Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog Trainers: Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2003, 07:03 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I have a 3 month old Jack Russell pup and we're undergoing a battle of wills at the moment when it comes to walkies. She runs on the spot when I try and get her to walk. I know how stubborn these dogs are and how they can run riot if they are not trained properly, so any advice on how to get her to walk properly on the lead would be great thanks.

I've been trying to stop in my tracks when she pulls and then only start again when there is a loop in the lead, but I can't see any progress. Granted I haven't been trying that long, should I persevere with this or try something else? It's useless trying to give her treats on a walk because I cant get her attention, she'd much rather jump into a hedge to see what's going on there.

Btw, I can't use a half choke chain collar or a halti harness because she has a tiny neck and I've only found one collar to fit her in the entire town, and she also leaps around like a frog, so will slip out of a harness very easily at the moment.

Ta!
Old 12 May 2003, 07:10 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

find your nearest kennel club training place - i got mine via a breeder - village hall once a week by someone who did dog shows.

didn't do me much good, but most of the other dogs there got sorted.
Old 12 May 2003, 07:50 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with a JR I had - she was minute! There are small, adjustable nylon harnesses [in black and they are like a rolled cord] available from Pets at Home which tighten when the dog pulls. It is only a training harness and not to be used all the time, cant remember what it was called, but it worked on our JR and also the larger version worked on one of our German Shepherds.
Old 12 May 2003, 09:08 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

She was supposed to be going to puppy classes starting this week but because of unforseen circumstance, we can't make it after all. I don't think Dad's that worried though, she barfs in his car as soon as we touch the road.

I'll have a look at that harness thanks Redkop. Is it easy for them to get out of? She's like a snake for wriggling.