Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Australian Car Rental ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2003, 05:26 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm off to Oz for a month at the end of April, and I'm trying to get a good deal on a car rental for when I'm in the Whitsundays (Airlie Beach).

Does any have any good contacts/websites for rentals, to be dropped off at Cairns airport.

ANy help appreciated. Looking to rent a mediunm sized car, with aircon.

Cheers,

- Jon
Old 23 March 2003, 07:52 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

I rented from Avis whilst there, prices are very reasonable (car has satnav). Admittedly, that package is for local Australians, but I booked thru the fone, so was able to bypass the restriction imposed by online booking. The car I had was a Holden Commodore (Oz version of the Omega, has 3.8 litre Buick engine), costs just over A$300 per week.
Old 24 March 2003, 09:33 AM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that. Does that mean it's better to book when I get there, rather than search for a good deal from my computer ?

I don't need the car as soon as I get there, so this would be an option.

- Jon
Old 24 March 2003, 09:41 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

We're off to Oz over April, I've arranged for a rental through Hertz via a mate of mine who lives there as we're driving one way from Sydney to Melbourne. Hertz/Avis seem to be the best value, I only went with Hertz as I wanted a Ford Falcon, I had a Commodore last time

Might have to have a quick blast up to Mt Panorama whilst we're there, I'm telling Mrs D she'll love the Blue Mountains
Old 24 March 2003, 09:53 AM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

I'm off there at the end of April, starting in Sydney and hoping to visit the Blue Mts. then flying up to the Whitsundays and driving to Cairns, stopping frequently along the way (or so I'm told!).

I was hoping to rent a decent car ('er indoors had us pegged with a Ford Laser .. read Mazda 323!) - Sounds like the Falcon is half decent choice, though I'd also looked at a 4x4!

- Jon
Old 24 March 2003, 10:54 AM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Wink

Scoob_dood,

I hired a car from Airlie Beach to drive down the coast and leave it at Brisbane. Sorry, can't remember what the hire company or price was but it I believe it was cheaper than Avis. The only problem is that it was a franchise which meant that the chances of paying a relocation fee was higher, and in fact we had to pay one.

Therefore, going with a bigger company means that, although maybe a litle bit more expensive, you will probably not have to pay this charge.

Advisable to take out the extra insurance cover too, so you don't get seriously stung with the excess charge if you hit a Roo !

Probably equates to about £7 a day - well worth it for piece of mind, especially when you see how many there are lying dead by the road !!

Luckily I only had a guinea pig run out in front of me - still cacked myself though !

Old 24 March 2003, 11:15 AM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Yeah I came to the same kind of conclusions, at the moment I'm looking at:

Ford Falcon (Grp. D) @ £22/day + £50 one off to reduce insurance excess to 300AUS$ total cost of just over £200 for a week's rental.

Cheers for the info

- Jon