Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Siemens SL45i - opinions pleeze!

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2001, 09:30 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm about to buy a Siemens SL45i whilst changing over from Orange (Nokia 7110) to Vodaphone.

Just a few of questions -

1. What are your thoughts on this phone?
2. What are your thoughts on this network (compared to Orange)?
3.What software is available to send ringtones to the phone via SMS? I've got SmartSMS that I was using on my Nokia 7110 but don't know whether it will work with the Siemens.

4.Also, is there a type of 'LogoManager' (Nokia) for the Siemens?

5. Finally, what format are the Siemens ringtones? I've gathered that the phone can accept both WAV and MIDI files, but will it recieve RTTL files?

The main reason why I'm changing networks in purely that the Siemens isn't available on Orange. I'm looking at the Freedom 150 tarrif too (everybody O know is on Orange!).

The cheapest I've got it for so far is £90 (p/ex) with Carphone Warehouse.

Can anybody better this?

Cheers and thanks!

Dan
Old 14 October 2001, 03:57 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Ok,

I don't know much about the SL45, but I know it is availble here for £99 without need to PX. You should be able to get £50+ for you 7110 making it cost less than £50 which is cheaper!

http://www.directmobilephones.com/siemens_sl45voda.htm

Personally I would always stick to Orange (Free 0800 = very cheap calls also much better coverage than 1to1), but as they don't do the SL45 Voda are definately better than 1to1 & Cellnet interms of coverage.

However having formally worked onsite at Orange I can say one of the reasons they sell less models than the other networks, is all handsets are tested prior to launch and those which are troublesome arent launched at all. I don't know of Siemens having any particular quality problems though, so maybe Orange just couldn't do the deal.

Anyway another good source of cheap phones is Exchange and Mart, loads of mail order phone suppliers, and a quick call round should net you big discounts and free toys.

Happy Shopping

Jon
Old 15 October 2001, 11:11 AM
THORPEM
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have the SL45 and it Rocks !!!
32Mb MMC, MP3, Dictaphone etc etc. - You can store thousands of Tones (in midi format) and Logos (in bmp format!) to the Memory card directly from your pc - it comes with the data cable/Craddle/station/software. You can't send them via SMS but hey no big deal. You can use Card Explorer from the phone to explore the memory card folders etc and then load up any BMP file for a logo, you can also change and create your own startup animations ( I have a Subaru Logo that spins around in 3D sad eh but looks cool)
Make sure you have firmware V19/23 cause the earlier versions had a few bugs you don't want.
The phones Light and sexy as well.
Something to bear in mind the SL45i is out very soon - this is a software update only and gives ya Java - but word is siemens will upgrade your sl45 for ya - can't wait. - Edited - Upgrade costs 25 quid

[Edited by THORPEM - 10/15/2001 11:17:24 AM]

[Edited by THORPEM - 10/16/2001 1:55:00 PM]