Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Legal Advice - Magazine Subscription

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2003, 07:51 AM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

Any legal eagles want to offer some free advice?

I subscribed to a well-known motoring magazine last year (I don't want to name it for obvious reasons). Since then I have moved house, so I wrote to said magazine to ask they change my address and cancel my subscription, sending me any overpayment.

Since writing that letter (October last year) I have continued to receive the magazine at my new address (not redirected - direct from the publishers). No monies have been taken from my bank account, so I am receiving the magazine free of charge.

Now here's the question: I can't believe the magazine are being generous and giving me a lifetime subscription for free, so what's the chance of them coming after me for "unpaid subs"? I wrote the letter on my PC, so I have a copy of it, but will it be any sort of defence? Should I contact the magazine and ask them to stop sending the mags, or will this only serve to bring the situation to their attention?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Daniel
Old 04 April 2003, 07:58 AM
Luke
BANNED

As long as you have cancelled and not paying for it..Why worry!!! Not your fault they cant get things right.
Old 04 April 2003, 08:10 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure that all goods and services recieved must be paid for if solicited.

However, if unsolicited then there is no requirement - this is why I am surprised so many window cleaners are still in business.

IMO you have no requirement to pay for these magazines. However, check the T&Cs of your original subscription - there may be a clause whereby 'you will be charged if ya dont cancel' then they can chase up payment.
Old 04 April 2003, 08:10 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

I had something similar a few years back, whereby the magazine I was subscribed to finished and they decided to send me a different magazine.
I told them I don't want the magazine and the cancel my subscription.
They then took out of my account the refunded money, so I rang them to complain that rather than refund me the money, they've debited me the money owed
The then refunded me the money but I still recieved the 'new' magazine for the remaining months of my subscription.
Shame it was to Edge magazine
Old 04 April 2003, 08:11 AM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Clarifying:

As you are still recieving the magazine, they probably think you havent cancelled.
Old 04 April 2003, 08:17 AM
ScoobyDan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the prompt replies

Damian - it appears that the accounts department know I have cancelled (no payment requests to my bank) but the despatch department don't (still sending me mags). A case of left hand not knowing what right hand is doing!

So, do I ring them to let them know the situation?

Daniel
Old 04 April 2003, 08:43 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Do you ring them? That's up to your conscience! If you don't want the mag, I'd suggest yes, as otherwise yuo could get stung for the bill.

Joolz

Trending Topics

Old 04 April 2003, 12:39 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

When was the subscription due to end?

Most won't refund any unused subscription costs if you cancel early, so it could be that you're just receiving your subscription up to the end of the first year, at which point the cancellation will kick in and you won't receive any more.