Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

16, yes 16 new speed cameras in Humberside!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2003, 02:21 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Paul, i knew of 3 people that were killed on that road, and i know of 1 other, they were all locals, and suffered at the consequences of holiday makers.

A dual carriageway, would be wise. The HOSM bit you refer to, is not the "fastest" bit, (its not 5 miles, about 3 infact), due to the rough road. It is later on that you get the fast areas.

What people do not realise is that area is a major farming area, and as such a lot of agricultural traffic hits the road. I shudder to think the number of times i have indicated to turn right in my dads tractor, which will do 30mph flat out with 15ton at the back, to be at the point of turning right, and on the last glance before turning, there is some braindead impatient sod, that has come form 6 or more cars back, overtaking everyone, and me.

Imagine what a mess that would leave. 5ton tractor, 15ton trailer(loaded), stationery (ie t bone), versus 1ton car

Every summer i get an education in driving, thanks to holiday makers not knowing the roads they are driving on

I have even had people play "chicken" with me on the stretch you refer to. I have been in the tractor, with absolutely nowhere to go, but some idiot thinks he will be ok overtaking before he gets to the tractor.

Why??

Oh why??

[Edited by P20SPD - 4/2/2003 2:23:16 PM]
Old 01 April 2003, 09:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

I kid you not! Tonite's paper: 16 more mobile speed cameras bought with a government grant which was for road safety improvements.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] They intend putting the Tax generated by said cameras towards more road safety improvements..............you guessed it: MORE FEKKIN CAMERAS!!!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
B*st*rds[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Alcazar
Old 01 April 2003, 09:45 PM
ChrisB

Count yourself lucky - I have that many on my route to work alone and that's less than 8 miles!
Old 01 April 2003, 09:47 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Yeah but everybody knows speed kills
Old 01 April 2003, 11:02 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Wink

only if you then try to drink 16 pints, and talk **** to strangers all night!
Old 02 April 2003, 08:15 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
If its the same thing I saw a few weeks ago, they are going to be put in the back of marked vans and park them on the A614 Brid road and that other road which I can't remember the name of which goes to Malton.

They have a gun set up outside Hygena quite often as they get loads of people leaving the 30 limit a tad too fast in Howden.
Old 02 April 2003, 08:20 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Qwerty, alot of people get caught at Howden where you say. The A614 is a hell of a road, and i know i occassionaly speed down there. Although laterly i dont, due to hidden areas.

It is a very fast road, and for people that do not know it, it is often very dangerous. It gets worse as the weather gets better, ie holiday traffic
Old 02 April 2003, 08:40 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

There was a list of roads they're going to target in and around Scunny.

Has anyone else noticed how strange it is that accident blackspots SO often occur JUST where a camera can be hidden???
Alcazar
Old 02 April 2003, 12:44 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Count yourself lucky - I have that many on my route to work alone and that's less than 8 miles!
Is tht the Stone road by any chance. Staffs Police/Council should be shot for that stretch of road, you spend more time looking out for cameras and at your speedo than you spend looking at the road itself. Something like 26 cameras in 10 miles isn't it?
Old 02 April 2003, 01:07 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Qwerty, alot of people get caught at Howden where you say. The A614 is a hell of a road, and i know i occassionaly speed down there. Although laterly i dont, due to hidden areas.
Its a stunning road if you know it, and know where to slow down. Just outside HOSM, there is that very long (5 miles?) straight, which everyman and his son use as an overtake facility. This is especially the case on a Sunday morning eastbound, and Sunday evening westbound. Problem is, that road is littered with junctions from small unclassified roads. Its not unknown for a person to turn left onto the main road, not seeing the 20-30 cars all coming the other way on the wrong side of the road in "I must get passed" mode, probably doing 70-80mph.

I did some of my IAM training on it, albeit on my bike. Real eye opener when somebody points out all the pit falls of using that "nice bit of straight road" to overtake

Of course been the main drag to the east coast, Saturday and Sunday's are a nightmare. Stuck behind a bus or caravan, or the "I will do 40mph EVERYWHERE" bunch, the queues that build up behind such vehicles are ridiculous.

People get frustrated, and then start taking risks to get past. Im sure they could reduce the amount of frustration, and thus accidents by putting in a few more bits of duel carridge way, that would allow those who want to make progress a safe chance to overtake. Maybe thats just a bit too much "out of box" thinking. Far easier to stick a camera or two up Have to question if a camera will catch the people doing the dangerous overtakes though? So it probably won't achieve anything.

I've still got my other favorite bit of road anyway And I've taken to the sky to get my *buzz* these days

Old 03 April 2003, 07:08 AM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Steven, you talking to me?

Not THAT sort of *buzz* - Qwerty would need a hercules transporter to get me off the ground

Old 03 April 2003, 08:11 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Sorry Paul, WTF did i think QWERTY was you, probably the mention of BUZZ.

LOL at Hercules

Dangerous road though.