Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I want to learn a language

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2003, 10:12 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

At the moment I'm spending about 3-5 hours per day travelling, so thought to myself, why not learn a second language.

I'm thinking of either French or German, mainly conversational (I'll be able to read it based on how it sounds) as I don't really need to know how to write it.

Has anyone got any recommendations as to suitable courses?

Thanks
Old 07 April 2003, 10:22 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

have you got any kids??

if so, you could should learn txtspeak, that way you would be able to converse with them l8ter on.

on a serious side, spanish is quite easy to pick up, it does help if you can go out there a bit and "live the life"

i personally wouldn't bother with French, as we'd prob be at war with them soon anyway!!

BB
Old 07 April 2003, 10:28 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

German would be handy for the Ring trips

I guess the thing with the tapes is that they are fine for conversational German / French etc, but not so good for reading / writing. Might be worth looking for packs that cover both, so you can do the conversational bit in the car, and the reading / writing some other time to complement it.

BTW Doing the reading / writing bit while you are driving is probably a bit norty
Old 07 April 2003, 10:29 AM
yoza
BANNED

Question

If you have so much time due to travelling,why not try a teach yourself tape or CD.

A guy I work with began to do this through a personel tape player,he was allowed to use whilst doing his job.

Last time I heard he was doing well speaking a bit of Spanish,he did sound a bit daft though,repeating out loud what he was listening to.
Old 07 April 2003, 10:33 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Yoza, thats what I thought, get a CD, sit in the car and look a prat to other road users (or should that be more of a prat? ) but at least they can't here me.

I've seen several different ones, at various prices, just wondered if anyone had tried one or could recommend one. They seem to range from £20 to about £200.
Old 07 April 2003, 10:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

We have the Linguaphone improver's French on CD. Each has been played only once, as I recorded it onto audio cassettes for my wife's use in her car. It's helped her enormously, and she now wants the next set.
We refused to buy on audio cassette as car tape players are renowned for eating tapes, and if you have the CD at home, no harm done, just re-record it.
If you're interested, you could have the CD's for £50 inc P&P
Mail me, or reply on here.
Alcazar
Old 07 April 2003, 11:20 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Learn the language that'll be most useful to you. I learnt french at school and don't have a pronblem with it, but having been to italy, switzerland and Germany recently I think German would be more useful.

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2003, 11:22 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Damn, I'd forgotten about the listening library!

Better get down there tomorrow and see what they've got. Try before you buy sort of thing.

Thanks for the offer Alcazar, might take you up on it if I find I like the Linguaphone one
Old 07 April 2003, 01:01 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An old girlfriend taught me some Norwegian, I carried on learning from books and tapes after she went home, I then spent a year living in Copenhagen and as a result I'm virtually fluent in written Norwegian and Danish but a bit out of practice speaking them after being back in the UK for 5 years Well worth learning another language.

Steve.
Old 04 July 2003, 10:39 AM
yoza
BANNED

Question

I think this guy borrowed his from a CD library,if there is such a thing,anyway there were a few of them and he has problems buying a 18p coffee out of the vending machine so he wouldnt have payed for them.
Can you borrow CDs from the library,or book club,Ill ask him when I see him.

[Edited by yoza - 4/7/2003 10:40:15 AM]