Old 13 March 2003, 09:00 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 13 March 2003, 09:27 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

Here in the US we have shows with police chase videos - it seems most of them are from the UK.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I should watch for Imprezas next time I see it...

Old 13 March 2003, 09:31 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

you must get our vids and we get yours, there's a whole digital channel dedicated to this stuff.
Old 13 March 2003, 09:33 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Biker they just showed got done 128mph, 3 month ban and £300, police man said speeding isn't dangerous, but if he'd have done an undertake or alike he'd have classed it dangerous and that would then be prison sentence! fair do's i thought you'd get year ban or so for 128
Old 13 March 2003, 09:53 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

Red face

A few days ago I saw a news item saying California would ban live television coverage of chases, to discourage people from trying to make themselves famous.

Once I was pulled in Dublin (Ohio) on the outerbelt, and the officer was angry that I did not stop immediately, but went to a nearby exit ramp to stop away from traffic. Two days later one of their cars was struck on the spot where he wanted me to stop.
Old 13 March 2003, 10:04 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

That copper that was hit by the HGV moving into the outside lane could have easily slowed down and avoided that collision, but tried to squeeze past, both of them were at fault for that imo.

And what the hell was a panda car doing getting involved in a high speed pursuit ??? he even undertook his own traffic police...

Then the two cops racing to catch up with the bike...

That programme made some traffic cops look like total ********, just because they have a badge does not give them a licence to drive like *****. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 13 March 2003, 10:05 PM
brandy76
Scooby Regular

Angry

I think the moral of the story was speed kills!!

Trending Topics

Old 13 March 2003, 10:06 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Did anyone else think that the copper who hit the side of the truck as it drifted into lane 3, was as much to blame as the truck driver. He was after all doing 121mph as he approached the truck and given that the driver already had his signal on, but had no traffic in front of him he should have anticipated that there was a potential for the vehicle to move into his lane.
I thought he was partly to blame, i.e excess speed contributed to the accident. He should have been much more careful, after all his training has already told him to expect the unexpected so perhaps he should have been a little more careful?
Old 13 March 2003, 10:08 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah, try to catch the BMW doing 100 mph on an "empty" motorway and crash in to a truck class!

Nothing on the road for miles and hits a truck, you could not make it up!

Word of advise, use you blues and twos mate. Never mind you can have a laugh about it, the tax payer will pay.
Old 13 March 2003, 10:09 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I agree.

Also did you see the two joining the motorway (the one where the guy span his car after a blowout) both crossed the hatch lines to get onto the motorway. Thought a solid line should be treated as a brick wall. The Police are subject to the same laws as the rest of us FFS.
Old 13 March 2003, 10:13 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
thought the biker got 2 months not 3. And i was a bit unimpressed by that plod hitting that truck. Ok the truck driver shouldnt have done what he did but thats no excuse. Obviously a person with a proper car going at that speed, ie a P1 with 6 pots would have stopped in plenty of time, not to mention anticipated what was going to happen

Most displeased with what seems to be boy racers in uniform with a licence to speed in 'family cars'. And i fail to see how hiding behind bushes and stopping the odd vehicle is a plus sign for the A616 (?). Wouldnt it be better to have a higher profile, to prevent these speeds in the first place?

How many police related road deaths last year, 40 something?

And that cop at the end saying that 3,500 deaths on our roads, thats a pity, but dwarfed by the number of deaths from smoking and alcohol abuse each MONTH in the UK. IMHO they are just as preventable.
Old 13 March 2003, 10:15 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Sharp as a bowling ball.

I really think they get such a buzz out of it, some of the training goes out the window.

"yeah lets do 130 on a motorway at 0830" whoooooooooo......and smash into the central reservation

Remember kids......speed kills
Old 13 March 2003, 10:18 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

3,500 deaths - the lowest in Europe, a pat on the back??

Nooooooo, they think they can get this down to zero!!! It will never happen, people have always died in cars.

FFS how many of those deaths are rozzers (thinking they are bodie and doyle) chasing cars with the blues and twos on.
Old 13 March 2003, 10:22 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

That lorry driver was quite funny fair enuff he had no right in the outside lane & sure we can all sit wisely infront of TV's but as soon as i saw that with a big lorry signalling right & slowly pulling into outside lane surely the brakes aren't that bad on a jam sarny? But since no1 was hurt & even thou it is us tax payes who foot the bill i kudnt help roaring with laughter
Biker was damn lucky when he says after i was well chuffed with result & then boasts wot his top speed actually was u'd never get that sort of fing on scoobynet
& christ that druggy freak in sheffield fair play they took him out & it needed doing but largely luck no1 got twatted when they were trying 2 box him in by driving alongside while he's pushing them into oncoming traffic
Anyway i'm now off 2 check out IAM & RoSPA since im feeling such an expert
Si
PS never mind USA & UK cop stylee sriving i still reckon SA has sum of the best footage any1 seen that 1 where they pull a shot gun out & passenger window & blow out the rear tyre of the fugitive & he crashes big style off the side of road now that is how it shud b dun
Old 13 March 2003, 10:24 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

The only copper on there that I liked was the one having a pop at **** driving in the middle lane.
Old 13 March 2003, 10:25 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Fatalities And Injuries On The Roads of Engaland & Wales 1996:

ROAD TYPE FATAL
Motorways 162
Dual carriageways 472
Rural 1667
Suburban/Residential 1059
TOTAL 3360

Motorways in the UK seems to me they are a complete death trap, we should walk everywhere!

Alcohol Concern highlights the rise in deaths from alcohol poisoning and liver cirrhosis, up from 3,853 in 1994 to 5,508 in 1999; the estimate of 33,000 deaths a year in England and Wales from all drink related causes including ill health, crashes and violence
http://www.cadd.org.uk/facts.htm

Deaths caused by smoking are six times higher than the 20,170 deaths arising from: road accidents (3,444); poisoning and overdose (2,663); other accidental deaths (8,986); murder and manslaughter (503); suicide (4,379); and HIV infection (195) in the UK during 1998.[7] World-wide, about 4 million die prematurely each year as a result of smoking. Based on current trends, this will rise to 10 million a year by 2030.[8]

TOTAL DEATHS from smoking in a year 121,800 uk

http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact02.html

Now we see where REAL NUMBERS of PREVENTABLE deaths in the UK are.

[Edited by scoobynutta555 - 3/13/2003 10:37:09 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 10:32 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Red face

What i can't understand is the copper who after pulling an HGV on the fifteen year old death trap road said "oi, you" to a biker flying by at 70mph+ and the guy stopped, within a hundred yards, and put his hands up Bit of creative editing to say the least :tut-tut:

Oh, and WHAT EXACTLY WAS WRONG with the number plate on the Ferrari?? Fecking jobsworth

What a pathetic program

mb
Old 13 March 2003, 10:39 PM
co55ie
Scooby Regular

Why wasnt the copper who crashed into the HGV arrested for reckless driving and then sent to jail. Thinking you have seen a car speeding miles up the motorway is no justification to be doing 120mph.
Old 13 March 2003, 10:40 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

..........and another thing.
The copper that ran into the side of the truck thought it was OK to do 121mph without Blues & Twos!!
I thought that they HAD to use Blues & Twos on an emergency shout. If they are not on an emergency shout then they are NOT allowed to travel in excess of the speed limit, so he should have been booked for 51mph over the speed limit and done for dangerous driving - IMHO.
I think some of the police 'example' driving on that program underlined that it really is one law for us and no law for them.
Old 13 March 2003, 10:58 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Angry

Why is the A616 a death trap road?

Bad layout and surface, rather than excess speed.

If the authorities were serious about cutting deaths on the road they would change the junction layouts and the three lane system rather than paying the thick blue line to patrol the road constantly.

IMHO

Steve
Old 13 March 2003, 11:08 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

Question

Is it just me or did that Ferrari look like an MR-2 based replica? I'm almost convinced it was, it looked too short at the back...

Chris
Old 13 March 2003, 11:10 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Didnt sound all that good did it, my brother thought the same
Old 14 March 2003, 12:54 AM
Cheetah.Turbo.
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ferarri Driver:'Give me a break, i've had a hard day'LOL.
Surely if the copper wouldn't have hid behind the hedges then he would have detered speeding motorists therefore reducing the death toll, and yet they dont target us for our money .
Old 14 March 2003, 01:05 AM
King RA
BANNED

I had my doubts about the Ferarri too. It even had F355 Pinafarina (or whatever) written on the back, but it just looked a little suspect.
Old 14 March 2003, 01:12 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
The programme was very bad police PR. They should be ashamed.

But I've posted in Non-Scooby Related (where this thread should be).

Richard.
Old 14 March 2003, 06:56 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

the lorry in lane 3 made me p1$$ myself, surley if a traffic police car is doing 120mph on the highway his sirens and blues should be going.
oki the lorry driver was in the wrong by going into lane 3 but IMO he couldnt see the cop car as the incident was on a sweeping left bend and if the driver checked his mirrors he wouldnt have seen the car which was moving @ least twice his speed.
The cop even anticipated the lorry was going to pull out but did nothing about stopping.
The whole thing could have been avoided if he had radioed ahead to get the BMW stopped by another cop car surely, he is just as bad chasing the BMW.

Wot really brought it home to me tho is the tyre blowing on the cop car, how lucky was he that it never rolled!!!!!

isnt it SPEED KILLS!!!! that is wot we're told, so summing that program up 75% of it had cop cars over 100mph

thumbs up to the cop who said about all that ***** that sit in the middle lane
Old 14 March 2003, 07:16 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

Some people who should know better said "speed kills"

Boll0cks-

"inappropriate speed kills" is the truth- speed in itself is not inherently dangerous.

That kind of attitude is exactly why the roads are so dangerous, idiots who think that because they are driving within the speed limit they are perfectly safe. Whereas someone like me who chooses to drive above the speed limit when it is safe to do so is somehow wrong.
Old 14 March 2003, 07:22 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Did the HGV inspecting 3rd lane copper not say he had his lights flashing, presumably the blue uns behind grill or sumin?
Which 2b fair 2 the lorry driver when u see it was a slight left hand bend the lorry driver kudnt of seen the copper even if he used his wing mirror thing (or wotever u call it on big thingies )
So him still in wrong as wrong lane & no right to be there & i do appreciate that trained coppers need 2 go fast at certain times but that hole incident still makes me laugh I bet he gets shyte ripped out of him still now n all.
So any1 no if he's now got busted down 2 being a cycle cop?
Si
Old 14 March 2003, 08:04 AM
Scooby Doh!
Scooby Regular

To be fair to the lorry driver, they were approaching a roundabout at the end of the motorway and he wasgoing to turn right - only problem was he moved into the right hand lane before the road narrowed from 3 to 2 lanes. Copper had his headlights flashing but that said, the lorry driver had his indicators on.