Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Endowments - Another Question

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 12:38 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Question

Took out an Endowment (with Profits - Sun Alliance) in 1992 to cover a flat purchase.

Subsequently sold the flat & paid off the lender in full. I've kept the endowment going for the last few years as it seemed silly not to & to make into something like University Fees in 15 years time ( ).

It has a death benefit & a minimum guarantee of the value of the property I purchased (£50K).

What I want to know is it worth putting that endowment against £50K worth of my present pay-back mortgage? And would it actually make much difference to the payments? Or any better suggestions to do with it.
Old 05 March 2003, 01:23 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd speak to an Independant financial advisor.. Id recommend mine.. but he's local to me..

David
Old 05 March 2003, 01:29 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
puff, is your present loan repayment or interest only? if its the first then you dont need to use any investment alongside it....if you mean can you turn 50K of it into interest only then yes you could and the cost would drop as you are now only paying interest on that 50k, the capital being repaid by the endowment....is that a good idea? depends on the time the plan has to run, the time the loan has, your attitude to risk, blah, blah, blah.

if your loan is interest only and you have no repayment vehicle then you need something to repay the debt- your endowmnet MAY be as good as anything else, still depends on a few varibles though.

if you conclude that the loan has no need for the endowmnet then you may as well leave it running its course (assuming you can afford it)

T
Old 05 March 2003, 01:39 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Guess its 1st paragraph - Repayment mortgage
Old 05 March 2003, 01:45 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

then your loans repaid by you each month bit at a time- you have no need to use an investment to clear any of the debt. if you want to alter the loan so that yo pay less each month and become reliant upon the endowmnet to clear the capital in the future then you can....back to attitude to risk.
Old 05 March 2003, 02:02 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

ATR - you know me!

Hmmm, so where's me nearest branch of the...
Old 05 March 2003, 09:28 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I am not a financial adviser, and have an endowment mortgage. When I move after my wedding I will be changeing to a repayment mortgage but keeping the endowment.

When the endowment matures in 15 odd years I will just use it to pay off some of the capital from the repayment mortgage. So I am going to use mine as a investment, where the risk is it may not hit its target, but I think thats better than anything lse at present.