Bremner Bird and Fortune

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2003, 10:05 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

So, they just announced that this week was 'the last one for a while'

Have they pulled the show because it was getting 'too close to the bone' now the war's about to start?? I hope not. We *need* that quality of satire right now...
Old 03 March 2003, 11:41 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

I think it's like the US comedian (can't remember who) who said that satire died the day when Henry Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize ... it's hard to see what further points BB&F could make when Bush & Blair are such obvious targets, and without just showing the same programme again & again ...

Great programme tho
Old 03 March 2003, 12:12 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

wouldn't be surprised if you're right uncle.

i like BB&F a lot, however it's all getting so totally one-sided that it's starting to grate.

they make the french, germans and russians sound unrealistically altruistic in this. all three are attempting to protect substantial existing trade links with saddam's regime, a fact almost exclusively avoided. plus it was the germans that very kindly sold saddam the production infrastructure for making his own chemical and biological weapons in the first place. another uncomfortable fact that cuts across an increasingly naked anti-bush and anti-blair prejudice.

saddam, the villain in all of this, gets away pretty lightly.

don't see them taking the mick out of the bennites or the human shields.

personally i think they've lost the satirical plot. it's become more like a party political broadcast for the SWP.
Old 03 March 2003, 01:50 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Question

You sure it hasn't just reached the end of the series and they're trying to be clever with the way they announce it?
Or is it just that it's not funny any more and the viewing figures have taken a dive.
r
Old 03 March 2003, 05:17 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Could be that they're just rescheduling to clear more slots for more news coverage of the war (which is likely to start next Thursday, apparently). There's been several other programs which have been shelved, postponed or rescheduled for precisely this reason.
Old 03 March 2003, 07:03 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

The programme is so spot on and accurate, i reckon that BB&F should be running the country.

It sunk home last week when Psysco-Straw was making his speech in the commons, how Bremner had his mannerisms and style understood to the n'th degree.

Last nights program, with Bush's gorilla walk, and Brenda telling Bliar what a prat he is continued the brilliance.

I suppose that a whole hour a week is just too much - shame

mb
Old 03 March 2003, 07:25 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

top show - loved this series more than the others...some real classic moments (not to mention...);

- every time rory does the ian duncan smith "wooooo" with the hand movements
- blair reading from the teleprompter which displayed the text for george dubya bush, and he had to change it on the fly to fit, brilliant.

as boomer said, must be hard work writing and shooting a show a week ( 1 hour long ). some of the material is the work of a comedy genius and i'm amazed they can make it so fast.