Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

traffic on M1 post congestion charge

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2003, 08:11 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Am i imagining things of has the flow of traffic VASTLY improved in the evening rush hour since the congestion scheme came into play?

For the few days ive been on day shift for the fist time in weeks (finish at around 6 pm) and have noticed a good flow northbound from junction 6 all the way up to 8, then a slight bottleneck then off again. I reckon im getting home (luton from watford) nearly 20 mins early compared to when i was last on days. Usually the traffic backs up a good 400 yards before the m25 merger. Could this be a knock on efferct of the congestion charge?

[Edited by scoobynutta555 - 3/13/2003 8:12:28 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 08:37 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

can't comment on the M1, but everyone I know that travels in and out of london has noticed a mojor improvement moving about the city.

from a contracting point of view, 3 lads sat in a van @ £20 per hour each for half an hour ( before LCC)- £30.

LCC - £5.

Bargain, Ken can put it up to a tenner if he likes
Old 13 March 2003, 10:56 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I manage a team of 6 electricians working in central and West london and we have all noticed that trafic inside the zone is better but round the edge is slightly worse the evening rush hour is busier in 6.30-8pm slot so traveling at this time is slower.

Down side we "know" that it will roll out and so people will eventually give up and drive because they will be inside the zone and can't go round it. Also we "know" that the road capacity on area's inside the zone and on trunk roads controled by TFL is due to be reduced by redesign of junctions more bus and cycle lanes and widening of empty pavements to accomadate all the car owners walking!

For Example they have approved plans to take one of two lanes away on the Chelsea embankment to install a cycle lane because it is not safe to have cyclists and pedestrians together but the other side of Albert bridge 10 metres further along where the road is only one lane wide they say IT IS safe for the pedestrians and cyclists to share the pavement?

Personaly i don't care the company pays all our congestion charges and it is just another cost for working in Central London like the £4 per hour parking we already pay.