Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any installshield devlopers/consultants (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2001, 12:32 AM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

We are hanving some problems with an installshield app. It passes all our QA, on loads of platforms but causes all sorts of errors (alledgedly) on the customers PCs.

If you were writing a script to install on a "small office" (i.e No standards) PC environment what percentage of install succuss/fail would you reasonably expect?

Also If I hire a consultant to help for 2-3 days are any of you qualified/available?

Can you help?

Dave.
Old 02 October 2001, 04:42 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

Depends what the users are doing on their machines. If it's completely unmanaged like you say, then you could assume that it's a screensaver / demo game / office best download oneupmanship contest.....I would still not expect Installshield to fail miserably - what core components does the app contain - Common Controls / MDAC / ....

It really depends on what you are trying to distribute within the package, for example IE6 is available for download now, so if they have installed that (little blighters) then you may have a rough ride.... need a bit more info really.....
Old 02 October 2001, 06:47 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Dave,

As Cripspin said above, more info. required. Ask them to to supply the actual error messages.

Do these problems occur during the InstallSheild install or afterwards ?

Does the software try to replace any OS files ? If so are you doing an 'if later version, then install' thang on them ? Are you then forcing a reboot ?

I'm certainly not qualified, but willing to help if I can

(P.S. I use WISE rather than IS but the problems encountered are usually the same )

Cheers

Ian