Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

who else is owed money by someone else on this bbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2003, 03:30 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In fairness to Fosters he states he has been owed the money for over a year. Whilst I can't imagine myself ever letting a debt of £500 take that long to sort out, he has. We don't know what has gone on between him and the anonymous other party before posting so I think judging him so quickly is a bit harsh.

You can't compare this to a newspaper as it is a public forum.

The title of the thread is a simple question. Maybe it would benefit those on here that do trade goods through the forums to hear any difficulties people are having.

[Edited by 7 Foot - 4/2/2003 4:32:16 PM]
Old 04 February 2003, 05:14 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Well davyboy?
[Damn, not quite time by the Scoobynet clock ]

[Edited by carl - 4/2/2003 5:14:53 PM]
Old 04 February 2003, 08:10 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yeah, the persons name is Clarebabes, or Clare

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! - 4/2/2003 8:57:41 PM]
Old 02 April 2003, 01:30 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

It's nothing to do with scoobynet, but you think long standing regular posting members are okay.

I just read the thread on 'legal means of getting my money' and it spurred me to text the person who owes me best part of 500 quid.

If they don't respond, I'll name and shame them. They've owed it for over a year and I've been more than reasonably patient!

:fecking angry:
Old 02 April 2003, 01:49 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Get a life. What is it with people and this 'name & shame' rubbish?

Can't you just phone the person, or pop around to their house and sort it out with them?

In every name & shame incident I've seen here (and on other BBSes) it's ended up getting blown out of proportion, and could have been sorted out much sooner. It was also usually as a result of a silly misunderstanding.

If people used the phone a bit more, or talked to each other, rather than just using 'ignorable' forms of communication such as texting or emailing, these things probably wouldn't happen.

<sigh>
Old 02 April 2003, 01:53 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

MarkO - How on earth do you know what lengths these people have gone to to try ang get their money back before they post on here.

The post above hardly deserves your childish comments.

<sigh>
Old 02 April 2003, 01:58 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

One of my mates owes me 15pence for a cup of hot chocolate i bought him from the drinks machine at work.
Old 02 April 2003, 01:59 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Keep it clean guys.

Cheers
Old 02 April 2003, 02:05 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Smile

7Foot, I don't know the lengths they've gone to pay the money. I also don't know the (possibly valid) reasons for the other party witholding funds. In fact, I know nothing about it, as it's none of my business, nor anyone else on the board other than the 2 parties involved.

Simple question - if you bought a car through classified ad in a newspaper, and there was some dispute over payment, would you publish an article in the paper for everyone else to read, or would you just sort it out privately?
Old 02 April 2003, 02:14 PM
steve G MAN
Scooby Regular

mark o the reason people want name and shame is so it dosent happen to them this guy could be doing it all the bloody time if i see anyone named and shamed i wouldent do any buying and selling with them
Old 02 April 2003, 02:19 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, Steve, but in most cases we've had before the naming and shaming has happened far too early/quickly, meaning that somebody can cop a load of abuse and have their reputation damaged before they've even had a chance to defend themselves.

That's all.

Doesn't bother me, anyway, as I wouldn't buy anything off anyone on SN - I know you're all a bunch of crooks.
Old 02 April 2003, 02:23 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Someone on this Board owes me over £300.. eh Gaz...
Old 02 April 2003, 02:34 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Someone on this board owes me several '000 pounds. I will give them until 17:15 before I name and shame.................
Old 02 April 2003, 03:30 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Exactly Marko, you know nothing about it or the lengths people have gone to before posting on here so I'd suggest you keep your cráp to yourself, it serves no useful purpose.

If somebody is owed money then it's simple, pay up or risk being named so others can stay clear of dealing with that person.

There are too many Do-gooders in this world.
Old 02 April 2003, 04:17 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Although I agree that Mark did rather jump into the thread with both feet (almost in mouth ), I agree that the name and shame system doesn't really help matters in the long run.

If people have a number (as Fosters must had to text the guy) why not call them. If not, then write to them. If they're a pain, and you're getting nowhere, then issue a smmons against them. I've been forced to do that on a few occasions, and it does tend to focus their minds. Especially when you start adding interest to the debt.

It's not easy to sort these things after the event, and these days I'm afraid it's becoming difficult to know who to trust.

Josh
Old 02 April 2003, 04:33 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

well if its been more than a year why not, its taking the p1ss dont you think....
Old 02 April 2003, 04:41 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The one advantage is that it alerts other people who may end up trading with this person.
Old 02 April 2003, 04:48 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

yup i agree, this person cant be trusted.

Now depending on the persons financial position, a year is a long time money wise, financial status changes, is im sure some are aware when running subarus for a while, you may have to sell because of lack of cash
Now should the unforseeable happen, its going to **** me off if someone still owed me money after all that time & i was in a position of really needing it....
Old 02 April 2003, 05:11 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

It's all very well saying write to them or issue a CC Summons, what if you don't have their address, if it's a private individual. I would think that after 12 months, Fosters must have tried every approach open to him.
Old 02 April 2003, 05:15 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Two points here.

1. Anyone who is dumb enough to sell/buy (or carry out any form of transaction) with somebody without getting a landline phone number and a postal address can't really justify complaining if one of the two parties doesn't complete the deal.

2. Anyone who's owed £500 for a whole year and hasn't already taken things further either isn't bothered about the money or is really pretty silly.

Do people really buy/sell valuable stuff by email on this BBS purely relying on somebody's post count as an indicator that somehow proves they're reliable?!?!?
Old 02 April 2003, 05:43 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i agree with marko take the adult route and start issuing summons against them (i would have done this a lot earlier personally) and let us all enjoy the bbs with out worrying that someone will be using as a personal vendetta against other people.
Old 02 April 2003, 06:12 PM
ChrisB

There are also two sides to most stories. Maybe the other person hasn't paid up for a reason?

I'm not saying this is the situation in Foster's case but people outside the issue calling for "name and shame" is not always the answer IMHO.

Chris.
Old 02 April 2003, 06:41 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Where is Fosters?
Old 02 April 2003, 06:43 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

there 4 cans in my fridge
Old 02 April 2003, 06:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Smile

Dunno, but I know where Cockfosters is:
Alcazar
Old 02 April 2003, 06:50 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Was begging for it I s'pose!!
Old 02 April 2003, 08:04 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Well I arranged to buy a car from a chap on here, arranged viewing, offered to send a large amount of money for a deposit three times, each time it was refused with "I trust you".... I paid for HPI to run a check... and two days later the guy pulls out - "I cant afford to sell it" he decided. Fair enough I guess, I cant MAKE him sell me it.

He offered to pay me the cost of the HPI check, all of about £37, and I accepted his offer.

That was about 6 weeks ago, no sign.

Ive got his phone numbers and address etc, but so what? Who's going to chase someone from 250 miles away for £37? If he hasnt got the personal honour and integrity after offering to refund me to actually DO it, then he is the one with the problem.

So if you are reading this Met, where's my cheque?
Old 03 April 2003, 07:30 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Sorry, been a bit busy.

I do have the persons phone number and address and I was not relying on post counts for an honesty rating - this person is/was an upstanding member*** of the scooby community.

At the time I sold the gear, I was flush and wasn't too worried about when the money would come. I was thinking, he seems a decent sort, I'll let him have a while. I have phoned and texted regularly (and I did receive a reply yesterday, polite, apologetic and they'll sort something soon - typical response so far).

Things are different now, I'm a permie and money is an issue again.

I've reconsidered the name and shame thing - it was a heat of the moment sentence, which I regret, but it does go to show that however much you think you know the person, they can still let you down.

If Simon DB (It's not Simon and nothing to do with him!) bought some stuff off you and was going to pay you on payday in a month, how many of you longstanding board members would not be patient if asked to wait a little longer? honestly?

Old 03 April 2003, 07:36 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ah, well, I wouldn't sell anything to SDB. We all know how untrustworthy he is.
Old 03 April 2003, 08:30 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Red face

MarkO in shock **common sense post** alert

(not the last one BTW )

Quick Reply: who else is owed money by someone else on this bbs?