Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Solicitors for buy a house - Reigate/Redhill area?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2003, 12:21 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any recommendations, had an offer accepted on a house at the weekend and need to get the ball rolling as it were.

Cheers, Alex
Old 10 March 2003, 12:39 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I used Morrisons in Redhill, they seemed OK. Only time I've ever bought a house though, so can't compare to anyone else. Little slow to start communicating, but quite good by the end.

Do you need an independent surveyor? Mine knew his stuff quite well, local for 20 years or more, but again, missed a couple of key points on the house, so guarded recommendation.
Old 10 March 2003, 01:25 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brendan,

Funnily enough Morissions are top of the list so far due to the no sale no fee part of their deal.

As for surveyors, I was going to let the mortgage company sort it.
But any suggestions gratefully received, as a first time buyer I'm a little wary and not 100% clued up on the whole house buying game.

Cheers, Alex
Old 10 March 2003, 01:32 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Mortgage companies surveys will only be interested in the financial aspects of the deal, i.e. will the mortgage company get its money back if they have to repossess or similar. The best advice is to commission an independant survey of the house, that way you get to read the report and to make an informed decision about the condition of the property. You haven't mentioned the age of the property, but getting a survey of your own can save big bills in the future.
Old 10 March 2003, 02:03 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for that - the property is only 8 years old, does that make a difference to your advice??

Thanks, Alex
Old 10 March 2003, 02:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Cool

Alex - am racking my brains to think of my surveyor's name. But I used him on a 90 yr old end of terrace Victorian cottage that hadn't been maintained for 25 years. I paid about 450 pounds for a full survey, I think a Homebuyer (less custom, more formally answering set questions) was 350-odd. TBH, unless you have any suspicions (big trees close to house, cracks in walls etc), I'm not sure I'd spend the money on the independent as well.

Roger Fairclough! That was his name. Pleasant chap. You can probably find him in Yellow Pages or some such.

...anyway, and if only 8 yrs old, you will still have 2 yrs left on the NHBC (??) guarantee, assuming it's transferable.

Where are you looking, if I may ask? I only had my house for 18 mths, and only lived there for 6 (!), but still loved it. Hardwicke/York Rd area of Reigate. Sold as I moved abroad, and needed the money to buy somewhere here. Too old and knackered (house, not me!) to rent out to anyone except pondlife, too.

Good luck
BJH
Old 10 March 2003, 03:29 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Reffro - thanks for the honest opinion, TBH, I was going to try get a survey done, not the home buyers and not the full structural, but the one that is somewhere inbetween them both.

Brendan - Without sounding rude (I hope) as you have been very helpful. I don't really want to give away the potential new location for my car. But its one of the good areas between Reigate/Redhill golf course and Redhill/Reigate town centres (sorry its so vague).

Cheers guys, Alex

Trending Topics

Old 10 March 2003, 03:34 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Alex - fair comment!
Old 10 March 2003, 04:01 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Brendan - thanks for understanding.
Old 10 March 2003, 04:56 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Talking

No-ones gonna nick that mate!

And my advice - don't park near a church or people will start chucking wreaths on it!
Old 03 October 2003, 02:29 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Then you should probably be alright, as it should still have the 10 year builders guarantee in effect. But on the other hand a survey that identified a problem now will give you chance to renegotiate the price is there is a severe problem, and give you the chance to have the work done prior to or soon after moving in to rectify the problem.

There are all sorts of reasons to have the survey done, mostly money, and the saving of expense later on down the line. The arguments against it are similar, an unnecessary expense right now is the one most used, when as you say the lenders are going to also have a survey done anyway.

One thing I always bear in mind, assuming the lenders survey misses a significant problem, the liabilty is not to you, but to the lender. Allied to the fact that a standard lenders survey is far from comprehensive, I hesitate to use the word superficial but, the lenders surveyors are not interested in looking into roof voids, under drain covers etc etc all the bits and bobs that can cause you grief, but don't necessarily worry a lender.

At the end of the day, my opinion can be argued as being unfairly pessamistic, but I'm from the safe than sorry camp when it comes to large sums of money, and a house is biggest purchase most people will make.

[Edited by Reffro - 3/10/2003 2:30:59 PM]