Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What are your views....

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 06:20 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.... on parents being given prison sentances because of their children constantly bunking off school?

It is happening to my parents if my younger brother bunks off one more time. They definately DON'T condone it, they didn't even know he was doing it. I am absolutely livid. My parents are respectable upstanding members of the community and definately don't deserve it.

Does anyone know of a way round this? Or know anyone it has happened to? What do you think of it?

I'm telling you, the little sod is lucky I am living 250 miles away from home [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Loo
Old 05 March 2003, 06:35 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

I think its f*cked up personally (Im a primary school teacher).

Sent to prison because the kid doesnt want to go to school? Thats harsh and uneccessary.

They should make sure he gets to school in the mornings (as in take him and stay with him until hes inside if practical.) After that, if he leaves the school during the day it is not the parents responsibility. They will have done all they can.
Try talking to him and seeing why he doesnt want to go in- may be being bullied etc..
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

When I was at school I didn’t ever bunk off because I was afraid of what my old dear would do (im not that old im only 24). I think some parents are to soft on there kids, just because you lose your rag, smack or ground a kid doesn’t mean your abusive it’s just good discipline. I think these days kids aren’t disciplined enough and don’t really give a **** about disobeying there parents because they know there will just be a little telling off and all will be forgot. Being afraid of what your parents will do if you disobey them is a good deterrent im my opinion.

Tim.
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

Angry

I support it 100%.
If your parents can't even keep tabs on the ****** they need 'educating' !!!!!!!!
Old 05 March 2003, 06:36 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

Yep, it is hard to believe. But the little sh1tbag was intercepting letters from the school and writing his own notes.
Old 05 March 2003, 06:38 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

intercepting letters from the school and writing his own notes
Ahhh, good old initiative.................good luck to him, he'll go a long way.
Old 05 March 2003, 06:43 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

Andy,

A question for you, Do you have children?

Don't you think they try their best? They are the type of parents who work full time and damn hard to give their children the best life possible. He is the youngest of three, I hardly think they need educating on how to raise children.

The kids have to take responsibilty too. You can't expect the parents to beable to keep tabs on their kids 24 hours a day. They should beable to trust their children to go to school and stay there for the day until that bell rings at the end of the day. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Loo

Trending Topics

Old 05 March 2003, 06:51 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Surely there should be some sort of home visit by the school authorities and/or Social Services before court action is threatened? After all, your brother wouldn't be the first to intercept letters to his parents.

I do have my own views on imprisoning parents and feel that in some cases it is totally justified - however I wouldn't want to generalise to include your parents in this statement.

Now that your parents are aware of the situation they should be given the chance to rectify matters. Knowing some kids they'd think it would 'be a laugh' to bunk off again and get your parents in trouble.

Oh, and BTW, if I was you I'd travel the 250 miles and kick his stoopid ****!
Old 05 March 2003, 06:59 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

Moose,

I'm am very tempted to book a flight for friday night. I'm telling you, he maybe getting older and bigger but he is still **** scared of his big sister.

The thing is, he is sitting his exams this year. They start in May. They are even threatening to stop him from sitting them and chuck him out of school. I really don't want that or my parents to be sentanced to happen, but if it came down to choosing one or the other I would rather he get chucked, it's his damn fault and it shouldn't be taken out on my parents at all.

Loo
Old 05 March 2003, 07:12 PM
Philip Attaway
Scooby Regular

Location: RS6 heaven. 505/445 Scooby Eater (whilst watching TV)
He sounds a right little $hite.

Can you not get him adopted

Phil
Old 05 March 2003, 07:18 PM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

LOO, no kids here I'm afraid and hopefully we never will. Just not my cup of tea.
Your parents have my full sympathies, I'm sure they try their best.
I'm just sick of hearing terrible stories of youngsters vandalising and terrorising old people etc, day in, day out.
If it's an consolation the biggest Yob in my year (he was a hard core criminal) is now a born again christian preaching to anybody who will listen to him.Funny how things turn out.
Best of luck.
Old 05 March 2003, 07:30 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

LMAO. Kids nowadays want to live the high life straight away, I think thats what the problem is. They don't actually realise how hard it is when you first start out.

I think the government should rethink the whole thing.

The little sh1te won't know what has hit him when I give him a surprise visit this weekend. I'm trying to convince my dad to fit a lock on the outside of the door so he can't run away.

I am so angry, but most of it is dissappointment. Just can't seen to get through to him other than kick his sorry little ***.
Old 05 March 2003, 07:34 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Chances are that if he is sitting his exams this year it already to late he has probably missed vital work and has little chance of obtaining good grades. I my self didn’t get the best GCSE grade’s and had to leave school at 16 but I was given an ultimatum by my old dear ether get a dead end job because she wanted £20 a week in board and go no ware in life or go to college and get my self some sort of qualification and live at home for free if I opted to do nether I would have to leave (probably just a bluff but it worked). I started a two year Electrical Engineering qualification(and passed) got a job and I still live at home for free 7 years later my old dear didn’t like the fact that I was not planning on doing anything and just sponging off them. You don’t really think what you will be doing 10 years down the line when you’re 16 and you really a jump start into reality. I think you should sit down with him and ask if he wants to do anything with his life if he wants nice clothes, fast cars, big houses and other things associated with having a good job, and if he does ask how he plans to get there. If not tell him you will wash your hands of him and ask him to leave. Sounds harsh but it works.

Tim.
Old 05 March 2003, 07:34 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Why don't they put the kids in some sort of detention centre. Not the kind that gives them a free holiday, but the military type like they do in the US. Would teach them to be a bit more responsible for their actions.

Part of the problem I believe is the move in culture with regard to stay-at-home Mums. Not saying it's a bad thing, but my Mum was always there when I got in from school and this kept me out of trouble to a certain extent.

I never skipped school. I was **** scared of what my parents would do!
Old 05 March 2003, 07:36 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

Yeah i think it is justified .... if my kids put me in this situation i would personally take them to school every morning and make sure they went inside.
could there be though a reason why he is not going to school other than the usual can't see the point attitude?
Old 05 March 2003, 07:47 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

good luck to him, he'll go a long way.
yea, like all the way down the pan. He's already started on the slippery slope by the sound of it.

Take that flight. Go and kick his ar$e before it's too late the devious little scumbag [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05 March 2003, 08:25 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I think its a stupid law......(talking from experince).

Old 05 March 2003, 08:45 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Angry

I agree Paul,

It sounds like he needs a good proper kick up the ****! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05 March 2003, 08:52 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Question

A question for you all....

If you found out your 14 year old son had nicked your credit card and spent £1000 what would you do?....
Old 05 March 2003, 09:03 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Any Playstations, TV's, DVD players, PC,s or bike's that he had would be sold to pay it off.
Old 05 March 2003, 09:09 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

You might want to take a look at the thread about circumcision.

Tim.
Old 05 March 2003, 09:10 PM
grabber
Scooby Regular

its about time we had some kind of boot camp over here to teach these little ferckers some respect, instead of the usual mamby pamby deprived childhood crap!!!!!!!
Old 05 March 2003, 09:14 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Angry

If your little brother doesn't want to go to school - he shouldn't. He would probably spend all day disrupting the other kids trying to get a decent education !

Locking your parents up will get him to realise the error of his ways (as I suspect he would have to be looked after by you - and that sounds scary ).

The point of the new approach is to stop truancy - sounds to me like it's solving one problem by creating at least two others - probably a tree hugging activists Idea - probably Glenda Jackson !!
Old 05 March 2003, 10:29 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Smile

YHM.
Old 05 March 2003, 11:31 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

This is good news indeed. This would hopefully stop certain people from ever having kids again..
Old 06 March 2003, 12:35 AM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kids nowadays want to live the high life straight away, I think thats what the problem is. They don't actually realise how hard it is when you first start out.
Spot on,....spot on.
There are too many parents (not yours) that just don't give a flying **** what their kids get up to that this is the result,if the parents don't care lock the bsatards up,once again the lazy,thick ****wits(parents who don't care) of this world have brought trouble to those who don't deserve it (your parents)by forcing the government to take such drastic action.
Old 06 March 2003, 12:17 PM
Scooby_Loo
Scooby Regular

Angry

It's good to see that most of you are with me on this.

I think these issues take priority over this stoopid *** war. The government say the children of today are the future of the country, so why aren't they taking this seriously? why are they using what seems as the first idea they come up with in a 5 minute brainstorming session? There surely must be a different approach they can take.

D1ckheads.

Loo
Old 06 March 2003, 12:29 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

I think it depends on the parents... when you look at some of them they should be locked up, but it should be on a case by case basis.

As for the kids, I reckon detention centres should be toughened up. I think the military prison is called "the glass house" and it is scary that they only have something like a 2% reffence rate.

Problem these days is offenders are turned into victims by too soft laws.

Dave
Old 06 March 2003, 12:58 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Loo, if you think kicking his butt will work, do it.

But do try and get his side of the story and try to help at the same time - is he bullied? (Try to help him or empathise) or does he just want to be a small-time drug dealer acting like the rappers on MTV? (Kick his butt so hard he can't sit down for a month).

I've got a 14 yr old at school, not wanting to work hard/ at all coz he's lazy and has never needed to. When I said he could only go skiing if he got certain grades, he suddenly stepped up two gears and almost managed them. I paid for the trip on condition that he keeps up at that speed - which I'm pretty sure he hasn't. He's in for a heavy threat, I'm not sure what yet. I'm not into violence against kids, so I think it will be losing his beloved Discman until such time as he does get the grades - which, if not at end of summer term, will mean Christmas :tough shyte smiley:.

Find out what motivates them and what terrifies them. And use it.

Good luck. Oh, and please let us know how you get on.

Brendan
Old 06 March 2003, 12:59 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

There seems to be a bit of double standards here - on the one hand they are saying to your parents "get your kid to school or we will lock you up". And then they are saying "but we are not going to let him sit the exams and will kick him out anyway".
It seems to me (as a non-parent) that the people who are generally targeted are the "easy" cases - ie the middle-class, respectable, "normal" (for want of a better word) parents who genuinely do all they can to raise their kids in the correct way, whilst the parents who really need a bit of gentle persuasion (ie those who don't give a damn) immediately play the "under-privileged working class victim of society" card. I am in danger of getting into a class war argument here, which is not my point. I just think that this is possibly a case of making an example and appears to be inappropriate.
At the end of the day your brother needs to understand the appalling position he is putting your parents in. Your parents are obviously responsible for his actions up to a point. But if he persists in bunking school and deceiving them your parents cannot (or at least should not) be expected to monitor him 24 hours per day. What are they supposed to do - quit their jobs and live off income support so that they can keep an eye on him?
I havent written this very clearly so please nobody get offended about my middle/working class comments above. I am not suggesting that middle class are better parents.

Steve

Quick Reply: What are your views....