locked before I could ask a question of TK

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2003, 02:01 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and its NOT inflammatory at all!

I typed (and pressed reply, but it didnt work ) :

Because I have been know to argue in the past, and could possibly be called argumentative, I can't say anything without it being an argument?
Thats the way it seems to work, especially with purely text messages. None of the feeling or lightheartedness or anything of that sort gets across, just the text which is open to be read and perceived as the reader sees fit.

If someone chose to read all your posts they may well come to that conclusion. Thats not what I happen to think, I quite like your freedom of expression. I DID put a in the post about arguing...

This is actually an interesting question - how many people have had a thread/post mis-interpreted by someone and a nasty row has erupted? I know Ive been guilty in the past of "scanning" a reply to something and misunderstanding the point being made...

Im sure Im not the only one.
Old 13 March 2003, 02:05 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

all the time at work.

actually this morning. I was e-mailing a bloke about somethink we discussed months ago, and I was asking questions out of jest, with ;P and at the end.

Next thing, I get an e-mail starting with -

"right - I told you you'd get abuse.. "

and the bloke started having a go!
FFS, do some people not know how to write e-mails? the spoken word is so full of expression, but since e-mail is so flat and emotinless, I still try to use emicons to express the context the e-mail / message was ment to be read with...

seems like it just goes over some people's head...

Old 13 March 2003, 02:08 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Talking

VERY valid point.

And something we should all be cautious about.

D
Old 13 March 2003, 02:08 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Exactly the sort of thing I was getting at. Phone texts to the wrong number can be "fun" too - my wife got one to her brand new phone talking about "Jack the Ripper" !

We were NOT amused, but when I rang the number and asked WTF is going on, it turned out they had a work colleague with a big black beard who they called "Peter Sutcliffe", and he had the same number all but the last digit as the mrs. They were very apologetic.
Old 13 March 2003, 02:23 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

At the risk of starting another flame war, (and if I do, I won't moan when the thread is locked), there are far too many people on here that will read a few posts someone has made, make a judgement about that person and use it to decide what that person means in all future posts, without bothering to read or try to understand what has actually been said. It's this sort of narrow-mindedness, and willingness to jump to conclusions that I have objected to on so many occasions. I think it's sad. I also think it's sad that so many people will say whatever they think will create the biggest row. At least anything controversial that I have said has been said because I believe it.

What goes unnoticed a lot of the time is that I do ignore many of the stupid comments made just to try and stir things up. The PMS comment in the FAO Diablo thread is an example. It's just not worth bothering with. Yet still, despite ignoring a lot of rubbish and rarely throwing insults around, it is me that is getting the bad press here. I think that's very telling, and more than a little amusing.

I have to admit though, I am also guilty of reacting to the posts of certain individuals based on my perception of them. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 people on Scoobynet whose personas I just don't like. I nearly always react in a negative way to these people. I am fully aware that I do it too.

[Edited by TurboKitty - 3/13/2003 2:24:17 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 02:28 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

>>Off the top of my head I can think of 3 people on Scoobynet whose personas I just don't like

That's the thing. It's a persona, not a person.

People will vary vastly from their on-line persona to their personality in real life. I think that writing in-front of a computer screen will have 2 effects on people:

1) They are still just as normal as any other day, but will tend to be a bit more outspoken (it's not like you're talking to someone's face, is it?)

2) They will play up to the max, knowing that other people will not react. You'll proablly find these people would not act the same if you met them face-to-face.

I think it's just down to the fact that it's just letters on a screen. People can express emotion on-line, but it's goint to be so converluted, mis-interperated and misquoted, it's hard to be serious about it.
Old 13 March 2003, 02:32 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buzz you nobber

what happened to the other username "Buzz"?

oh and stop wasting time posting cobblers on here.

Trending Topics

Old 13 March 2003, 02:33 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

exactly my point.

no context as to how to interperate the message just left.

So how would *you* take it?

Old 13 March 2003, 02:34 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I can't really comment on whether my SN persona is different to my real-life self. I don't think I'm that different on here, but I'd have to ask people that know me. Of course, there are aspects of my personality that don't get seen on here, that affect the overall real picture, so there are differences.

I am just as outspoken, aggressive, stroppy and short-tempered in real life, but I'd also say there are some positive aspects that are not generally seen by the majority of people on here.

Anyone that's met me want to comment on my SN persona vs. real-life me?
Old 13 March 2003, 02:36 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Im not giving anyone bad press I hope, its just you got me thinking a bit, thats all. Thats GOOD press surely?

But its a problem SN seems to have at the moment. Back in my first days I dont remember seeing all these personal wars and attacks. Maybe they did happen, but I dont remember them.
Im assuming its the same on other BBS but I think SN is probably one of the largest and therefore more succeptible.

I dont have a lot of time for those people you rightly say post whatever they think will annoy/upset/irritate the most people.

Some of them seem to go out of their way to spoil threads that an individual they "dont like" , but have never met/talked to/seen etc has had anything to do with, even just posting a reply is sometimes enough to start these people on their maniac crusades.

Its a sad and pathetic form of bullying I think. I cant physically bully these people so I'll verbally abuse them to my online mates and make myself feel better whilst having almost guaranteed anonymity.

There have been threads with people threatening physical harm to each other - correct me if Im wrong but isnt "threatenin behaviour" an offence in the eyes of the law??? - such as "I'll come to that event and kick sh*t out of you" etc etc..

Anyway, I'll expect the death threats now Ive agreed with TK

Old 13 March 2003, 02:37 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have met several people of SN who write witty replies, create funny threads, appear "life and sole of the party" etc.

In real life they are very dull and difficult to make conversation with.

ID - Thinks these people must wear comedy ties at work.
Old 13 March 2003, 02:39 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

LOL - he's one of my real offline mates, and he knows how I'll take that cos I know how he meant it

But none of you lot did, but I'll bet there are some people who thought " what a turnip, I dont like HIM" for posting abuse..

Whos going to rush to my defence and offer to kill him for me?
Old 13 March 2003, 02:40 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

I wasn't about in the old days, but I would presume it was more like people actually knowing other people more personally.

With scoobynet's 20000 odd users, you might get to know about 20-50 on-line people, how they act, speak, etc.

But when some of the other 19950 people post, it's a different ball game entirely!

I think that the mods have quite a difficult job. I can see people who might not be able to articulate that well on-line, and be quoted out of context. This could lead to locked threads, and everyone up in arms.

I wouldn't want to moderate on this BBS - I'd be a right *******!

Old 13 March 2003, 02:42 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Actually I was going to post that, in all seriousness, image doctor was right on the money.

Its easy to hide behind a keyboard.

Many can talk the talk, but can they walk the walk...I wonder.....
Old 13 March 2003, 02:43 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

>>what a turnip, I dont like HIM" for posting abuse..
exactly my point.

so can't we just all get along? If people actually had to meet up with the people they posted at some point, I'm sure you'd see a lot less arguments and a lot more respect..
Old 13 March 2003, 02:43 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Buzz, I wasn't referring to you with the bad press comment.
Old 13 March 2003, 02:44 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

thats exactly what happens Krank, youve seen it for yourself.

And when of course one of these "personas" gets a bad reputation it sticks but can be wiped out with a change of user name.
Old 13 March 2003, 02:45 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

[Edited by bros2 - 7/3/2003 3:17:56 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 02:47 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

D as a moderator (all praise them ) isnt there a way you can enforce some sort of "single user name"??

Can people be permanently banned from SN? I know there must be a problem with non-static IP's but isnt there a way?

I ask in ignorance 'cos Im not in IT unlike what seems to be 95% of Scoobynetters

I cant actually think of anyone I'd like to see banned, I generally get on with everyone I think...
Old 13 March 2003, 02:47 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well, I attend a fair few Scooby meets and have no need to skulk behind a keyboard. I've met a lot of Scoobynet members and anyone else wanting to meet me can. As I think has been made pretty clear recently, I have nothing to hide.
Old 13 March 2003, 02:49 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

"I think that everyone here has shared a moment"

(sobs)

"I think that we need" (sniffle) "a GROUP HUG!"

"comeone every body - let's all just get along!"

/me wonders how long till the abuse starts now
Old 13 March 2003, 02:50 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Talking

(Incidentally, TK is a witch, but don't tell her I said so, OK?)
Have you been bloody spying on me dancing naked under the stars and boiling children again?

Do I need to get another injunction??!

Old 13 March 2003, 02:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Well, I think I might comment on Emma vs TurboKitty, as i've met Emma a few times.

In my personal view Emma is a little quieter than TurboKitty, and, umm, well, that's about it really, and that is not meant as a bad thing either. Yes there are probably aspects of Emma that I've not seen, but then again, the same is true of me. As anyone who has met me will know, I'm slightly different from my persona, well, my muppet persona, my NSR persona is usually fairly accurate to the real me

Oh, and no, I am not sharking Emma so that is NOT why I am being nice! I am just being me!

As with most things, never judge a book by it's cover or more to the point. never judge a person by their internet persona We can and do react differently when sitting in front of a computer, because we can, whether we are being braver than we would in real life, or maybe being more submissive than we would be in the real world.
Old 13 March 2003, 03:04 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Much as it pains me to agree with ID, he's got a point
I really don't need people to start agreeing with me

As a direct result of SN I have been threatened, my GF has suffered abuse, she has been texted utter crap about me....and there is more!

ID - Thinks people take SN to serioulsy
Old 13 March 2003, 03:06 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Markus, I only seem quieter in real life because I only crop up on here when I have something to say. When we've met in real life there have been periods of time when I haven't had anything to say, so have been quiet.

However, on the occasions when I have had a point to make, have I been quiet? I cite such examples as scoobyvirgin and the water pistol and you trying to lick my spoiler. Fairly true to form wouldn't you say?
Old 13 March 2003, 03:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

True to form? yes, I'd say so. When you wish to make a point, you do, and my toes are still reeling from the thought of of being nearly run over. as for Jim and the water pistol, foolish man, very very foolish man, but I'd expect that from a seed bag!

So, conclusion? TurboKitty *is* the persona of Emma, but that is just my opinion, there's a lot you can't tell about a person from pure text, or a picture, you just have to meet them.

I pity anyone whose actually met me

postscript: You have nothing to hide? what's in the big box in the bottom of the wardrobe with the 'keep out' stickers on it?

[Edited by Markus - 3/13/2003 3:35:58 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 03:37 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Diclaimer: Markus has never seen my wardrobe!!
Old 13 March 2003, 03:45 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

[Edited by bros2 - 7/3/2003 3:18:18 PM]
Old 13 March 2003, 03:52 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Emma is right, never seen her wardrobe, though I get the feeling that the bottom of it would, surrounding the aforementioned box , would contain lots of shoes

Oh, and for the record, Emma cannot be a witch, why not? well, if she was then I'd have been turned into something rather nasty for trying to lick her spoiler!
Old 13 March 2003, 03:53 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

is that the vibrating nimbus 2000 as highlighted on SN a few months back?

The Product Review page was a hoot - All the American mothers saying how much their 12 year old daughters liked playing with a 3 foot long vibrating stick they stuck between their legs... one even said their daughter "spends hours in her bedroom playing with it"..

Quick Reply: locked before I could ask a question of TK