Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

drinking pipe cleaner - anyone in the bar trade ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 01:47 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evil stuff....

Friend of mine had some in his drink as somewhere didnt flush the lines properly....
was rather ill.......

Go get yourself checked out...

then go kick your 'mates' ***.

edit- in my club, we certainly dont leave it lying about on the bar! And not in a bottle the same as we sell! Thats just dumb and asking for trouble.

[Edited by Freak - 5/2/2003 1:49:50 PM]
Old 02 May 2003, 01:27 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

Question

so i'm in a bar last night getting nicely pi$$ed and a mate hands me a bottle of absolut vodka and says this stuff should taste bad. me thinks it's chilli vodka or something so has a swig. f*******ck i spit it out cos my mouth is on fire. on the back of the bottle is a label "do not drink - hazardous material". I go to the bar and ask what the hell is going on and they say it's a display bottle that's got beer pipe-cleaning fluid in it - so we have an argument, i drink loads of water and wobble out to my hotel. so today my mouth is still bloody sore and i phone them up to confirm chemicals so i can ask the doc for treatment. manager gives complete denial saying it was filled with water - it could have has pipe cleaner in it previously but was washed out, and anyway pipe cleaner is purple. they have the bottle still and won't tell/do anything until i have an official docs note - seeing him at 4.

It certainly was not water ... my tongue feels like it's burnt from drinking something VERY hot

question: anyone in the bar trade know what could have happened ?
Old 02 May 2003, 01:31 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Angry

Don't know what happened but if you can eat and drink again properly then you are lucky. This happened to a friend of a friend who now eats through a straw [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

If this was a practical joke someone wants locking up...
Old 02 May 2003, 01:35 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Line cleaner can be clear. I have used it.

Your mate needs a fecking good kicking if this is his idea of ajoke and the landlord is breaking the law bynot storing chemicals in the correctly labeled containers.

Personnaly I would report him to the police and press fecking charges.

Jason.
Old 02 May 2003, 01:36 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Well said Badger...
Old 02 May 2003, 02:04 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Health and Safety breaches? See if he'd like his bar closed down for a bit while under investigation?
Old 02 May 2003, 02:08 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I think the main ingredient is caustic soda (sodium hydroxide). It won't do you any good at all. Did you swallow any? If not you should be ok if you rinsed you mouth out well.

If you did swallow some then I would see a doctor, because a significant amount, depending on how strong the mix was, can be fatal!
Old 02 May 2003, 02:11 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

HSE, COSHH, take your pick. You could have a field day with this. I would defo take it further as this is well beyond a joke. This stuff if ingested in enough quanties can cause serious permanant damage.
Take it further before this idiot(s) clobber someone good and proper.
Old 02 May 2003, 02:12 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

From an HSE document at http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~johnson/teaching/hci-java/hse_mirror/hotel.pdf

"A bar/cellar man, whilst carrying out his duties, consumed a quantity of pipe cleaning fluid.
The cellar man cleaned the pipes before a lunch-time session. After cleaning the pipes, with the
fluid, the cellar man tasted the beer. Later in the day he informed the manager of the public
house that he could still taste the cleaning fluid. The manager advised the cellar man to go to
hospital but he declined. The following day, the cellar man was found collapsed and was taken
to hospital where he subsequently died."
Old 02 May 2003, 02:19 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Red face

Absolutely shocking (no pun intended!).

This stuff is lethal, especially if you had gulped a who lot down. You certainly wouldn't be eating & breathing as you do now if you had swallowed it.

Remember seeing a program on the tv a while back about a guy who did actually swallow this by mistake. The guy was very lucky to survive, if you call a man who's had several operations to remove pretty much most of his stomach and throat.

I wouldn't exactly call this person my friend. Saying that, I did nearly make a friend of mine drink a wasp, but I was very young at the time!
Old 02 May 2003, 04:13 PM
4lex L
Scooby Regular

Question

mwp, are you still with us?! Hope your better soon so you go an kick your *mates* ****.
Old 02 May 2003, 04:29 PM
Fat Boy Slim
Scooby Regular

Worked in a pub for years when young that stuff is lethal and should no way have been in your mouth. We had to clean the pipes through and then flush them for ages to get the cleaner out. It will not have done your mouth any good what so ever and I would think of compensation if any permanent damage was done.

We had to check the water before running beer back through it to make sure it was all out the water was slimey to touch if cleaner was still in it.

Feel sorry for you mate not a nice thing to happen hope the mouth mends soon

Dunk
Old 02 May 2003, 04:35 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Hey Dunk.

How's it going?

Seen Drew recently?

Jason
Old 02 May 2003, 04:54 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

We had to check the water before running beer back through it to make sure it was all out the water was slimey to touch if cleaner was still in it.
classic symptom of Sodium Hydroxide. The "soapy" feeling is it actually working on the oils in your skin!

I have been on the end of some nice caustic soda burns in my curious youth, namely dissolving my mums aluminium pans in concentrated drain cleaner
Old 02 May 2003, 05:06 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

Doctor says the burning feeling in my mouth is consistent with "pipe cleaner" which according to the poisons unit at guys is Sodium Hydroxide + Sodium Hyperchlorite. Pain should go away and to take regular OTC pain killers if uncomfortable.

Waiting for bar to phone back ... more later.
Old 02 May 2003, 05:14 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

hmmm.. Sodium Hyperchlorite is also used in swimming pools along with Sodium Trichloroisocynuric acid - namely your common chlorine tablet.

Sounds like you had a nasty old cocktail there and were lucky to get away with minor injuries! Definately persue the bar. This is one of those rare occasions when I would condone the use of an "accident hotline" type organisation!
Old 02 May 2003, 05:30 PM
Luke
BANNED

Remember setting a bear pipe up with loads of cleaner in it.This was done to teach a thief a lesson. No problems guessing who it was!!! Bloke went well sick!!!
This was done in the days before all the PC brigade popped their heads up.....Good old days.

The bottle as it was paid for belongs to you or your mate. I would call the local press and brewery.......few ££ to be made.
Old 02 May 2003, 05:38 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

You sure it really wasn't just chilli vodka and you're a bit of a wuss?
Old 02 May 2003, 05:39 PM
Luke
BANNED

!!!
Old 02 May 2003, 06:10 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

with friends like those, i'd hate to meet your enemies!
Old 02 May 2003, 06:18 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Take legal advice>
Keep us posted
Old 02 May 2003, 10:17 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

so i tell the bar manager what the doc said and they want to meet to discuss the "situation" on tuesday. hmmmm.

0800 claims-r-us

... more as it happens.

thanks for all the advice
Old 02 May 2003, 10:28 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Take a solicitor with you. Or record it. Do NOT let them try to slide out with "well, we'll give you an extra hundred quid pay and hear no more of it". This lot are absolutely up the creek, there should be no compromise from your side.
Old 02 May 2003, 10:38 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Red face

This has to be a wind up surely. None of the three parties involved could be *that* daft
Old 02 May 2003, 10:46 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

How did your 'mate' get his paws on the stuff - If he was sold it - claims all round - if he went behind the bar and lifted it then its down to him. Set him up with an easy bird with a dose
Old 02 May 2003, 11:49 PM
stubarru
Scooby Regular

I that stuff was beer pipe cleaner I'm surprised her has not got any mouth left. Pipe cleaner if not diluted will burn through plastic pipes in about 15 mins and even diluted stuff will eat clothing. H & S states that now protective googles and gloves should be worn when doing this job!! I'm pretty sure that now all pipe cleaner is coloured to stop it getting confused with anything else so when you do clean pipes you know when there is water only.

Anyway get in touch with your local Health and Safety officer

Stu