Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Want to know more about Down's Syndrome?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2003, 04:46 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Well said LMW.
Old 12 March 2003, 04:47 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

The links are very informative btw. People should definately have a look at them.
Old 12 March 2003, 04:51 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Thanks XT.

I find it a lot better to have practical experience with Down's people, I am fortunate enoguh to have with my sister and with the voluntary work I have done.
Nevertheless, it wasn't until I was in my late teens that I actually bothered to research into what caused Down's and learn about the various health problems that they suffered from.

I am not sure I agree with the term "accident of nature" I don't think my sister was an accident and I would never dream of swapping her for the world.
Old 12 March 2003, 05:50 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Here's food for thought. Can you put your hand on your heart and say you'd have the same attitude/perception of people with downs if you were an only child? I'm not having a go at all I'm just advancing the thread by pointing out you have a very unique perspective
Old 12 March 2003, 07:44 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

One thing about Down's syndrome people, they always have a big grin on their face. Wish I could do the same.
Old 12 March 2003, 09:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting reading, more people should know more about it, last year at somebody at work started giving me chapter and verse about a mate who works there also, apparently he has a lower than average life expectancy, etc etc, thing is my mate was in earshot and is sick of being discussed as if he isnt there or is mentally less able wasnt best pleased, the pillock was trying to tell me his misinformation about Downs Syndrome when my mate actually has Cerebral Palsy.

So well done Michelle for posting that, it might help get rid of some of the ignorance and confusion that surrounds disability, my mate at work gets treated appalingly sometimes yet holds down a job in IT(had to get something wrong), is married (for the second time) and has a child.

Old 12 March 2003, 10:51 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Cheers, its opened my eyes. Never actually knew the medical reasoning behind it.

Old 12 March 2003, 11:54 PM
oj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Respect to those who inderstand and have the good fortune of experiencing life with such wonderful individuals, who are often mis-understood due to ignorance.
They truely believe and understand the meaning of life, whilst the so called people who labelled themselves as 'normal' are blinkered and shallow....

As human beings we are sad, we judge others by appearances and initial responses, before we really get to know that individual. When we feel threaten we throw abuse and shy away..

Anyway, as stated above they are the ones ALWAYS SMILING..!!

Hat off to all those above...

OJ..

Old 13 March 2003, 05:32 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Yep, I echo that. They are always smiling.

My opinion is that they are gifts to us. I am very proud of my sister.

Saxo Boy, I don't expect everyone to have the same attitude/perception as myself. I am so lucky to have my sister and had the opportunity to work with other people with mental *disabilities*.
If I can just change the attitude/perception/understanding or whatever of one person....then that is great.

I think a lot of prejudice comes from not understanding or experiencing things - in other words innocent ignorance.
So hopefully these links will help people find out what Down's Syndrome is and start to realise that it isn't a disease or problem at all.

There is no shame in not knowing, there are many things that I don't know of concerning disabilities, but through my sister I have met vasrious people and found out more about what makes each of us different to the next person.

One thing, is that I have always found the hatred and prejudice to always be in the eyes of the "normal" person, never the one with the mental "disability".
Old 13 March 2003, 06:56 AM
STI SPUD
Scooby Regular

Smile

LMW,

What a wonderful thread !! I have had the pleasure of meeting and being involved with some young adults with downs via my dad who works for Mencap. They are such warm, loving, and friendly people.

Un-ashamedly I am going to plug a Rally that Dad is organising for Mencap Lufton College in Yeovil (where he works) - we are out to raise as much cash as possible for the college. Its on the 24th May starting at Warminster in Wiltshaire driving through some wonderful countryside ending up at Lufton Manor for cream teas etc. There will be a bar and live music in the evening and plenty of space for camping over !! Everyone keep your eyes on the southern and charity sections - Jen (hants scoobies) is very kindly updating the net for me !! It really is a wonderful cause for some wonderful people.

Rach
Old 13 March 2003, 07:00 AM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs up

Excellent stuff.

My sister has MENCAP friends. They whisk my sister away for a day or an evening and take her bowling, to the cinema, shopping, for a walk or whatever she wants to do.

This gives the family a break from my sister and also my sister a break from us!!!! She gets to meet new people and have a social life of her own.

Good luck for the rally, I won't be able to attend due to my location in Sydney. But I will be sure to donate.
Old 13 March 2003, 07:05 AM
STI SPUD
Scooby Regular

Cheers,

Forgot to mention that Vales of Yeovil are going to sponsor a special 'scooby' section - hoping to get at least 20 scoobs to go. Quite a few of the hants mob are up for it.
Excellent days driving !!

Rach
Old 13 March 2003, 11:31 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sneaky bump to the top from my alter ego.
Old 13 March 2003, 12:35 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

The "new parents" leaflet on the first link is very interesting Never knew such an excellent association exsited, must be great to have thier support

Interesting pages LMW...Jen(my step-sister, confusing eh? ) has lots of Down's friends - their house is a bit mad really as she lives there (unknown condition, but quite a few characteristics of Downs) with 2 other ladies with Downs, you can imagine what a mad house that is most the time!! Don't think I've ever seen Jen without being greated by a big grin and a hug

Always good to raise awareness Even better to go on a rally day to raise awareness! lol! Rach - let me know when you've got the info and I'll pop over and get it for distribution...nothing to do with seeing puppies of course!

Jen
Old 13 March 2003, 04:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My full respect LMW.

Les
Old 03 December 2003, 04:40 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Take a look at some of these sites.

http://www.dsa-uk.com/frameset.htm

http://www.thearc.org/faqs/down.html

http://www.whonamedit.com/synd.cfm/322.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/features...syndrome.shtml

There are a lot of people who don't know much about Down's Syndrome, I do because I am blessed with my sister.
I wish I could share my sister with everyone and I truly believe that the world would be a better place if everyone knew her.

Yes, I am biased, but so what.

She has no prejudice, she has no hang ups, she holds no grudges and FFS, she puts up with a pain in the *** idiot of a sister like me.
Those who have met her will back me up to the hilt.

Down's is not a disease, it is not a disability, it doesn't make that person retarded. It means that the person looks different to how we normally expect people to look like, it means that they struggle with some things, but excel in other things....things that may not seem important to us. It means that they are special.

[Edited by Little Miss WRX - 3/12/2003 4:44:05 PM]
Old 03 December 2003, 05:22 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Nice one LMW.

My sister is deaf and whilst I think she's a stunner (she gets lots of looks from guys when she's out), peoples perception of her changes when they see her hearing aids, or talking to her friends via sign language. She finds it very difficult to find a boyfriend yet she's as normal as me (if I'm normal ).

It's a shame but most people don't know how to deal with others who may have some form of a disability because they are either plain ingorant or frightened from their own inexperience.

And just to confirm what you say LMW, my sister works with dis-advantaged children and kids who have Downs and mum and dad have them over at Xmas time. I've been lucky enough to spend time with them and they are so loving that it's a pleasure to be around them.

SS23 (complete with warm feeling!)

[Edited by Scooby Snacks 23 - 3/12/2003 5:23:08 PM]