Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gordon "The Thief" Brown

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2003, 07:28 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just been working out impact of Gordon "expletive deleted" Brown's NI rises from last year's budget that come into affect this year.

£60/Month for myself and Wife. Plus rise of £35/ Month in Council Tax (18%). So thats almost £100/month on just those. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

And thats without checking what the personal allowances are for next year. Doubtless frozen again. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Deano

Old 18 March 2003, 07:33 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Relax dude. Its only money..
Old 18 March 2003, 07:35 PM
Newbie123
Scooby Regular

Personal Allowances are frozen,

If you've got kids you might recover some of the extra NI by getting the Childrens Tax Credit but for single people like me it's a ba5tard !

Old 18 March 2003, 08:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Labour = Liars.
Sums it up lads.
Alcazar
Old 18 March 2003, 09:14 PM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

Happy to be paying Labours extra tax after all how else can we provide a top quality health service, keep crime under control etc....bring on more taxes I love 'em
Old 18 March 2003, 09:17 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

It's not like they're going to waste billions of our taxes on a stupid war or something. Oops, looks like they are
Old 18 March 2003, 09:19 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Relax dude. Its only money..
the rich kid speaks

Mate, when you have to earn money (if you ever do) you will understand how annoying this kind of tax is [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 18 March 2003, 10:14 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Just because I'm 19 years old doesn't mean that I don't understand life!! Besides, how else are we supposed to support this war?
Old 18 March 2003, 10:24 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Labour did promise increased public spending,unfortunately that means tax rises.Income tax and NI are seen as the fairest way.
Old 19 March 2003, 12:13 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i mentioned this stealth tax a week or so ago. i am 300 odd quid a year worse off now. i have no kids so i dont get that new tax credit crap either. the other things have to be paid for i suppose. still he is gonna make billions from it. feckin robbin ba$tards.

cheers

big sinky
Old 19 March 2003, 12:35 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

"fairest" way ? That is down to individual defintion.

There is a perfectly vlaid argument that those on higher incomes actually use less of the services the money is being used to proivde and therefore it can be rationally argued its is "unfair"

"No Income tax rises" was I believe the mantra. Which of course he hasnt - just frozen allowances and opened the way for large tax increases on income via sidestepping the UEL on NI.

The question of whether redistribution of wealth is the "most appropriate" (not "fair") is valid - its just annoys me *intensely* that "New" Labour dont have the honesty to stand up and admit it for what it is - If its so "fair" why the need for stealth, deceipt and hiding behind pedantic definitions of Income Tax and NI. - Oh yes - 'cos then the great unwashed might just understand that they are having the **** taken out of them ....

Deano

Old 19 March 2003, 12:48 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Labour promised more public spending???

Well, they arent just spending the publics money, they are throwing it away. They are no better then the thieves that break in and steal from peoples homes.
Old 19 March 2003, 10:16 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Labour is fighting a war for you! They are fighting for our honour and safety. We wanted this war so we must except the fact. Its only a couple of hundred quid rise a month. I for one support this government initiative..
Old 19 March 2003, 10:36 AM
ChrisB

Just because I'm 19 years old doesn't mean that I don't understand life!! Besides, how else are we supposed to support this war?
Make your mind up... you were 25 on 5ive-o.com earlier in the week...

Just for reference:

[Edited by ChrisB - 19/03/2003 10:45:13]
Old 19 March 2003, 10:55 AM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

only 300 quid? spare a thought for us nasty yuppie types. the removal of the NI cap cost me half a Subaru
Old 19 March 2003, 11:02 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Not to mention the failure to increase the 40% threshold by RPI !!!!

This has been the ULTIMATE in stealth, more people are now higher rate tax payers than ever before !!!!!!!!!

D
Old 19 March 2003, 11:06 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I was amazed the public accepted the outrageous introduction of the NI increase last year and how little was said at the time.

Labour in their election manifesto made the commitment not to increase income tax - this is exactly what they have done but dishonestly tried to hide it by calling it NI (oh, and removing the limit on that 1%, but it's still NI right?)

The great unwashed glibly accept that 'extra spending on education and health' is required. Right o - except that there's never any justification for the daft things they **** money away on which makes both of these areas open money pits. Public/private partnerships are being jumped on by the press but at least we can monitor their performance - where are the comparable accounts for the public sector?

And whilst I'm on my favourite subject (!), what about Council Tax? Ours has just gone up another 6% 'because it's been a difficult year and we have an ageing population'. great - so where's the accountability and how come I'm being penalised 'cos we have loads of old duffers moving into our area from elsewhere? Council tax should be collected centrally or, at the very least, it should be comparable across the country. Would be be so happy if we had to pay twice as much for our gas or electric as other areas of the country? no, of course not, so why accept the huges disparities in council tax? bring back the poll tax!!!!

Gordo
Old 19 March 2003, 11:25 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Old 19 March 2003, 03:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Katana, it is because you are 19/25 or whatever that you think you understand life but you dont really.

Gordo, the "old duffers " that you so rudely referred to paid their taxes, NI, and Rates, and Purchase Tax to support the elderly people when they were your age. You should print and save your post and read it when you become elderly yourself.

Les
Old 19 March 2003, 04:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Lots of things aren't "fair" regionally.
Why does everything have to be built in, or around London?
Why do I pay almost double what my mates pay for water rates just because I pay sewerage to one lot of robbing b*st*rds and supply to another?
You can't win, so chill out and keep paying:
Alcazar
Old 19 March 2003, 04:37 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well, they arent just spending the publics money, they are throwing it away. They are no better then the thieves that break in and steal from peoples homes.
Where i live they are building a new hospital,where do you expect the money to come from then.
Old 19 March 2003, 04:38 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Question

Just for my information, being ignorant.

Was there a mention of the council tax rise by the government in any way, shape or form before it actually happened ? What was the justification for such a hike ?

Old 19 March 2003, 06:09 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

War..
Old 20 March 2003, 12:26 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where i live they are building a new hospital,where do you expect the money to come from then.
The huge council tax rise (18%) in my area I reakon.

Katana,

Sorry mate, you don't understand life, neither do I, neither do any of us, we might nearly understand little bits, but not really.

paul
Old 20 March 2003, 01:07 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Hehe, I was just mucking about with you guys. At 25 years old, do you guys really think that I can comprehend what life is? Even if one is given several lifetimes, they still wouldnt be able to do it.

I just like joking around and sometimes wind up some of the posters here. The only time I'll be serious is during technical discussions.
Old 21 March 2003, 11:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You are dead right Katana-my mum is 93 and though she is the quickest and most accurate person I have ever known at assessing someone's true character, she still says that you never really learn all about Life

Les
Old 21 March 2003, 03:46 PM
Mr Gee
Scooby Regular

What we need here, is a good old fashion riot !!
Old 21 March 2003, 03:52 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

oh, and removing the limit on that 1%, but it's still NI right
Actually, what he said in the budget was "a 1% increase in NI across the board". It was only when I read the IR website afterwards that I realized he'd effectively removed the UEL, paving the way for 5% NI above UEL in the next budget.

Of course, as the director of a limited company this NI hike is twice as bad for me (1% on employee's NI, 1% on employer's NI )

PS: we got the thing through about increased child benefit next year (I think it's gone up 50p), which contained the ominous note: "From April, the Inland Revenue will be responsible for administration of child benefit". Now hands up who thinks we'll be better off once the IR are in charge?

[Edited by carl - 3/21/2003 3:53:38 PM]
Old 21 March 2003, 08:55 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

My wiew on this is we are supposed to be a rich country, but that dont add up. We pay Tax on Tax he has just given us a 1% NI hike and all the other bills have gone up. But Pay stops the same, He cannot give Firemen Nurses Police a rise and even short change's the Forces when they are fighting a war for the USA. So where is all the moey this RICH land has, I do not know. I have a good idea but I will keep that to my self so not to offend. Rich Country my ****.
Old 24 March 2003, 05:53 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Leslie, you misunderstood my point, let me clarify:

I have no problem at all with old people getting what they have paid for over the years. I do no see why this cost cannot be borne centrally, however. Our council tax has gone up inordinately because we are in an area where the old badgers choose to congregate.

Gordo

Quick Reply: Gordon "The Thief" Brown