Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fat people on planes

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2003, 06:29 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was on a flight to Heathrow today and was sat next to a massive fat bloke. I was in the aisle seat, he was in the middle and his mate by the window.

I would say he took up a third of my seat with his lard. Whilst i am not angry with him about it, does anyone know if airlines have a policy for big people on planes ? On my flight it was full so there was no chance of me going somewhere else and giving him more space.

Dave
Old 21 March 2003, 06:54 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

I remember reading a case about this recently.

If I remember correctly, a woman in this country has successfully sued an airline she travelled with. She was seated next to a passenger so large that they overspilled their seat and spent the entire journey pressed against the woman. As a result the woman suffered blood clots and bruising! She had asked to be moved to a different seat, but her flight was full too.

I don't know if many airlines have a policy yet, but as this sort of action becomes more common, they soon will have, I would suspect.
Old 21 March 2003, 06:58 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I suppose its a tough one really. They cant expect you to ring up and say "hello i am a big fat person and need 2 seats, can i pay double please" can they !!

Dave
Old 21 March 2003, 07:03 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

I often wondered about this, whilst it has never happened to me, i have seen people in the airport and thought to myself "how the hell do they fit in one of those seats?"

If the airlines do bring in some sort of fat person policy, wont this be classed as discrimination?
Old 21 March 2003, 07:03 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

i know of people that are, emm large, and have had to pay for 2 seats. everyones worst nightmare - long haul flight wedged against the person beside you
Old 21 March 2003, 07:32 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Wedged against them is bad but having them overhanging you and resting on you is worse!

Having said that, the proportions of some airline seats are ridiculous. I know a few people with broad shoulders who have had problems with some airlines, and they can't exactly do anything about their shoulders.
Old 21 March 2003, 07:41 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
This thread is OK ATM (just) but lets please keep it that way

Interesting thread & potential for GOOD discussion

Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 21 March 2003, 07:50 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

I'm 6ft 7" and 24 stone and pay my airfare the same as the next man, I'm sure he was just as uncomfortable as you were.

What p1sses me off is that they give away the emergency exit seats to any **** that wants a bit of extra leg room instead of holding them back for 'units' like me.

I always book the exit seats in advance now, ususally about £40 return extra.
Old 21 March 2003, 08:03 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Puff, glad you agree

It is well recognised that obesity is a growing problem in this country, so this type of situation is likely to become more and more of an issue.

IMO it's tricky, and balancing the needs and expectations of everyone is going to take some doing. It will come as no surprise to anyone to hear that I would never condone discrimination based on a person's size, but having said that, I do hate being squashed on public transport by people who just don't fit in standard sized seats.

I can see a strong argument for people who need more space having to pay a higher price, but I can also imagine a whole host of problems associated with it. Some people will claim, (rightly or wrongly), that their size isn't down to them, it's a medical condition and they should not be subject to the same financial penalty as someone who is overweight as a result of an undisciplined lifestyle. Frankly it sounds like a nightmare to sort out. There would be law suits based on the emotional trauma and goodness knows what else.

Still, having read that back to myself, I've obviously thought about it way too much, so I'm going to go and do something less serious.
Old 21 March 2003, 08:07 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

this happened a couple of months back.

My GF's dad had a Jamaican friend that was terminally ill, and did not have long left to go. The lady in question was a lovely person, but she was also extremeley obese, i would say 35-40st, to put it niceley a "two seater".

She wanted to go and live out her remaining days in Jamaica, and booked her flight, but when she got to the airport she was refused entry onto the plane for health reasons as she looked very ill.

She booked another fight a week later, and somehow managed to get on the plane - not sure how, its not the sort of thing I would ask. She died about 2 hrs into the flight, and from what I have been told the pilot did not make an early landing or diversion.

This isn't really relevant to the thread other than her physical size, its very sad that she never made it home to die, but I can imagine the whole flight, and especially her husband who was sat with found it a terrible experience, other than the fact his wife had just died .

Like I say, no real relevance, but the topic reminded me.

Old 21 March 2003, 08:12 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Edited to remove 'unhelpful' comments

[Edited by Josh L - 3/24/2003 3:47:59 PM]
Old 21 March 2003, 08:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate flying, 6ft 1 and sixteen stone, it aint my middle thats the problem, my legs need an extra joint in for cattle class !
Old 21 March 2003, 08:27 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Slightly off-topic but what annoys me is i often struggle to get clothes to fit,most are too large.Shops have l,xl,xxl,xxxl but often no medium or small.Its not my fault i'm normal weight...
Old 21 March 2003, 08:28 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

mj - very sad story indeed. if she had of got on the 1st flight then chances are she would have made it

tk - "I can see a strong argument for people who need more space having to pay a higher price, but I can also imagine a whole host of problems associated with it. Some people will claim, (rightly or wrongly), that their size isn't down to them, it's a medical condition and they should not be subject to the same financial penalty as someone who is overweight as a result of an undisciplined lifestyle. Frankly it sounds like a nightmare to sort out. There would be law suits based on the emotional trauma and goodness knows what else.
"

i don't agree. in the end of the day they provide a service to move you ("a package" if you will) and your luggage. they base their costs on many things, including weight and fuel needed. hence extra costs for heavy luggage - i.e. they DO have the space but will charge more. now, if someone is sufficiently heavier than average (i.e. for the seat/weight for fuel...) then i think you should have to pay for 2 seats if you need them. just the same as sending a parcel, price based on weight not size. so if you are big/heavy enough to warrent the need for 2 seats then you should have to pay for it. (p.s. by "you" i don't mean you tk!! - you as in the reader )
Old 21 March 2003, 08:39 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

true,

there are plenty of people with medical conditions that cause obesity, but there are alot of "grossburgers" also.

how would airlines/travel companies distinguish between the two?

suppose its just one of those things that we have to live with.
Old 21 March 2003, 09:09 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

It is something that needs sorting as airline seats arent the most comfortable of environments at the best of times. Im only 6ft and 13st and I wouldnt call it comfortable then - hard to stretch legs etc.

I like the idea of using the emergency exits for "larger" people but I also like sitting there for extra legroom, as do most people. Plus they do stipulate that these seats are only for able bodied passengers in case of emergencies. Im not being cruel but a 20st + person is not able bodied IMHO.

Perhaps they can have some rows with larger seats but this will obviously eat into airline profits and they wont like that.

Can you imagine checking in, weighing your luggage then weighing yourself. Even then that doesnt work - a short person who is very obese could still be very wide but still only say 16st.

Simon.
Old 21 March 2003, 09:17 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Never fly Monarch airways
Came back from Lanza-Grotty on a Monarch flight and there were newspapers on all the seats. Mirror or Independent. So I selected the broadsheet publication. Much to my chagrin, the distance betwixt me and the seat in front was insufficient to read the Independent without having to fold it into an impossibly small piece, then unfold and refold when you got to the fold.
Old 21 March 2003, 09:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
TK, I remember that story, but as you say, the woman who was crushed really was crushed, and had suffered serious pain for months afterwards. It's not in the same league as irritation, discomfort and the inability to open your newspaper.

What puzzles me (a svelte 11-stone almost-6-footer ) is the new cheap airlines, that are apparently charging peanuts for a seat and then charge you extra per kilo for baggage, as well as food etc. My mate is 30kg more than me - why can't I take on 30kg of baggage? What would happen if I wore a massive coat with 30kg of baggage in the pockets?

Yeah, I know I should swallow it, but I couldn't handle the appointment with the customs officer with the Marigolds....
Old 21 March 2003, 09:42 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

P1Fanatic - err...I know plenty of people who are 20+ stone who would STRONGLY disagree that they are not able-bodied!!!

..and believe me, you would know about it - and they don't look fat!!!
Old 21 March 2003, 09:47 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Never fly Monarch airways
Never fly charter flights, full stop - yuk, full of undesirables

Did I mention fat people should be melted down?
Old 21 March 2003, 09:47 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I would also argue that airline seats in cattle class are even now too small for Mr Average - so why should *I* be penalised given the seats are too small as it is!!

I can see a backlash in years to come. I'm sure some people (certainly long-haul) would pay a permium to have FAR larger seats....even Mr Average.

Old 21 March 2003, 09:50 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

I'm sure some people (certainly long-haul) would pay a permium to have FAR larger seats
Hang on, didn't someone already think of that? Oh yes, it's called business class.....
Old 21 March 2003, 10:09 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

A few years ago.....

If you travelled on Finnair and you looked "large" (i.e. were VERY fat) then you were weighed at the check-in desk..... if you were over a certain weight then you paid extra......

What a brilliant idea.
Old 21 March 2003, 10:12 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Dave T-S

Doh! Of course......business/first class!!

Old 21 March 2003, 10:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

The really fat ones always get two seat cos they eat whoever is next to them !

Anyway, went skiing earlier this year and had to pay full price for three kids aged 3,5 and 7, surely they average out a few fatties, they only weight about seven stone between them (including a GBA each)

Old 21 March 2003, 10:51 PM
bigjohn
Scooby Regular

puff your being a bit zealous with the modding this thread was only 3 posts old on what i consider to be a genuine thread and you say its acceptable just!!!!!....easy tiger
Old 21 March 2003, 10:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

New airlines only for fat people,

British Pearways
Virgin Fatlantic
Aer Mungus
Air 2000 llbs
Pieberia
Porca Air
American
Not very Finnair
Eatgypt Air
SwissRoll
Tapas Air Portugal

My head hurts now, any more ?
Old 21 March 2003, 11:00 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc
pfffft dont fly anywhere, take the car, its far more fun

I also can confirm Goon is a big "unit", built like a brick privy more like :P
Old 21 March 2003, 11:04 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Lifthansa?
Old 21 March 2003, 11:51 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
BJohn

puff your being a bit zealous with the modding this thread was only 3 posts old on what i consider to be a genuine thread and you say its acceptable just!!!!!....easy tiger
Just doing my job & this has a potential to go bad so just laying the guidelines...

I want to keep GOOD discussion going - not interested in bad stuff - not in the community interests

Quick Reply: Fat people on planes