Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tax return via Govt Electronic Gateway - Any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2003, 08:55 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Just received a £100 penalty notice this morning for failing to submit my tax return for last year. Interesting, as I submitted it in November via the Govt Electronic Gateway (for the second year). I received a confimation notice etc and thought nothing more of it. I've appealed and returned the form as instructed.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Chris
Old 19 March 2003, 09:21 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

No,

Not had any issues at all.
I know they were having problems with the system around that time so maybe it got lost

I think you've done the only thing you can do, except maybe take a print out of your online PDF(did you save your form as a PDF) and mail it off to your local tax office.
Old 19 March 2003, 09:23 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Hi Neil

I had a feeling there was going to be problem this year, don't know why I always fill my tax return in using Tax Calc, so I have a copy of the submission if required. As I said before, used it the previous year, with no problems.

I've sent them details of the confirmation received from the gateway and the timestamp, so at least they can check their records.

Chris
Old 19 March 2003, 09:44 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Chris, have they issued you with a statement of account or calculation? It has happened before where they do the above but then say they have not had the return, yet to do the above they need the return, IYSWIM.

I would advise you pick up the phone as well as writing. Deal with someone specific.

If you need any help or advice, give me a shout.

Steven
Old 19 March 2003, 11:57 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Submitted mine by e-gateway thingy on the last day of Jan!!! No problems thus far (fingers and toes crossed!) - first time for four years!

Mak.

Old 19 March 2003, 12:44 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Did mine online

Only problem when I got my refund it didn't state who it was from and it took a week for the bank to identify that it was my tax refund

Phil
Old 19 March 2003, 04:11 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Steven

Thanks mate - I might take you up on that offer. So far, I've done exactly as they said: If you want to appeal, it must be done in writing within 30 days to the issuing tax office. I filled in the appeals form that is attached to the penalty notice and sent it back this morning.

If I haven't heard from them in a couple of days, I'll be on the phone.

All I've received so far is a 'Late Tax Return: Penalty Notice' - nothing else - no statement of account or calculation.

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 19 March 2003, 08:02 PM
TomWRX..
Scooby Regular

Just to add my 2p - agree with everything that has been said - when talking to them, always get a name - when sending items to them, always keep a copy.

Technical point - the penalty is the lower of £100 or tax due on 31 January - if you have no tax to pay even if your return is late, the penalty is nil. Unfortunately, the Revenue computer does not make this adjustment automatically so it is a case of putting it in writing. Even then, a lot of Revenue staff (including Collectors) are not aware of it but be persistent.

Happy to assist further if required (can you believe I actually do the above as a day job - it's only the scooby that keeps me sane!)

Tom
Old 19 March 2003, 09:27 PM
Huge
Scooby Regular

Wink

Completed my tax return on paper last July & received refund (£500++) within 4 weeks!!

Hugh
Old 20 March 2003, 10:25 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Shut up Hugh!

The thing is I knew I would end up owing money for last year because of the way our car allowances are done at work. I don't have a problem with that. The total I owe is around £800 - no problem because this can be collected via PAYE, as long as they received your tax return by the end of Nov (in electronic format only if I remember correctly). My concern is now that they have screwed up, they'll say it is too late to adjust the PAYE and I'm left with an £800 tax bil Not impressed.

Chris
Old 20 March 2003, 10:47 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Sent mine in (on paper) just before end of Jan cut off and received my rather large refund this week. Usually I do not get this back until June time if I remember, so I am chuffed.