Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Firemen. Again.

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2003, 10:50 PM
P130J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

This probably isn’t the place but I’m just p*ssed off…..

Once again the Fireshirkers are off out on strike. I will not comment on the rights and wrongs of their claim; that’s been round the houses ten thousand times.

I would just like to register my disgust, as a serviceman, at their action. Many of them are ex-servicemen and may well remember overwork and undermanning from their time in the Forces. Those that haven’t spent the last two months standing round braziers may have noticed that pretty much half the British Army is sitting in Kuwait waiting to go and get gassed.

I was therefore delighted today to see that once again my squadron is having to provide personnel to cover for the fireshirkers on their "day off". Crew members, ops support staff and engineering staff are once again getting dragged off their undermanned jobs to go and spend the day watching Kilroy and working out in some fire station instead.

I won’t for a moment claim to be suffering the same privations as the boys at the front line but I can say that the RAF’s air transport fleet is working it’s collective butt off. Our crews are flying very long hours, our techys and lineys are working round the clock to keep our aircraft flying and our ops staff are working themselves into an early grave trying to keep our tasking schedules working. We can’t afford to spare personnel but once again we are having to provide the people to cover for the fireshirkers.

Well, go on strike. The Government won’t budge. The public generally don’t care. The military will keep covering for you despite being in the middle of one of the biggest and rapidest military deployments in decades. It just sickens me that they should have to.

This post has nothing to do with the role of the government. It has nothing to do with the rights and wrongs of the Iraq crisis. It has nothing to do with the FBU – I would expect nothing less from them anyway.

It has everything to do with individual firemen.

Those of you that agreed to this strike, at this time, can go no lower in my estimation.

PS. the only good thing for the servicemen going on Op Fresco to cover for you lot is that they do get some well earned time off whilst doing it…….
Old 13 March 2003, 10:53 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Well said M8.

[Edited by Wurzel - 3/13/2003 10:53:47 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 10:57 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Traitors all.. (IMO)[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

as you rightly say, they are now beneath contempt. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by unclebuck - 3/13/2003 11:02:16 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 11:17 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Angry

I agree.

[Edited by JohnMcC - 3/13/2003 11:17:58 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 11:20 PM
andy oakes
Scooby Regular

Hi everybody thats me on the right,***, cup of tea, and a good chat just after cutting two casualties from a car on the A2070!!
Sorry peeps but we do a good job..

Regards
Andy
Old 13 March 2003, 11:22 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Totally agree. They knew the pay when they joined up, and its a damn site better than most people in the forces. Top that off with the easy working hours. No 4/6/9 months away from home without leave for them.

Gilchrist wouldnt know a days work if it hit him in the face. He's in it for himself not the firemans cause. Lets check his paypaket shall we. Bey he's not on 21k.

Respect and sympathy to all those people covering without overtime on half the pay of the firefighters. Is someone telling their wifes and kids why they arent getting time off. No chance of a part time job when your in a real job.

We are about to go to war and these buggers think of only themselves. Reservists are getting called up and most will take a big paycut with not idea how long it will last.

Jonathan

Who if you hadnt guesed is ex Forces as well.

[Edited by Chins - 3/13/2003 11:25:22 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 11:23 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

andy - time to stop posing, and examine yer concience buddy

Trending Topics

Old 13 March 2003, 11:28 PM
P130J
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Andy - congrats on doing your job.

Will you be popping by next week to congratulate the servicemen doing their job and your job?
Thought not.

Anyway, read my post.
It's not about how dangerous or important your job is.
Old 13 March 2003, 11:31 PM
andy oakes
Scooby Regular

Unclebuck,
Its okay mate been flamed loads of times,but it doesnt really bother me to much as its my second job you know "retained"!!
I only cover 12 hours a day 7 days a week!
So my concience is very clear and Im very proud of what I do...
Chin up matey!
Old 13 March 2003, 11:31 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

thats me on the right,***, cup of tea,
looks like a nice 'job' to me - what do you do on your 4 days a week off?
Old 13 March 2003, 11:35 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

So you should be proud of what you do when your working! Its an important role.

But when you are striking you are lower in most people's POV than tossers who can't be arsed to get a job and just stay on the dole. Holding the country to ransom is just plain wrong. (not that it works cos the army are top lads!!!! They deserve the payrise!)

<this is to firemen in general not just you> I assume you do the job because you like it, else you'd do something else with the pay expectations which you seem to have.

Andy
Old 13 March 2003, 11:36 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Wink

"retained"!!
well, that's a *different* subject, as you well know.
Old 13 March 2003, 11:36 PM
andy oakes
Scooby Regular

unclebuck
try reading the post again, it says retained,Oh, I also run my own company...
Old 13 March 2003, 11:41 PM
G.W.Bush
Scooby Regular

...sounds like you support the strike ,nowhere did i read "i know mate i wish they would get there heads from up there *****"
which is more than outweighed by going on strike at this time,shame on you ,shame!! Stand up to Andy Gilchrist as he is nothing but a ***** ******* and will disgrace you all IF you follow him.

[Edited by G.W.Bush - 3/13/2003 11:45:26 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 11:48 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi everybody thats me on the right,***, cup of tea, and a good chat just after cutting two casualties from a car on the A2070!!
Nope... can't see a "retained" there...

So, you run your own company, eh? what's that then? A male model agency??
Old 14 March 2003, 12:36 AM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Sigh, the scoobynet attitude strikes again...
Old 14 March 2003, 06:38 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Its not just the Scoobynet attitude, I think you'll find it a pretty fair assesment of public attitude.

Jonathan
Old 14 March 2003, 07:22 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

Andy I'm on your side.....as for firemen being traitors - just because someone has made the decision to fight a war doesn't mean that everyone has to suddenly subjugate themseleves or their needs to accomodate it. Not everyone wants the war.

This isn't WW2 where we all have to stick together its the most developed nations in the world planning to bomb the **** out of a 3rd world country for oil. Just my opinion but I am entitled to it just as the hawks are entitled to theirs. If it was a fight to retain that freedom then I would be there with the best of them fighting for it. Unfortunately it isn't about that.

To link the firemans dispute to it is just pathetic. You talk about the armed forces being overstretched could that be another example of Labour mis-management- make up your own mind- I and many other people have.

Old 14 March 2003, 07:25 AM
Luke
BANNED

Bur to be serious... This would never have happend ,,If you had not asked for soooooo much and "Mad Andy" had not ben your leader. The public hate him not you..
Old 14 March 2003, 07:41 AM
andy oakes
Scooby Regular

Red face

Luke LOL
Old 14 March 2003, 08:23 AM
P130J
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Scooby-new - well done for missing the point

The military have always been undermanned and overworked. Perhaps it's tradition.

Nobody has suggested that the enemy are at the gates and we should all hand in our saucepans to help build Spitfires. The rights and wrongs of the "war" also have nothing to do with what I am saying.

What I am saying is that I am disappointed that the individual firemen would sanction going on strike when those that are having to cover for them are working at a very high tempo to prepare for a possible huge military operation. The military isn't here to debate the rights and wrongs of the orders of the Government of the day but to get on with it (and no this isn't a "I was only following orders" type of get out clause).

Read the post again. I am not linking the war to the rights and wrongs of the firemen's strike. I am saying that firemen appear to be happy to go on strike again knowing how hard those that have to replace them are already working.
This goes beyond politics.
The fact that you're blithering on about "war for oil" shows that you perhaps cannot see that.

[Edited by P130J - 3/14/2003 8:24:29 AM]
Old 14 March 2003, 08:39 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

No you clearly link the 2 and mention them as if inter-related. The fact that there is a potential war is irrelevant.
As for my views on the reason for war I didn't belittle your biased and frankly typically short sighted viewpoint by saying "you're blithering on about "war for oil" . Frankly if you don't like other peoples opinions you should at least respect them.
Using terms like "fireshirkers" demonstrates the amount of contempt you have for these people and your own petulant nature. Grow up and be a man , stop name calling and get on with your job instead of whingeing on this BBS.
As for the armed forces being perenially understaffed I agree and what have labour done to resolve that- **** all. A clear failure.
The only people who are low in my estimation are those that can't see we are all being shafted by the "system" and that we need to stick together to fight it.
I don't agree with your point of view- you don't agree with mine fair enough.
Old 14 March 2003, 08:45 AM
andy oakes
Scooby Regular

Wink

What an educated reply..
Old 14 March 2003, 08:57 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

I think Tony Blair should turn the armed forces on the next anti-war march and wipe out the tree hugging b@st@rds then he could get on and raise taxes for everyone and ensure that it all goes to improve his palaces. He could then invade France and wipe out the froggie fcukwits then storm onto Germany and create a single Eruopean currency (the EuroPound - E£). Once he's done that he can get his 2nd (or 18th) UN resolution, Nuke Russia & North Korea, and sign up as the newest member of the Arab League of Nations.

That should solve everything.

OK - Forgot - Should make Andy Gilchrist a Lord - give him E£4,000,000 then he'll get the firefighters to accept E£4.78 PA pay rise linked to cost savings of 28% PA for the next 78 years.
Old 14 March 2003, 09:46 AM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

yawn yawn

firemen get back to work or ship out, there's plenty out there who want to be firemen

I'm totally bored at the moment with what's in the news

The war is gonna happen and all this debate is only happening because the hardware wasn't in place to do it early so might as well blag the UN route to keep the tree huggers happy

As for firemen going on strike makes jack difference you aint getting a rise just be thankful you've got a job
Old 14 March 2003, 10:03 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

If I recall correctly the Firefighters & the Employers reached a reasonable settlement way back in November, which was then vetoed by fatty two-jags as his master didn't want to be seen as 'giving in' to the unions, co-incidentally his party's paymasters.

The reasons given by the Mouth of the Humber were that modernisation was not incorporated into the agreement.

Well excuse me for asking but does the country really want a 'modernised' fire service. We all ready have a modernised health service, ambulance service, police force & education system. I for one do not want to be put on a waiting list whilst my houseis burning down, or I'm trapped in a burning wreck.

Scooby-new I think you will find it is not 'most of the developed nations' trying to start a war, it is the oil-baron funded U.S president & his lap-dog that want the war, the rest of the developed world are trying there best to stop it. If Rumsfeld thinks the US are capable of doing it on their own, why cant Princess Tone let them. At least if our troops are not involved, they are marginally less likely to be blown away by drugged addled American pilots
Old 14 March 2003, 10:09 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Angry

Carpet Cleaner, if the war happens without UN approval it makes the US, and by association the British, war criminals under international law.
Unfortunately no other government will have the strength of arms, or will, to bring George Bush & his cronies to book for their actions, it is the ordinary citizens who will suffer due to a marked increase in arab fundamentalist terror attacks, which so far MI5 & the CIA have proved powerless to predict, let alone stop[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 14 March 2003, 10:15 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Well, you all know my utter contempt for these prima-donna firemen.

They want to keep their 1947 working conditions, wake up smell the coffee and MODERNISE then you will get 16% over 3 years fair as fair can be!!

40 applicants per vacancy in the fireservice hardly points to an unrewarding career.

You knew the terms and pay - if now you want 40% WITHOUT doing ANYTHING different then go stand beside those in the GULF - they are doing YOUR job!! Lazy Gits!!

They will be hated by the public if they walk out when our chaps are fighting hand to hand battles in sand trenches FOR LESS MONEY!! They are lower than the low!!

I could go on - but won't!!!

Pete
Old 14 March 2003, 10:18 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pete, you know what happens when you sit on the fence? You get splinters in your **** Come on tell use how you really feel
Old 14 March 2003, 10:21 AM
CarpetCleaner
Scooby Regular

CrispDuk

I aint saying I agree with the war just that its been decided and no amount of talking by anyone is gonna make the slightest difference, it's gonna happen and my thoughts are I just want to us to get on with it and get it over a done with

If the US and British are welcomed with flag waving when they 'liberate' do you think this will change peoples minds

Quick Reply: Firemen. Again.