Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Ripfast" bodybuilding stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2001, 05:51 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Following a bit of a recent get-fit campaign by me (3 stone of lard banished ) I've been half looking into doing a bit of body building and weight training. I've come across Ripfast, a UK company that offers supplements etc, on the internet. Question is, then, does anyone have any experience of these people and their products, good or bad?

[This message has been edited by SimonH (edited 01 October 2001).]
Old 02 October 2001, 06:49 PM
well hung
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest mate if your not taking it seriously then protein additives are a waste of money. Basically milk, eggs, cheese,bacon + chicken are all you need as long as you comitt yourself to hard work. Otherwise ask in your local gym. You may have given me the insentive to train again, er, no!

Old 02 October 2001, 07:35 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sound advice by well hung, feed yourself with the right food and that will be better than ripfast imho it's a load of crap.

Then go to the gym and tell them what parts of the body your want to work on, they will then sort out a routine for you.

You could get some creatine caps to feed the muscles, availible through holland and barret or any health shop a good bit cheaper.

Then theres all the hard work mate
Been training for the last 3 years (without cheating) and it takes time to get into the form you want.

Advice:Once you build up to your ideal size, keep going! When you stop going for a while it falls off you.

Hope this Helps.
Old 02 October 2001, 08:34 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm not sure about the cheese and bacon , but milk, eggs, chicken, tuna and lots of pasta are usually involved.

I also used to buy Ross stir fry frozen bags (were about £1.50 a few years ago). They do Chicken and Prawn (and others).These are full of vegetables and can be nuked with some water to produce a fair sized meal with almost nil fat.

If you live with anyone, buy them some air freshener and a peg as any high protein diet has some lingering "side effects" !

Thanks

Gavin

Old 02 October 2001, 09:03 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Simon,

Forget all these supplements m8, they're a waste of money. The only supplements that would enhance your training is the likes of creatine, but that's only once you've reached a very good level of fitness. For jow average just eating healthily is enough.

I used to lift weights, but it doesn't get you fit. It'll make you stronger and look bigger but it won't give your muscles stamina or get your heart and lungs working hard.

If you want to look good and be strong and fit with it, then put your effort into circuit training. You'd be surprised just how big your arms will get after 100 press-ups and it'll do your heart and lungs more good.

Just my humble opinions, but as well hung and cryptwalk have already mentioned it's about giving 110% effort every workout.

Stefan

Old 02 October 2001, 09:53 PM
Oz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just be careful you don't end up like this...
Old 02 October 2001, 10:09 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Red face

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Oz:
<B>Just be careful you don't end up like this...
Old 02 October 2001, 10:30 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for the replies guys.

I do a fair bit of training already and knock out about 3km treadmill and 3km ergo a day plus a fair bit of weight training about 4/5 times a week too. Since I've lost a fair bit of weight (3st over 8 months) I've found I've drastically lost my appetite and find it difficult to eat more than a big bowl of cereal in the morning, a sandwich for lunch (on very odd occasions) and an evening meal: anything much more than that bloats me out very quickly. Strange, cos I used to be able to eat for Britain.

This is mainly why I was looking at dietary supplementation. However going by your comments I think I'm probably better off as I am
Old 02 October 2001, 10:56 PM
cathal mc grath
Scooby Regular

simon never mind all this healthy food s**t and the gym. Your only job is to go swimming 5 nights a week, like i do. It's a right spot to pick up women too.
Old 03 October 2001, 08:17 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I trained as a body builder for 4 years (gave it up when my daughter was born about 4 years ago)

Eating :

Eat several small meals through the day - I ate at 8am / 11am / 2pm / 5pm & 8pm (or slightly earlier)
Growth foods = tuna / fish / chicken / pasta / red meat / eggs (yolk contains all the fat & the white all the protein) / rice etc etc.
I supplemented my meals with Protein shakes (8 egg whites, 2 egg yolks, milk)
Remember the body can only absorb x amount of protein in one go so dont go protein mad on any meals or the body just gets rid of it & doesn't absorb)
Eat an "energy snack" before training - chocolate bar or banana etc
Eat a "growth snack" after training (protein rich) There is a window for up to about 45mins directly after training where the muscles (if given the right nutrition) will grow much more than if not. During training the muscles are broken down. After training they begin to repair (& if heavier & heavier weights are used during training - they grow bigger than before - thats the whole principle of BB) As they repair they are starving for protein rich nutrients. If you can take in nutrition like this straight after training not only will it aide the muscles in repairing bigger & stronger but it will also speed up recovery times - so you can train again sooner on the same muscle group.

Training:

Always train with someone - not only will they check your form but will push you - the muscles dont grow after 10 bench press then stop - they grow on the 11th or 12th rep you squeeze out - & a partner can assist this.
Split the body up into parts over the course of a week so it fits into a 7 day cycle (below is an example)
Dont train opposing bodyparts - train complimentary ones...eg dont train biceps & triceps - train chest & triceps - why ? because when you train chest, the triceps get a light workout & therefore warm up nicely ready to be blasted. Also large body parts should always be trained with smaller body parts (& the larger bodypart should always be done first) There are other reasons for this (too long to go into here)
I trained :
Monday : Chest / Triceps / Abs
Tuesday : rest
Wednesday : Back / Biceps / Abs
Thursday : Rest
Friday : Legs (needs a workout on its own)
Sat : rest
Sun : rest
Monday : repeat.
This was one of my favorites - change your training around constantly - after about 4 weeks the muscles get used to your workout duration & frequency & growth slows down - change things around & "confuse" the muscles - this stimulates growth.

For size - train 3 sets / heavy weights / 8-10 reps
For definition - train 4-5 sets / lighter weights / 12-15 reps.

Only rest 30 secs max between sets.

On my rest days I might do some cardio vascular (bike / rowing / running etc)

Form is king !
How many times have we all seen the gym **** with a barbell so heavy he is jerking it around with no control?
Form is too long a subject to go into here - but golden golden rule is strict form - if doing bicep curls keep the back straight & bicep straight too - just curl the forearm.

4-5 secs upward motion & 3-4 secs on the downward motion - ALL EXERCISES. the longer the muscle is under strain the better. Keep it slow......

Do it 100% right & I guarantee that you will need to drop the weight by 30%

There are so many other things to go into that I have brain fade now.

Good luck & enjoy it - keep it fun otherwise you will give up.

If you need any more help - email me !!

Ro.

[This message has been edited by RoShamBo (edited 03 October 2001).]
Old 03 October 2001, 04:26 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Simon

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss.
A question for you regarding your success so far. Did you change your diet before you lost the weight or did you find your diet adapted with the weight loss?

For now, I would suggest not bothering with Ripfast, Creatine or any other products. Weight until you are sure ripped is the way you want to go. Remember a lot of these products are protein based. Your body uses the protein to build [repair] torn muscle. All unused protein is turned to gas and ejected through your **** orifice.
Roshambo's comments for training are spot on. A smart guy would borrow this sensible training advice and, adapt according to the results you really want. Keep it simple.

Old 03 October 2001, 09:49 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Red face

Thanks for the tips Ro - you sound like you know what you're talking about!

Bajie - as regards my diet, I just decided that I was a fat git and gave up eating crap! I cut right down on what ate, went to the gym and found that my appetite quickly adapted. The other biggy was giving up booze - I stopped completely for 8 months; how much fun was I last xmas?

thanks again folks