Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cats been run over

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2003, 07:03 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Our little moggy, Brian, was run over last night.

He is at the vets but has dislocated his tail and they think he has damaged nerves around the top of the tail that control bowel and bladder use. I sincerely hope not.

We live in a very quiet area in a cul de sac with no big roads nearby so you would think that whoever hit him would have stopped. I certainly would.

Fingers crossed.

Dave
Old 16 March 2003, 07:06 PM
small beamer
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

sorry to hear about that :{
Old 16 March 2003, 07:11 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry to hear that

Like to meet the B****rd responsible
Old 16 March 2003, 07:21 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

lets hope the little one pulls through.

It's tough I know, I've had to scoop a few of mine up in the past.

at least he's fighting for it.

no ****** ever stops. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Andy
Old 16 March 2003, 07:25 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I would stop if I did it! Poor little beggar, hope he pulls through.
Old 16 March 2003, 07:32 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If you run a dog over is there a legal obligation to stop?
Old 16 March 2003, 07:35 PM
Huxley Chick
Scooby Regular

that's very sad

I know how it feels as the same thing happened to my cat last year. She too dislocated her tail & she couldn't wee by herself, they had to express her bladder for her.

They also said it looked like she had damaged the nerves (but it was a good sign that her back legs were OK). All we could do was wait to see if the nerves went back to normal. Obviously with the trauma there was swelling etc so it was a waiting game

It took a week, but she finally managed to go for a wee by herself it was a huge relief as I'm sure you can imagine. She then went back a few weeks later to have her tail removed (we now call her stumpy!).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you but they are tough little things but I know how horrible it is to just wait without being able to do anything to help.

Feel free to email me if you want any info

HC

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2003, 08:17 PM
wrxstiman
Scooby Regular

Legally obliged for a dog but not a cat.

my sister has a cat that had the same injury. shes a vet so fixed it and now it is as happy as larry.

the tail drags around behind it and is of no use but still has 100% quality of life

hope yours enjoys the same
Old 16 March 2003, 08:19 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Why only a dog,there's no dog licence anymore so why the difference?....
Old 16 March 2003, 08:23 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that druddle.

I would stop too, but unless cats are seriously injured they tend to get up and run off, so it's not always very easy to do anything. If the cat is gone before the driver gets a chance to see it, it's going to be very difficult to find out who owns it.
Old 16 March 2003, 08:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

AFAIK, only a legal obligation to stop if you hit an animal which has a license, so not cat, or dog, now.
Alcazar
Old 16 March 2003, 08:39 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

So sad

Maybe he ran off and they couldn't find him? Hope he gets better soon, we have 5 of the little trouble-makers (they were all homeless ), Ant's favourite trick is running behind hte Scooby whenever I reverse up the drive! Muppet. I think he likes hte sound of the Scoobysport

Hope all recovers well, let us know how he gets on
Old 16 March 2003, 10:18 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Thx for the messages. He cant really use his back legs, but when we saw him earlier he was purring a bit.

Fingers crossed..
Old 16 March 2003, 10:33 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear about it......

We have 2 cats, and also love in a quiet cul-de-sac.... so dread it happenning to ours.....

BUT to all the people who say to$$ers should have stopped.... etc...

I ran over a cat many years ago.... the story is:
Was driving near my parents house, alongside a field, with hedge, only doing 30(ish), 40 limit....
Suddenly a cat darts out from the hedge, literally 5 feet in front of me, I saw it and slammed on the brakes, swerved a little, but "felt" both wheels run over the cat.......
I felt really bad (always had animals around the house) and actually spent 20 minutes (at least) trying to find the cat, trudging through the field, and looking in peoples gardens.....
No sign at all.
I never did find out what happenned, hope it was OK, but I spoke to a local vet and he said that sometimes an injured animal will crawl away to die (if injured seriously enough) that made me feel like ****........
Still think about that cat when I pass the spot where it happenned.

So before you hang the person responsible think how they may feel, and that they might have tried to find the cat......
Old 17 March 2003, 08:35 AM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

how sad .... do hope your cat is ok ...

as for not stopping.....

many years ago i hit a cat and i stopped, picked the poor little mite up and took it to its owners (it had a coller on luckily)... their first reaction was to go absolutly balistic at me ... like i ment to hit their cat and believe me i couldnt of felt any worse then i did at that moment and really didnt need that! anyway... after about 5 mins of them ranting at me, and me saying insted of you shouting at me why dont you take your cat to the vets??... they finaly said thankyou for me actually having stopped and helping their pet!

never heard what happened to it, though i did leave my phone number with them
Old 17 March 2003, 10:07 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I've given up on cats!!!! I've had four, and NONE of them got past about 8 months old!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Two were run over and killed down our quiet, 3 cars a day cul-de-sac.:
The other two just disappeared, but there was a spate of cat thefts at the time, for their fur, I believe
Alcazar
Old 17 March 2003, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Really sorry to hear about your poor cat. We had a similar problem about 11 years ago. Our evil little black cat was very badly hit by a car-not only did he have the rear end injuries like yours but also a bad clout on the head which produced water on the brain. The vet did an outstanding job on him and he recovered fully. Just lost feeling in his tail. He is still going strong at the age of 16 years, being just as evil and there is not a mouse in sight around here!

I think that the fact your cat was purring is a good sign and I hope he recovers as well as ours did.

Les
Old 17 March 2003, 12:06 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

We had this experience some years ago. The vet was very keen to put him down once it was found he couldn't control his bladder. My wife has always held the opinion we should have waited longer before giving in. Certainly didn't give it a week

G
Old 17 March 2003, 12:26 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hope everything is OK. I'm glad the animal hating sickos have not started posting on this thread.

Steve
Old 17 March 2003, 12:39 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

commiserations druddle:sad:
I have 3 cats myself.

I found a dead cat lying beside a road near to where I have just moved 3 weeks ago, it had been placed by a bush. It was still warm when my wife & I checked it. My wife knocked on the house nearby & the guy said that someone had knocked it over & told him about it. We asked him to move it so as not to cause distress to others & also to inform the vet & get it checked for a chip, he did so straight away which was good of him.
Then, at least the owners know what happened (if it's chipped).

shunty
Old 17 March 2003, 12:50 PM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

We found our cat that had been missing for 2 years last weeknd !! He was across the other side of town and we stumbled across him wandering the streets. It was a 1 in a million chance meeting.

Hope Brian gets well soon.

Gordo
Old 17 March 2003, 01:16 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

So sorry to hear this mate. Really upsets me as it brings back loads of memories.

When I moved from my flat to a house, we insisted on buying a house away from the main road as we had two cats. Arnold and Natch were two black fluffy cats that we'd had for ten years and really were part of the family. Arnold had always been a placid cat both excellent with dogs, children, etc

We moved about a mile from our flat and every morning we would have to make the journey to the flat to pick Arnold up again. This went on for a few weeks, until one morning he wasn't there.

I spent a few hours driving around checking all the roads, etc. Eventually we decided to phone the vets and see if any had been brought in. After phoning the RSPCA they told us they had a black cat that fitted his description. My wife heard him crying in the background and said yes that's him. What has happened? He'd been hit by a car and had both his back legs smashed!!

I drove there and was told immediately on arrival, that I needed to take him to my vets, as he was very bad and needed stabilizing. I told them he hadn't been to the vets for 7 years, so I didn't have one. I asked if they could operate on him (obviously I'd pay) and they informed me they couldn't "As I had a job" Strange I thought, so I paid my £120 (for what I don't know) jumped in the car and made my way over to the local private animal hospital. I NEVER give money to the RSPCA anymore after this incident. It would have been ok if I was on income support, or just got off a banana boat!!

I stood there in front the vet, while he examined him and was told it didn't look good. The vet said that he could try and repair both his legs, so in a few months we could (if all went well) decide which leg he would keep. Obviously a cat without back legs wouldn't have much quality of life. I thought there was a chance, so I decided to give it a go. The vets said it would cost around £250, so we left him to operate.

Around 4 hours later, he phoned to say that he'd done the best he could and would watch him for a few days.

He had a dislocated hips (both sides) a smashed knee joint and a smash leg bone. But he'd patched him up and he'd have to stay for observations. I visited him everyday (sometimes twice) and was shocked to find within a few days, he was purring and trying to move around. He had an external frame to support the leg bone that didn't exist anymore, but hopefully the bones would grow and maybe he'd have a bone again soon.

After a week they dis-charged him and presented us with a bill for £1250 (but should have charged £3000 plus) we didn't have insurance and was just before Christmas, so they let us off, so to speak.

When we got him home it was hard work. He wasn't really allowed out, and needed to rest. Not Arnold, every opportunity he was getting out the cat flap and going outside. It broke my heart to see him get his frame caught in the cat flap, but he didn't give up!!!

After a couple of months, the frame was removed and shockingly the bone had grown again!!! There was serious tendon damage and he didn’t have any feelings in his legs, but he was walking again.

The moral of the story is don’t give up hope just yet. It’s amazing what they can do

This all happened 4 ½ years ago, and unfortunately due to other illnesses and arthritis Arnold was put down on Saturday I held him in my arms, while his breathing got shallower and then stopped. Still can’t believe it even now. My four daughters are devastated, but if you read another thread in this section have just got a Staffy puppy last weekend, but he’ll never replace Arnold.

As I said I’m really sorry to hear about your cat!

Cheers Phill C

PS Forgot to mention the feelings in hid toes did return although it was never as before the accident.

[Edited by babber - 3/17/2003 2:55:38 PM]
Old 17 March 2003, 01:51 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

One of ours was run over at our old house on a quiet road. A few years later we moved to a busy road. The vet said they are less likely to get run over on a busy road as they avoid it like the plague. The other got run over a few years back dislocated hip but made a full recovery.

You sure do get attached to the little buggers though... and unless you have pets you can't understand it. Hope all goes ok.

Dave
Old 17 March 2003, 02:14 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes your correct, unless you have got pets that you love you wouldn't understand.

Lets hope no-one comes on here taking the ****!!!

Cheers Phill
Old 17 March 2003, 02:30 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
poor thing - hope he recovers as do you from the financial shock!
Was wondering whether to let ours go out now we have a house as opposed to a flat but she's so dim we'd probably lose her
Old 17 March 2003, 02:53 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Bugger Dave Really sorry to hear that. I'm a dog man myself, but having met Brian I'll keep my fingers crossed mate - chin up, tough little things cats!
Old 17 March 2003, 02:58 PM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

I've had two cats die from the cat version of HIV, it was the hardest thing seeing them put to sleep, you get so attached to pets they are like children in many ways

Anyone buying a cat should be aware of feline aids, we weren't, never even heard of it but like human version it's terminal
Old 17 March 2003, 03:53 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Dave

I hope he pulls through. My Nans kitten had to be put down the other week and it's never easy Her old cat died last year and then this It's really sad because they seem so defenceless.

Best wishes
Paul
Old 17 March 2003, 04:00 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

We live in a supposedly quiet road, but you get people hooning down it at like 50.

When i'm out washing my car etc i often see the cats from the houses near me casually sitting in the middle of the road. Off i go to shoo them off (for a bit at least)...

I reckon with properly busy roads if the cat wants to cross it, it'll make a dash. If it gets hit its bad luck. With quiet roads i spose they get complacent..

Accidents happen, i've had cats dart out infront of me before (avoided them luckily), but I hate the thought of people that would hit them on purpose - in the above sitting in road scenario. It only takes a few secs to stop and wait for them to move.

Andy
Old 23 March 2003, 10:04 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

BTTT cos my lovely British Blue Harry got run over yesterday. He went out when I did and didn't come back last night. Did the usual, calling him around the streets, but no sign. Dave went to the bottom of the garden this afternoon and the lady who lives in the house behind us told him what had happened.

First thoughts were that he was dead. But no, he was hit on his rear and she said he had broken his pelvis. She had all the details, so Dave went round and got them. I was too distraught! Apparently a lady down her street had called the RSPCA and they'd taken him to the local vets.

I spoke to the vet and he hadn't broken his pelvis, but badly broken one of his rear legs. It's a bad break and she said it would cost ALOT to get it back to working order. I haven't seen him yet, got to go tomorrow morning and "identify" him. The vet said he is not moving much and she has put him on really strong painkillers - they haven't even x-rayed him yet, but she could tell it was a bad break.

Luckily I have insurance. If I didn't, there would be no way I could afford it. Will find out more tomorrow, but I really hope he's OK. He's only about 8 months old! Doesn't look good does it? We live in a small cul-de-sac and I never thought this would happen! Very sad

Edited to add that the driver didn't stop, but then again, they don't have to do they? Just lucky a lady saw it happen and she did the right thing.

[Edited by Clarebabes - 3/23/2003 10:06:33 PM]

Quick Reply: Cats been run over