Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Algarve Villas....

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2003, 01:35 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone on here got a 3 bedroomed one they rent out in the Algarve ??
OR
can anyone recommend a nice beach area within this region for villas ??
I want to get one in a nice area fairly close to the beach, it's always better to work off a recommendation.

cheers
shunty
Old 12 May 2003, 01:41 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dont know about villas, but a great area is round vilamoura area for really nice beaches, miles off them & only twenty mins from Faro mate
Old 12 May 2003, 01:41 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I've just returned from the Algarve and as a regular visitor to the area (family live there) can reccommend the Lagos area. There are some nice villas around Burgos (George Galloway the rebel MP has one there!). Avoid anywhere too near Faro, the further west you go the less touristy it is.

Try also Luz and Lagos itself.

No specific villas I'm afraid as I just stay in our family villa.
Old 12 May 2003, 01:43 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Vilamoura does have nice beaches, also loads of English tourists, pubs serving bitter and fish n chips. I go on holiday to get away from that stuff.

If you like beaches with less people on them,cheaper prices and a taste of real Algarvian life then "Go West!"
Old 12 May 2003, 01:46 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Smile

thanks for the info guys....I have never been to the algarve before & don't want to end up in a crap area/villa.
Looking to book in the next 2-3 weeks.

cheers
shunty
Old 12 May 2003, 01:49 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

NACRO - yes I would like the quieter beaches if possible.
We are going with friends who love the beach, me & the missus are more lakes/mountains to be honest (love Scotland apart from cold & miserable)...but we have decided to go for the beach as we have teenage kids.

shunty
Old 12 May 2003, 01:53 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah i have to agree with nacro ive stayed at vilamoura & olhos'd'agua & both are pretty full off english tourists me included, ive driven down to cape st vincent which is pretty much as far west as you can go & it does get more realisticas to what most portuguese live like, depends on what you want really, slightly lively down the strip or laid back as nacro says, itsa great place but driving is a real eye opener
Old 12 May 2003, 03:34 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Having recently got back from the Algarve - I can echo the above, the further west the less touristy, but I went to Faro, Vilamora etc a couple of times and on the whole the touristy bits aren't as bad as some...

I hired a car out there and paid 70euro + 30euro insurance for 5 days, I paid a group a price and got a group D car (though was only expecting a Group B car)... 5 door Pug 206 1.4 with Air Con - loads of fun!

I think the best bit about the roads were the speed control method used - no speed camera, just traffic lights which change if you speed through villages etc!
Old 12 May 2003, 03:35 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We've got a villa out there but it's fully booked up for the next 24 months.

If you don't mind spending a bit if money then try to get a place in Quinta do Lago. This is where our villa is situated and is by far the nicest complex in Portugal. Even if you don't get to stay there, definitely take a trip - there's a few nice shops and restaurants etc.

I'd also definitely recommend looking for a villa around Carvoeiro - this is where you'll find many brits and quite a few nice beaches. If you're looking for somewhere nice to have an evening meal definitely try a restaurant called Castello. It's quite dressy but the food is very nice (try their Portuguese steak!).

Definitely head as far out of Faro as possible - as has been mentioned it's not the nicest of places.
Albufeira used to be really nice but has now gone down a bit (still worth a trip). Definitely take a trip to Monchique - the locals up that way are very friendly. Every time we go we take a trip to Portimao which is a small fishing town - to be honest, I'm not a big fan of it but my family are (in other words, visit only if bored!). Wouldn't bother with Olhao either.
Old 12 May 2003, 03:40 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Try Style and Panorama holidays if you want someone to take care of it all.

Defo recommend Lagos and Luz, and a trip to the end of the world (the most westerly tip) is well worth it.

Word of advice though, and applicable to any holiday destination, make sure the villa is secure, and preferably not too remote. We got burgled there last week, and like most holiday accomodation locks, they didn't require much pursuasion to open.
Old 12 May 2003, 04:28 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

thanks all for the info....gives us something to get started with.
I am going to print this all off & take a better look tonight & put names of places recommended against a map
andym172, shame about your villa not being available, booked for 24 months, mind you a scouser with a villa, would I have to bring a "package" back with me then & deliver it to Big John

ps - I have a mate who is a scouser & he gets sick of me saying "but dey do doh don't dey". I still can't resist saying it though after 8 pints

anyone else off scoobynet got a villa in August for 2 weeks then ??

shunty

Old 12 May 2003, 04:41 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

andym172, shame about your villa not being available, booked for 24 months, mind you a scouser with a villa, would I have to bring a "package" back with me then & deliver it to Big John

ps - I have a mate who is a scouser & he gets sick of me saying "but dey do doh don't dey". I still can't resist saying it though after 8 pints

anyone else off scoobynet got a villa in August for 2 weeks then ??

shunty
You cheeky...

You're gonna find it hard to find a nice villa for acceptable ££ for 2 weeks in August - if you let me know how much you're looking to spend then I'll ask around for you!

Apart from that, good luck!

Andy.
Old 12 May 2003, 04:59 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Not only that but the every where is heaving in August- my family usually leave the Algarve then if they can!

Massive Q's in the Supermarkets, water goes off all the time (at least once a week last yr) and the roads packed with tourists in Matiz's and Atoz's.

Don't let that put you off but it's best to visit out of season if you can- June is usually not too bad or after the 1st week in Sept.
Old 12 May 2003, 05:32 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

forgot to add, the wife works in school so got to be in the 6 weeks hols with big prices unfortunatly.

shunty
Old 12 May 2003, 09:41 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

[pedant]Most westerly point in continental Europe is Cabo da Roca outside Lisbon, Sao Vincente is probably most south-westerly point [/pedant]
Old 22 May 2003, 09:53 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

update, we have now booked a lovely villa in Albuiferia for 1 week.

Thanks to all those who gave me info about the area etc

cheers

shunty
Old 22 May 2003, 12:18 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have not said anything about this before because I wanted to wait until everything had been finalised but I recently purchased a one bedroom property on the Algarve as an investment property. The purchase was completed last Friday and I thought I'd let you know if you're interested in renting...it's available for weekends (or weeks would be even better for me). Initially I will be handling bookings myself, until I find an Agent in the area to manage the property.
Weekends will cost approximately £30.00 (friends' rate) for two nights and £80 for the week, at least up till 30 June of this year. It's a one bed on the first floor, (no lift sorry) but has lovely sea views etc. Attached is a photo, so let me know if you are interested.

LMFAO
Si
Old 22 May 2003, 12:41 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Shunty - email me at work mate (you still got the addy ?) Mate has a villa in Lagos, West Algarve. We're all off there in late August.

Sleeps eight, there are 2 doube rooms, and 2 twin rooms. There is a maid service, BBQ area, 2 terraces, satelite tv, safe, air conditioning, private pool.

Drop me a mail at work (or even at the djdunk addy) and I'll try to sort something out

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 5/22/2003 12:49:10 PM]
Old 22 May 2003, 12:59 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

DOH! Must read the whole thread before posting

Shame mate, cost us £900 for a week
Old 22 May 2003, 02:30 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

just read your replies....bu55er
not too worry though, it's the flights that are a bit difficult to source. Cost us £2900 all in for 4 adults & 2 teenagers, 3 d'roomed villa.

cheers anyway
shunty
Old 22 May 2003, 02:32 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Wink

lol @ scooby-si looks like summat out of ******.

shunty
Old 22 May 2003, 02:38 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Question

When you booked for ? Might see you out there
Old 22 May 2003, 03:20 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

going 23rd august for 1 week.
I have mailed you the link to the villa we are staying at. I'm sure we could meet up for a beer or 2 mate

shunty

Old 22 May 2003, 03:21 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

We're off on the 29th, a bit tight but should be able to catch up for a few

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 5/22/2003 3:22:30 PM]
Old 22 May 2003, 04:13 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

just had my mail bounced from spamcop ??? obviously thought I was trying to sell you a holiday

don't worry if it's too tight to meet up mate. We don't have a car anyway.

shunty
Old 22 May 2003, 05:44 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

& the name is scooby_si scooby-si is less good looking & aint blessed with my intellect & humour lmao
Si
Old 23 May 2003, 08:53 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Wink

scooby_si your name is not DNS friendly his is & you do realise that next year after your promotion/pay increase & you buy an EVO or Skyline you will have to change your name, ask SAXO boy

shunty
Old 23 May 2003, 11:32 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

yeah but i'd never get a sensible answer if i asked saxo lol
Si (AKA skyline_si on GTR boardlol)
Old 23 May 2003, 11:33 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

& pay rise is optimistic they just took me bonus off me
Si (off 2 sell his *** lol)
Old 05 December 2003, 02:01 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I took the scoob with me this time! I showed them how to drive properly.

As far as lakes/mountains go you will be able to do both if you stay nr Lagos. Approx 20km from Lagos is Monchique- its a village and area which are pretty mountainous. If you get a hire car
(I can recommend LuzCar http://www.algarve-web.com/luzcar/defaultger.asp) you wil be able to drive to Capo St Vincent which used to be known as the "end of the world" until America was discovered, the most westerly point in continental Europe as well as miles of deserted beaches on the coast going North from there.

Any other info you want to know just ask here and I'll do my best to answer.

[Edited by NACRO - 5/12/2003 2:03:32 PM]

Quick Reply: Algarve Villas....