworks off at 2am, next time I go I will end up chinning somebody.
Old 14 May 2003, 10:05 AM
daiscooby
BANNED

I live in a nice little quiet residential road that only has 16 houses and we all take pride in our bit of turf. But if you stray onto the adjacent main road the state of the place is shocking. Mostly it is discarded fast food containers; McD's, kebabs etc, other food wrappers, newspapers( especilally the free junk give away stuff in the middle ), and empty cans. I saw one lad of about 17 - 18 drop an empty can 6 inches from a little bin. So I grabbed him and said put it in the bin, obviously makinhg sure I was bigger than him . He did so, but gave me torrents of abuse in the process. I put it down to the general drop in standards of the fabric of the British society over the last 20 years. Inescapably fact that we have as a country dropped our standards, plain and simple. How we recover these standards I don't know, I bring my children up to the same standards my parents brought me up to. But they are going to be influenced by the actions of their peers and what they se around them. Sad fact of life, we live in a declining society .
Old 14 May 2003, 10:10 AM
GU5
Scooby Regular

How many people think it's alright to throw their cigarette buts on the floor though?? Walk past any office building in London and there's a pile of them, usually a bin not too far away either
Old 14 May 2003, 10:18 AM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

If everyone stopped dropping litter (I don't by the way) then the litter picker uppers will all be made redundant.

Support the litter picker uppers and drop just on small piece of litter a day..

Note: No litter was dropped in the posting of this reply.

Old 14 May 2003, 10:23 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Question

Is there any reason why we don't have the prisoner's work groups in this country as they do in others (e.g. the US chaingang type thing)?

Bus a few jailbirds in to an area, give them black bags and litter pickers and that sort of thing and bingo! One (probably temporarily) clean area.

I bet that it would violate someone's rights though.
Old 14 May 2003, 10:26 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Linking from another thread on car thieves, as part of their punishment in the community (better and cheaper than prison)we should make them wear humiliating pink uniforms with "LITTER CREW" written in large fluro letters on the back and get them to start cleaning the place up. 12 hrs a day of that at weekends and 3 hours on week nights after they have been at school 9 we would check on this every day and any skivers would have extra weeks litter/graffiti duty added to their sentence) and they would soon try to avoid it. We could use ex-military personnel to enforce discipline in their teams of ex-criminals and empower them to use whatever force deemed suitable to make them tow the line.
Hard work and humiliation would soon see them pick a different lifestyle.
Old 14 May 2003, 10:28 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I didnt get the thing about the old chick in the Mondeo. She drives to some company and throws a plastic bag with rubbish out of the window?? I think she's fvcked in the head, mate! Why would anybody do something like that?
When my bin is full, I put it in the bigger bin downstairs and eventually they pick it up. Why would anyone want to take rubbish somewhere further than their own bin in their building or on front of the house??

Cigarette butts... well, yeah, they're not a pretty sight, but unless some ashtrays are put up, where are you supposed to put them?

Quick Reply: Why is England such a tip ?