Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

rave review, Planet hardcore last night (B2B review business!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2003, 06:49 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

As me and my mate, Davespice, went to the rave together, it made sense to do a back 2 back review of the night!
Here we go...
Alright everyone, Dave here - I'm round astraboy's house recovering at the moment!! He said I could go first so here goes!!

First off, quote of the night - this is going to mc Storm methinks for saying 'this time round we don't want none of that w00p w00p ****, this is Hardcore not Garage!!' - respect mate! Exactly what we tought!

I didn't get there till about 5 minutes into Scotties set (Pete and I were lost in Northampton for about 45 minutes - hehe) set so we missed Smileys one, did it get taped ?? Anyway, Scottie was proper rocking it - really going for it, you could tell - he was bouncing around behind the decks like a psycho!! It really uplifts the atmosphere when the ravers can see the DJ is enjoying themselves, respect Scottie - proper job!! I'm gonna hand over to astra now!

Yeah we (me Compy, Rizla and Kat) arrived at the tail end of Scottie's set, he was doing a sorted job, and the patented planet hardcore atmosphere was already through the roof. as usual, I am a little fuzzy on tune selection, but it was a cracking start to my night at the rave.
After Scottie, Hixxy stepped up, accompanied by MC storm. Hixxy started out as he usually does, slowing the pace a tad at the start, before moving it up progressivly throughout his set. Have to say a massive massive respect for playing my favourite tune ATM at the end of his set The remix of Praga Khan - Injected with a poison. Erm, RUSH!!!!!!! 8) Back to Dave:

Hiya, as Hixxy finished his set I went for a wander around the club. I have to say that a lot of work has been done on their sound systems - they were sounding much clearer than the first event - at times there was the odd crackle, but it was still a huge improvment on the last time - well done Got back to the Hardcore room and Breeze was playing, so I went back on the floor and got stomping - just to side track for a second; did anyone notice the floor in there was a bit like melted tar-mac ? If you kept your feet on the same spot for more than a second you had to wrench it off again ? I nearly lost my shoes at one point!! Anyway yeah, Breeze and Whizzkid were rocking the place with uplifting vibes and lyrical talent - I think he played Techno Harmony which is one of my favorite tunes at the moment so respect to you mate!! Anyway, I'm gonna hand you back to Astraboy once more;

Yep, Yep, once Breeze and Whizzkid had finished It was the turn of Darren Styles and the welcome return of Smiley. During his set, for some reason the temparature in the main room shot up, which is why the crowd seemed to wilt a bit during Styles's set. Ever resourceful, Jerome (one of the promoters) made his way onto the dancefloor with a big box of icepoles. Rather than a quid a shot a la bagleys he just chucked em out to whoever wanted em! Mine melted in about 5 seconds flat, but serious respect is due for the liquid refreshment mate 8) Styles's set was raverbaby based, with tunes such as Future Shining and Ultimate High. Smiley was joined by Whizzkid in the first half of his set but left the ravers in the promoters capable hands during the latter half.
Over to Dave:

Next up for the final hour it was Sketchy and Compulsion, they really upped the pace here!! This was probably one of my favorite sets of the night, loads of scratching, beat chopping, turntabalist tricks - they were ****ing going for it! When he played Mad World I was rushing my ********* off, the dance floor got seriously busy at this point and it was hard to avoid the mass of random feet and legs going in all directions around you!! hehe :twisted: More ice poles started raining down on people and then **** me - FREE VINYL !! They must have lobbed about 20 - 30 records into the crowd, it got a bit dangerous at one point - I nearly got the corner of sleeve in my right eye! I managed to pick up a TP of Jelly Baby 5 and a full release copy of My Dreams / Guiding Light on UK dance. How cool was that of them ? Big respect is due here, you could really get a vibe of the promoters that they really did care about the ravers and what they thought of them. That really pollished the night off well that did, nice one guys I look forward to the next event!! Over to astra;

Innit, my second Planet hardcore and I was even more impressed than than the first one. The Production kicked *** and the DJ lineup, while not as varied as the first time, was still of the highest quality. I got a free tune as well, only trouble is I dont have a set of decks to play it on! Everyone seemed to be on the same wavelength, I was handed a free lollypop by the Sound engineer as I walked past, how many other events does that happen at? attendence was a little down on the first one, but the place was nicely full, and the atmosphere was again, through the roof. If you aint been to a planet hardcore yet, you dont know what you're missing
astraboy & Davespice.
P.S. GET A 6 AM LICENSE - Dave

Shouts to;

BillyBass, Sketchy, Compulsion, RizlaDizla, Teresa, Spencer, Gammer, Koochy, Storm, Whizzkid, Smiley, Gill, Jerome, Scottie, Kickin_k, AndyM, Kat, and ... err we've just spent 5 minutes trying to remember everyone else but we're too spannered so please forgive us if we've forgotten you off here!
Old 11 May 2003, 06:51 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

reading this completes my weekend
Old 11 May 2003, 07:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny thing is that I have actually started to look forward to these threads, it amazes me the recall of a given previous evening's entertainment, I just end up with random recall of sections of a night with about 50% missing and all out of order (bit like Pulp Fiction), next time I go out I think I shall attempt a review in the style of AB as a Homage, somehow a night in the local with a couple of mates and the brother in law might not be as exiting, in the meantime I will come up with some alternative names for my mates and the locals.

Astraboy, and I mean this in a positive way but does this make you a bit of a Rave Trainspotter ?
Old 11 May 2003, 07:44 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Get a digi cam

you know you wanna
Old 11 May 2003, 10:28 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

hehe, my reviews are not trainspotter mate, I'm just a raver who loves what I do and wants everyone else to know what they're missing. There are a lot worse than me on a raver forum.
try this, its a review done by a scottish bloke who's into dutch hardcore techno: http://www.ush.net/board/viewtopic.p...ghlight=review
and this, this guy did a review of a hard house weekender, the whole thing! http://www.ush.net/board/viewtopic.p...ht=tidy+review
now THATS trainspotter
astraboy.