Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Counter-strike help

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2001, 09:09 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Had CS for 2 weeks now. Dowloaded approx 160MB of patches and I still haven't had a game.

Latest problem - when I click to find internet games it takes ages to scan 16000 sites. When I pick one to connect to it contacts server, starts downloading and then returns message "unable to complete connection".

Any help greatly appreciated............

P.S. I'm running zonelabs firewall but I don't think this is the problem.
Old 03 October 2001, 12:17 AM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

I'm using black-ice personal firewall software, and when running in mega-paraniod mode CS won't work at all. I think it blocks high ports from the client outwards, mabey because it think's it's trying to launch an attack outward?

Old 03 October 2001, 08:56 AM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

the problem with personal firewall software is the level of protection it decides is 'secure'.

the server needs to create a tcp session back to the client, and some firewall s/w detects this as a probe scan / attack and block it. I found that by reducing the paranoia levels in the firewall s/w it made my games work!
Old 03 October 2001, 10:30 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I have a separate firewall that doesn't allow inbound connections at all and this doesn't cause C/S any problems. C/S itself is UDP and typicallys uses high UDP ports.(e.g. 27015) If it authenticates with WON and connects to a games server I doubt it is your personal firewall casuing a problem.

The on-line game browser is fairly unhelpful but it is possible to make it do want you want. The first thing to do is too find some servers that are UK based and mark them as "favourites". Look at uk2.net
Old 03 October 2001, 02:38 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yeah to what deano said.

I have my Filter set to favourites only, and I put in some IP addresses from UK2.net, Barrysworld and nguk.

All I do is "refresh" not update and just those servers get checked, takes about 20 seconds tops.

If you find all x million servers, some of them are not actually responding, might be on a game not CS, but you haven't noticed the change. Sometimes they just do that, I put in another server Ip address then and have one more in the list.

For proper use of the CS1.3 version there is a small patch to d/l for Inferno map and Survivor map.
Old 03 October 2001, 10:54 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks for the help so far.

Gone down the UK2.net road and now I manage to connect to server and everything looks luvly jubbly. Then I get this error message "...client .dll differs from the servers"

Been on a forum and found this post.

"-You may have downloaded from a site carrying leaked out-of-date versions of the patches.
-You must completely uninstall any OpenGL hacks, wall hacks, or client.dll hacks installed on your system.

What does this mean? Is it correct.

Help greatly appreciated as "teather" and "end" spring to mind.
Old 04 October 2001, 11:09 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

msp 1

Don't give up just yet

the counter-strike.net site has a wizard to help you get the right version...

Old 04 October 2001, 11:52 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

DEANO

Thanks for the info. Re-installed and on the advice of the wizard installed CS1.3 patch.

Silly me, on my last install I downloaded HL patch as well.

Managed to connect to a game on Barrysworld but not on UK2 - error message about server/client .............. See what I can find on the forums.

Thanks again

Mike