Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Aargh - Credit Card Companies - Anything I Can do?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2003, 08:19 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sent a cheque for £200 to my credit card company (first month I had the credit card) on the 20th Feb. Minimum payment date was March 7th. On March 6th I called them up as cheque had not been cashed. They said they had not received the cheque - I agreed to transfer the money from my account and they would not charge me for late payment. Job done me thinks.

Today I check my bank account online to find a cheque for £200 has been taken from my account. Yes, you guessed it, its the cheque I sent them nearly 2 months ago. That cheque has taken me over my overdraft limit as I wasnt expected it, so no doubt I will get charged £25 etc from my bank.

Is this just a case of lump it because I never cancelled the cheque, or do I have a legitimate cause to complain?

Simon.
Old 15 April 2003, 08:31 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

I'd say at least call the credit card company and the bank and explain the situation - they can only say no, but if they are aware of the circumstances then one or both parties may be able to make amends.

I once used Barclays telephone banking to pay off my Barclaycard, but because I called too late in the day, the transation wouldn't go through until the next day - a day late. I called Barclaycard who were very understanding and waived any charges they might have levied for a late payment.

If it comes to it, tell your credit card company that if that is the kind of service you can expect in the future, then maybe you'll be considering taking your business elsewhere.
Old 15 April 2003, 09:02 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Phoned the credit card company who were about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Phoned my bank (Natwest) and they were very professional and sorted me out with an extended overdraft so I dont incur any charges. The girl I spoke to even noticed it was my birthday

Simon.
Old 15 April 2003, 12:21 PM
rawsy
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have had similar problems with a certain credit card company in previous months - I opened it after they advertised a good deal on the tv. Wish I hadn't now, as their customer services is pants, I don't think any of them knew what I was talking about(including "managers"). Anyway, in the end through sheer frustration I said I wasn't going to pay them until they got things sorted, and I didn't expect any late payment charges.......so I had 3 months of interest free credit and they credited my account twice with £20 for the inconvenience !!

These are probably the same muppets u are dealing with.....good luck, and if u persist they will refund/not charge u just to shut you up !!!

Cheers,
G
Old 15 April 2003, 01:16 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Well I have no qualms revealing the name - its a University of Portsmouth Platinum Card (I got it for the 6 monts 0% finance) which is a front for HFC also called Beneficial.

Simon.