Question for BOB.T

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2001, 02:18 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Bob,

I seem to remember that you work in a Ford garage, so my question concerns my wife's car a Galaxy TDi (the old 110 bhp model).

It's a great family barge, and it's got lots of toys on it, but I am concerned about the performance. It seems to have a MAJOR flat spot around 2,500 revs, and does not like revving above that. You can eventually go beyond, but its nothing like the old Peugeot 405 TD we used to have.

Before my dealer tells me that they all do that, what do you think? Is it worth having it chipped (even if it invalidates the rest of the 3 year warranty?

Cheers.
Old 29 September 2001, 01:06 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi XRS, wow people seem to remember a lot about me

Yeah I do work in a Ford dealership, in the bodyshop I personally haven't experienced any misfire probs with the Galaxy but I can ask in the workshop for you.

We have one of the best technicians in the country, he's actually banned from winning technician of the year now, he <I>has</I> to come second

Bob
Old 29 September 2001, 08:51 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks, Bob. It's not a misfire, but a flat spot - the power just stops building revs, or at least revs build very slowly. I know you're not supposed to over-rev diesels, but this is only using less than half the rev range, although if you are patient it will get there eventually.

The best mechanic I ever came across was also in a Ford dealership and worked on my 3-door Cosworth. Brooklyn in Redditch. Don't know if he won any prizes, but I certainly knew when he had looked at the car!
Old 30 September 2001, 10:01 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

It seems you might have an overboost problem. You need to have a look at the vacuum pipes which run to the actuator, apparently they can rub on the bulkhead. Failing that it's gonna need to go on the diagnostic machine at your dealer

As for the chip, well we haven't had any experience of them so, dunno! I guess if you don't tell anyone, who's to know??? Just don't put Superchips stickers all over the car

Bob