Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are these speed cameras?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2003, 01:42 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the M6 at the mo between J34 and J35 North and South bound there are road works with speed camera signs. However the cameras that are there do not look like any speed camera that I have ever seen before. They are a single camera on a long tall mast with a box at the bottom. The box has "Image systems" written on it. These cameras are spaced every 75yds or so. Any thoughts.
Old 09 March 2003, 02:02 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Similar cameras were around J30 during the recent roadworks there. I think that they are just to allow the police (probably via a contracted out company) to spot any broken-down cars in the narrow sections.

They must cost a fortune to install and run - there are loads of them! Surely it would be cheaper (and more efficient) to have a breakdown truck running up and down all day.

Maybe my common-sense idea won't work - hey next you will be telling me that attaching GP receivers that cost £15K a year to criminals ankles will reduce the prison population

Why is it that the authorities always seem to take the expensive, and often unproven, technology solutions to crack an egg

mb
Old 09 March 2003, 02:16 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Lets face it "flame suit on" the plods are stupid. If they were clever they would be doing something else earning more money It's a bit like local councils who think that they will be able to design their own one-way systems and reduce traffic congestion. If they were able to get their heads round fluid dynamics then why are they working for the local council?

In my local town they have just speant £500k on a new one way system. The down centre traffic has gone, causing congestion at either end of the main street. M&S reported a loss of £35k in the first week of the new system being installed. You would think that it would have been cheaper to install temporary lights and signs to see if the system worked first. Oh no. They just went ahead and did it. No turning back now.
Old 09 March 2003, 04:22 PM
evo kid
Scooby Regular

Dont worry mate , they are NOT speed camaras , they are to enable the free recovery firms patroling the road work section to cheak on traffic flow and look out for broken down vehicles , each camara has a number on it these are there so if you brake down they know where you are .